Sign in to follow this  

[GRID 2019] Cockpit views to dark/not usable in night/rain conditions

Posted (edited)

As seen in some early access footage i can confim that the cockpit views are completely unusable in night and rain conditions because you can´t see anything.

I remember Project Cars having an separat Exposure setting for onboard views. Not sure if that would work in GRID but something has to be done to fix this asap if it´s not already adressed in the day one patch.

Screenshot_114.jpg

Screenshot_115.jpg

Screenshot_116.jpg

Edited by Ak1504
  • Agree 2

Some track/time of day were quite dark,  I went into settings [Video] and up the brightness a touch which helps quite a bit.

Now they look like this

206851427_GRID(2019)Screenshot2019_10.08-18_42_12_71.thumb.jpg.6cd423fffce864b7758d9cd3e3f36494.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ak1504 said:

As seen in some early access footage i can confim that the cockpit views are completely unusable in night and rain conditions because you can´t see anything.

I remember Project Cars having an separat Exposure setting for onboard views. Not sure if that would work in GRID but something has to be done to fix this asap if it´s not already adressed in the day one patch.

1 hour ago, Leo Natan said:

This game doesn't support tonemapping it seems... 🤦‍♂️

This was reported the first time a MONTH ago...   "no Eye Adaptation"

Lots of people kept saying in that thread "it's just a prerelease build", "it will be fixed at release"...    well, it seems somebody forgot to take notes for the devs. The fanboys that were defending the game saying all the reported bugs and problems in the Graphics Discussion thread would be fixed for release are nowhere to be seen now. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by jesped
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

The "it's a beta" excuse is well known to be used by idiots. I can count on one hand the number of titles that this excuse was actually true. In recent years, companies started plastering "prerelease footage", or more hilariously "prealpha footage" up until a month before release 😂, and the gullible lap it up.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)

And if I'm not mistaken, F1 has tonemapping. When vehicles enter the Monaco tunnel.

Yep. Watch this @ 0.46

Just 🤦‍♂️ F1 looks so much better than this.

Edited by Leo Natan
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

And if I'm not mistaken, F1 has tonemapping. When vehicles enter the Monaco tunnel.

Yep. Watch this @ 0.46

GRID Autosport and GRID 2 had eye adaptation/automatic exposure/tonemapping too. It's been a feature in EGO engine since ages ago. What is more baffling is...  GRID 2019 does have adaptation...    but just in a few places where it doesn't really makes much of a difference, like the bridge in Havana, or to darken the tunnels in Okutama. But in most neccesary cases it just leaves you totally in the dark, or with a brightness from the sun that looks like a nuclear explosion.

Edited by jesped

Haha, maybe they forgot to set the luminosity zones in the tracks. After all, there are sOoO MaNy tRaCkS (12 😂😂😂😂), so it's understandable. If that's the case, they may patch this eventually.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jesped said:

Lots of people kept saying in that thread "it's just a prerelease build", "it will be fixed at release"...    well, it seems somebody forgot to take notes for the devs. The fanboys that were defending the game saying all the reported bugs and problems in the Graphics Discussion thread would be fixed for release are nowhere to be seen now. 🤷‍♂️

Well, the game was released and the gfx turned out to be so bloody awesome for the most part, that it really does not make sense to reply anymore to people saying they are c**p. It's like trying to prove that the earth is not flat, really not interested in doing so, if people want to believe and persuade the world that it is indeed flat, let them do that, I do not have the courage or patience to deal with that kind of arguments anymore.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, you will now post 735 screenshots of stlll frames where a texture is not right, reflections in the wet might be not correct, or a building that is supposed to be built in the 1800's has architectural characteristics of the 1700's, but personally I could not care less, for the scope of the game nothing of that has any importance and is almost impossible to notice while racing. The gfx and sounds provides such a great immersion when you drive in those tracks and that's all that is important to me.

That's not to say that the game is perfect, it isn't and it has some serious issues IMO, which must be fixed/improved, but gfx is not one of them. Are you guys running with brightness at 1 to have that result?

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Ak1504 said:

Screenshot_120.jpg

It's like DR 2.0 all over again only id say that looks way worse. 

1 hour ago, cpcdem said:

nothing of that has any importance and is almost impossible to notice while racing

You don't notice lack of lightning while racing? WUT?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

It's perfectly fine guys, you are nitpicking this awesomeness of a game, it's impossible to notice while racing...

EGSZCroWkAIEKpA?format=jpg&name=large

SOGsswl.gif

Edited by jesped

1 hour ago, jesped said:

It's perfectly fine guys, you are nitpicking this awesomeness of a game, it's impossible to notice while racing...

EGSZCroWkAIEKpA?format=jpg&name=large

SOGsswl.gif

You got ya console set up right? Looks like severe black crush.

1 hour ago, lastbreath said:

You don't notice lack of lightning while racing? WUT?

I did a few races at night and it was perfectly fine! Not trying to be a smart*** here, but it was obviously darker than in the day as expected, but was fine driving at. Maybe in the video above he has just turned the headlights off?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

You got ya console set up right? Looks like severe black crush.

That's PC. The problem is the game doesn't have Eye Adaptation/Automatic Exposure/Tonemapping properly set for most shadowed areas.

37 minutes ago, cpcdem said:

I did a few races at night and it was perfectly fine! Not trying to be a smart*** here, but it was obviously darker than in the day as expected, but was fine driving at. Maybe in the video above he has just turned the headlights off?

It doesn't have to do with night, it is more noticeable in the shadowed areas of Okutama or the shadowed streets of Havana at sunset. And tunnels without lights during day races, like the example above.

@Leo Natan just posted a video perfectly explaining what this is all about...  do you really read and watch others posts in the thread?

F1 does proper Eye Adaptation/Automatic Exposure/Tonemapping, when you enter the tunnel it adjusts so you can see. And when you exit the tunnel it adjusts again so it is not overexposed and burnt white. That's what we are talking regarding GRID, not if it is day or night or consoles or displays are well adjusted or wathever. It is a game problem. Not even an engine problem, as F1 2019 uses the same EGO v4 and adaptation in Codemasters games has been around since the original GRID or at least GRID 2.

Edited by jesped

1 hour ago, jesped said:

It doesn't have to do with night, it is more noticeable in the shadowed areas of Okutama or the shadowed streets of Havana at sunset. And tunnels without lights during day races, like the example above.

Honestly no idea what you are talking about. I've done a couple races in Okutama and had zero issues with lighting, my eyesight is not the best, but had no trouble at all racing. But then again, I run in default brightness mode...

• Disagree 1

Maybe this is the answer why the game is so overbrighted? Because in other way cockpit would be absolutely dark?

Cockpit lighting in GRID has issues. If you try to play city courses in the afternoon and with rain, you will notice that shaded are darker than night races. When facing the low sun, however, you see virtually nothing. The bloom effect on windshield scratches is especially annoying. I'm forced to change to external view in such races.

• Agree 2