FFB - thoughts and impressions

Today I drove my Logitech G29 in Grid for the first time (play on the PC and have the Steam version). Thought first the FFB would be ok. After that I drove a few laps in Project Cars 2.....
What should I say... The FFB feels so much better in Project Cars 2. You really feel the road, the vibrations in the car and so much more. The power that the G29 unfolds in Project Cars 2 I wouldn't have thought possible after the first laps in Grid. So please, please, please work again on the implementation of the FFB in Grid. The game really deserved it because otherwise Grid is a lot of fun for me, at least in singleplayer....

PS. Sorry for my poorly english. Greetings from Germany 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, SilentGSG9 said:

Today I drove my Logitech G29 in Grid for the first time (play on the PC and have the Steam version). Thought first the FFB would be ok. After that I drove a few laps in Project Cars 2.....
What should I say... The FFB feels so much better in Project Cars 2. You really feel the road, the vibrations in the car and so much more. The power that the G29 unfolds in Project Cars 2 I wouldn't have thought possible after the first laps in Grid. So please, please, please work again on the implementation of the FFB in Grid. The game really deserved it because otherwise Grid is a lot of fun for me, at least in singleplayer....

PS. Sorry for my poorly english. Greetings from Germany 

Don’t worry about your English, your points are well documented and clearly stated 👍

Yes, the FFB needs tweaking. I said in many other posts - the game has good bones, now we just need some muscle put on the skeleton. FFB improvement being one of them. I believe they will deliver, just hope it doesn’t happen 6 months down the line! 😉

12 hours ago, Buckwilder said:

Don’t worry about your English, your points are well documented and clearly stated 👍

Yes, the FFB needs tweaking. I said in many other posts - the game has good bones, now we just need some muscle put on the skeleton. FFB improvement being one of them. I believe they will deliver, just hope it doesn’t happen 6 months down the line! 😉

Any word on if they are looking into FFB? It took them a loooooooooong time to fix the Dirt 2.0 FFB. I would hope FFB is way infront of trees which seems to be the issue the forum is most concerned with. 

6 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Ahh so is it just an Xbox issue? Ok on PS4/Pro?

Not sure TBH, but users of other hardware are complaining about poor FFB also - not sure if it’s confined to XBOX exclusively or an issue across the board. I’m guessing the latter but perhaps those on Xbox using TM products have been more adversely impacted than others?

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:23 AM, Buckwilder said:

@millertheman

Glad to hear it 👍

I really...really (did I mention really?), hope they step up the FFB, and add seat adjustability so I can drive in cockpit view. Then the game would be a total slam dunk for me. 

Targeting controller users as the primary and leaving wheel users in the cold seems wrong in this day and age. A major contingent of gamers on racing titles use driving hardware nowadays, so as to why so many settings were omitted with FFB, as well as the overall feel of things in their current state and why it is so anemic - I just don’t understand.

Please CM - let’s get some detailed FFB and soon!

FFB is certainly an aspect of the game that's taken seriously, and I know we've regularly got conversations going on with some peripheral suppliers to enhance the experience for as many people as possible 🙂

There's more options and accessibility in this department for GRID than many of our peers (basically racers that are not sim-heavy) so "leaving wheel users in the cold" isn't probably something I'd agree with. But we're still looking at the feedback (heh) from players on this topic to see if we can build on what's already in the game 🙂

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

FFB is certainly an aspect of the game that's taken seriously, and I know we've regularly got conversations going on with some peripheral suppliers to enhance the experience for as many people as possible 🙂

There's more options and accessibility in this department for GRID than many of our peers (basically racers that are not sim-heavy) so "leaving wheel users in the cold" isn't probably something I'd agree with. But we're still looking at the feedback (heh) from players on this topic to see if we can build on what's already in the game 🙂

@ChrisGrovesMCM

Thanks Chris. Understood - and take my comment with a grain of salt. That said I just can’t but feel as though something went awry with the FFB testing on Thrustmaster equipment, as I find it hard to believe the current iteration would have escaped QC as it is now. There is barely any feeling through the wheel (feels as if the tires are not in contact with the road). Max settings (and there are only two of them - SAT and Suspension), have little effect despite increasing the value by 33%! (150 scale vs default 100 scale).

The FFB needs work, undeniably so. I have every reason to believe Codies will improve things, as they did with DiRT Rally 2.0

As I noted above - this game is already top shelf in many respects IMHO. Assuming the bugs get ironed, MP gets fixed and the FFB is ameliorated - than this game could be truly REMARKABLE!

I do appreciate your feedback, and FWIW your involvement on the forums and communication is commendable - thank you for listening (and replying), to our concerns, gripes, rants and venting!👍

Edited by Buckwilder
Spelling errors
  • Like 2

To me the FFB has the same issues as Dirt Rally 2.0 had. 

The main force is there, but there is no other FFb ‘noise’ for road bumps, road surface, losing grip etc. 

The argument has always been that people feel road bumps not through the wheel but via the seat. So no need to model that in the FFb. 

Thats rubbish. Firstly, it’s obvious when driving your car that the wheel vibrates with the road. It’s connected to the car the same as your seat, so how does one feel a bump in the seat and not the wheel?

Secondly, we lack a heck of a lot of information driving a sim wheel compared to real life, so FFB needs to be looked at from that perspective. 

F1 (and now dirt Rally 2.0) has good FFB. Why do other Codies games not?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm wondering what wheels you guys are using.  I'm getting quite a bit of road noise through the wheel, so much so I had to turn it down from max.  On the Thrustmaster TMX here.

