Sign in to follow this  

WOW Mediocre reviews ...

I am suprised by the mediocore reviews on metacritic, i thought this game would be better than that , those of you that have it , are those reviewers right ?

People who review a game on metacritic either give it a 10 or 1 as they either love the game, or have issues with it. That's kind of how reviews happen ūüėē

3 minutes ago, UP100 said:

People who review a game on metacritic either give it a 10 or 1 as they either love the game, or have issues with it. That's kind of how reviews happen ūüėē

yeh agreed , but you can always get  "a feel" of how good or bad a game is by what people are saying

2 hours ago, Madmaz116 said:

I am suprised by the mediocore reviews on metacritic

And I'm not

• Haha 2
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

And I'm not

There are 4 "Positive" reviews (3 by developers, one by a user) and one "Mixed" review (One user)

• Like 1
  • Disagree 2

I have played a lot of racing games in my time. Been gaming longer than I care to admit. I can assuredly say this game is great at what is sets out to do. Simcade at its finest. Wonderful sound, beautiful graphics, good balance between challenge and fun, assists for the inexperienced, cars can be tuned but not excessively so etc.

IGN gave it an 8.7, and as seen above the general consensus from other critic sites is glaringly positive. I think one site gave it a 7.5, which is inaccurate IMO.

Its a great game, all in all. And I can say this based on the 2-3 hours I spent with it last night..mediocrity is not an apt description for this title, it well exceeds average.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Well let me just say so far I am having more fun than with any racing game in a while- and I've tried them all from pure arcade to hardcore sim on every platform. Why? Can't really explain it. The game is definitely not perfect- the graphics are rough in some areas. But the races have been great and haven't gotten that just one more race compulsion in a while. 

• Agree 4

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, OilSlicker said:

Well let me just say so far I am having more fun than with any racing game in a while- and I've tried them all from pure arcade to hardcore sim on every platform. Why? Can't really explain it. The game is definitely not perfect- the graphics are rough in some areas. But the races have been great and haven't gotten that just one more race compulsion in a while. 

Yup, agreed. Was up until 3am last night playing. Tired as all hell today - but it’s worth it. I was having a blast.

I honestly think it’s because the game is so approachable in so many ways. No scripted career path, the handling choices, the intuitive AI.

Just works on a few levels, culminates nicely.

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Agree 1

Metacritic reviews are usually worthless and filled with protest reviews. You've got the guys who will give a game 1 out of 10 because they got banned from the Steam forums, then you've got the guys who will give the game 10 out of 10 to combat the 1/10's.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

There is nothing surprising. Small scope, lack of any significant content, bad graphics, bad physics, bad damage model. It all screams like an attempted cash grab to capitalize on an iconic name.

Edited by LeoNatan25
  • Agree 8
  • Disagree 2

11 minutes ago, LeoNatan25 said:

There is nothing surprising. Small scope, lack of any significant content, bad graphics, bad physics, bad damage model. It all screams like an attempted cash grab to capitalize on an iconic name.

and fun driving and competitive races that don't seem scripted. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, OilSlicker said:

and fun driving and competitive races that don't seem scripted. 

"fun driving" and "competitive races" are subjective and generic descriptions that can be thrown at any racing title, arcade or sim. F1 is "fun driving" and certainly "competitive", so is Forza, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, etc. If you ignore the latter ones and focus on "simcade" racers, there are still far better options than Grid 2019.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

No, it's true that whether you like a driving model in a game is subjective. But what is not subjective is you can run the same single player race in GT Sport over and over for instance and the AI drivers will run the race the same way basically every single time. They also have no personality traits, different driving styles, they are simply random generic names that are programmed to drive the same way over and over. 

Take some time to actually play the game and find out its strengths before you give a 1/10 rating like most of the dumbbutts on these rating sites. 

Edited by OilSlicker
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, UP100 said:

Some years ago YouTube changed the rating system from 5 stars to like/dislike, since most people only gave 1 or 5 stars

On 10/8/2019 at 1:54 PM, Madmaz116 said:

I am suprised by the mediocore reviews on metacritic, i thought this game would be better than that , those of you that have it , are those reviewers right ?

Not just on Metacritic... the reviews from the two F1 YouTubers I've seen so far aren't great either.

• Agree 1

ACG's review has stopped me buying this day one. I may pick it up, but only if the information in other reviews is substantially more positive.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sir.Smoke said:

The game itself is good but it's lacking features. Needs updates.

That and FFB overhaul for wheel users. I am enjoying it, and it checks many of the boxes - but I fear it’s longevity for me with suffer unless they correct the FFB, and multiplayer options.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, scottishwildcat said:

Not just on Metacritic... the reviews from the two F1 YouTubers I've seen so far aren't great either.

It's currently at 2.7 on Xbox store with the words "mediocre", "underwhelming" and "grindy" cropping up. I have it free for 24 hours (downloading now) so i'm going to see for myself.