5 hours ago, Kaylos29 said:

I'm wondering what wheels you guys are using.  I'm getting quite a bit of road noise through the wheel, so much so I had to turn it down from max.  On the Thrustmaster TMX here.

What platform. 

Using Simucube Pro ans D-box. 
I’ve gotten steering to something driveble and at a point I can enjoy the game but what really brings it to life is my D-box motion. It feels great and takes this game to a fun level. 

I am tired to repeat the same things every time Codemasters release a racing game, is always the same story. FBB DOES NOT WORK, and that's happens in F1, Dirt rally and GRID, every racing game we have to wait 2-3 months to have a patch fixing FBB issues. That's no good guys, absolutely no good. CM must learn to take care of customers, they make racing game and they have to understand that people has steering wheel and want to use it. That's the third time that I report issues about wheel FBB and nothing has been made so far. I read a lot posts on the net and the problem is always the same, FBB issues.

You use the same steering wheel as me: a Thrustmaster T300 RS but you are on PS4 and I am on a PC.
I am very happy with the FFB and not you.

Mr. Codemasters, the FFB is different on the PS4 and PC versions?
It's strange....

Edited by pulco

it's DR2.0 FFB, it misses the slip effect and engine vibration....it"s less alive than GRID AUTOSPORT.....but the physics are far better....

Edited by KolysioN

On 10/22/2019 at 5:42 AM, Ferrethead81 said:

To me the FFB has the same issues as Dirt Rally 2.0 had. 

The main force is there, but there is no other FFb ‘noise’ for road bumps, road surface, losing grip etc. 

The argument has always been that people feel road bumps not through the wheel but via the seat. So no need to model that in the FFb. 

Thats rubbish. Firstly, it’s obvious when driving your car that the wheel vibrates with the road. It’s connected to the car the same as your seat, so how does one feel a bump in the seat and not the wheel?

Secondly, we lack a heck of a lot of information driving a sim wheel compared to real life, so FFB needs to be looked at from that perspective. 

F1 (and now dirt Rally 2.0) has good FFB. Why do other Codies games not?

Perfectly put.

This is what is missing in all Codies' stuff.

Vibration has been present in video games since the dual shock controller came out. I remember it fondly in Gran Turismo 2 on the PS1.

It creates a feeling of visceral immersion and without at least some rumble, you cannot tell if you have traction when in a straight line.

In Dirt Rally 2, there is a little NOW, on the gravel stages, but none on the tarmac.

There REALLY needs to be.

Codies have had it before when they used editable road surface .xml files. These DEFINED the amount of background rumble on different surfaces.

We NEED this back.

WHY ? Because a FINE vibration through the wheel, says "I have traction,  once that disappears I KNOW I am getting air... or if combined with a judder, tells me I'm LOSING traction.

Codies REALLY need to try Project Cars. It's in a different league when it comes to the entire range of FFB components.

The fact they've BOUGHT Slightly Mad is the BIGGEST irony in gaming history... something my new video series will demonstrate SHORTY,  on my Youlube channel.

If I'd bought Ferrari I WOULDN'T still be driving around in a Ford Fiesta.

The FFB in both Dirt Rally 2 and GRID 2019 COULD be fixed in a FEW weeks if they let the REAL techies at Slightly Mad,  loose.

.... then, they may not need to be discounting THESE games all the time, to under 20 quid.

Sad. Embarrassing and why the heck have you bought SM Studios unless you're going to take advantage of their resources ?

Edited by TrueBlade1889

I had no idea CM bought SMS until now, so I googled it. Looks like they announced 22 days ago, they might need a little more time than that to compare notes and implement a change, just sayin.

Well given Codies and SMS seem to have such wildly differing ideas on exactly what features FFB should have, as alluded to above, I just wonder IF it will ever happen.

Additionally, we need rumble though the wheel to compensate for the fact that we don't have feel in the seat of our pants as we would in a real car.

Just drove a gravel stage yesterday... much better. We just need about 25 percent of that canned rumble on tarmac and snow and I'll be happy.

• Like 1

in grid 2019 on my xbox one with my fanatec gear csw 2.5 and trimmings; all was working well until the season one update early Dec - now no FFB, feel, resistance, centre force, vibration - not a thing even with wheel and game settings maxed - no different. Anyone else have the same, and also does anyone know if CM are going to fix it - I'll give it another week of being ignored then I think I'll trade it in while it's still worth a tenner! Shocking I bought the top version and all DLC in advance and I can't play it anymore!! not buying any more CM games after this if it's not sorted, I've been burned and ignored too many times!

No. Codies don't do FFB.

As for road feel... again, they don't even think it is required.

My advice is Project Cars 2.

Once you see how 12 different FFB settings can be adjusted, OMG... you'll never look at another arcade driving game again.

I am constantly apologising for being British, as Codies are an embarrassment.

I just hope they don't ruin SMS now they've bought them out.

Unfortunately we only have ourselves to blame. If we hadn't kept throwing money at Codies for decades, knowing they only ever deliver a half-hearted game, they would never have had the cash to buy them. Oh, the sad, sad, irony.

All my Codemasters games have been erased from my valuable M 2 drives. They will never darken my door again or receive another dime from me.

My parting message is simple... don't pay them money and then moan about all the issues.  Vote with your wallets.

Bye bye for ever.

Edited by TrueBlade1889
  • Agree 1