• Agree 1

I Played it 10-12 hours (PC, Steam). And i love it. Yes there are a few features that still need to be extended (Multiplayer, maybe more Cars, more Tracks ...) but on the whole it is a fabulous racing game. I love the AI, the Nemesis system, the Career Mode. The Sound is great. I hope that Codemasters will support this game over a long period of time. I would give the game a 8.5-9.0 out of 10. If the Multiplayer will be extended (Public Custom Games, Lobbys, Text/Voice Chat and so one) that it will be a 9.5 / 10. We will se what the future will bring to this game.

Edited by SilentGSG9
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, SilentGSG9 said:

I Played it 10-12 hours (PC, Steam). And i love it. Yes there are a few features that still need to be extended (Multiplayer, maybe more Cars, more Tracks ...) but on the whole it is a fabulous racing game. I love the AI, the Nemesis system, the Career Mode. The Sound is great. I hope that Codemasters will support this game over a long period of time. I would give the game a 8.5-9.0 out of 10. If the Multiplayer will be extended (Public Custom Games, Lobbys, Text/Voice Chat and so one) that it will be a 9.5 / 10. We will se what the future will bring to this game.

Not sure about 9.5/10 because that suggests flawless (the complete package) and as a said earlier i've already played/watched it for around 4 hours and there were noticeable shortcomings. You kind of have to judge it on what it is as opposed to what it might become and my initial concerns were longevity due to the relatively small amount of content, with multiplayer 'as is' also a bit of a concern and unless I completely overlooked them there didn't seem to be any time trial leaderboards either - those points alone suggesting Grid is far from flawless.

I guess i'll find out just as soon as XBL realises I have 300mb broadband and not the 9-21mb i'm currently getting. Bah!

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_

I'd give the game a solid 70-80% (playing on PC). I'm but 4 6 hours into the game and have completed about a dozen events so far. Playing on hard and with manual shift, I can't tell much about the Nemesis system yet, the AI simply can't compete if I use qualifying - I will have to see for the higher events to tell for sure. In duel the AI drivers feel vivid and try to stand their ground.

Graphics and performance in 2k are great but not as smooth as FM7 or FH4 on my machine (i78700k, 32GB RAM, GTX1080, SSD, XBox X Controller), the only real issue I have with the graphics is the very unbalanced lighting, especially in cockpit view.

The cars feel different and close to what you'd expect (e.g. nimble, go-cart-like Mini, heavy RWD powered Muscle cars or high-performance and precision formula cars with little space for failures at extreme Speeds). Independent of the multiplayer, the game will offer me dozens of hours of fun. Still, I hope the multiplayer will deliver the fierce experience of the old GRID games.

*UPDATE*
Calling the solo game a carreer is a bit exaggerated. There's no narrative element or noticeable progress line (as in Dirt Rally). You can start in all classes and unlock new races and cars and that's it. Some call the game a bit repetitive after a while… it's a circuit racing game, of course it will get repetitive (ever watched Formula 1?!). There are no car upgrades in the game, you can chose livery and customize them with colors and you have a very basic Tuning before races. I don't mind, it's an arcade racer, pick your car, don't doctor, race!

Cars of a class seem to be balanced, they differ in power and weight and sometimes drivetrain but power to weight Ratio seems rather equal to me. So while differing in behavior, they seem to be equally competitive.

About the "team": I have not much of an idea about the team driver you can pick... I think it's an neglectable element. I just get the best driver available for a class and ignore the loyality (if you drive good he'll stay in your back anyway). You can give him commands to support you somehow… but I just focused on the race instead.

I really welcome the possibility to qualify with a hot lapbefore a race, a lacking point in Forza games that always ****** me off (especially in harder difficulties). If you place and drive well, the AI won't magically rubberband to your position either . Experienced racing gamers should start at hard or maximum difficulty.

Last night I had my first multiplayer quickmatch (a set of three races) against three other VIP buyers, the rest was filled with AI. Positioning without qualifying seemed balanced to me, in the 1st race I started at 13th, in the 2nd at 3rd and in the last race at 7th position. Performance and connection looked fine to me, on the other hand we were but four human players. A full human GRID with today's release will show more.

So far, I really enjoy the game. If you want a few quick and fun rounds without much fuzz, it's the right thing.

WISHLIST
- better lighting or lighting options
- point to point races? Are there any? I only see round Courses
- performance improvement (at 2k with max settings I got 60fps mostly, but it's not perfectly smooth)

Edited by T0RAN

On 10/8/2019 at 2:54 PM, Madmaz116 said:

So far the game doesn't feel complete. The trailers and build-up set expectations really high and CM hasn't delivered yet. Just feels like a Autosport DLC missing a lot of the things that made Autosport complete. hopefully patches and updates start raining in with fixes to the requests we've been sending to the devs.

• Agree 2