[GRID 2019] Cockpit views too dark in night/rain conditions and often too bright at daytime

3 minutes ago, senna94f1 said:

Please would you mind not spamming me please,

if you want to talk to me my ps4 is Mark___f1 

or senna94 on steam ,we are all allowed an opinion ok and the world just don't revolve around you Ak,

See the big FOLLOW button on top right corner at every topic, you can also block notifications there.
Peace 🙂

@ChrisGrovesMCM

Hello Chris,

Do you know if the team is going to be working on lighting/tone mapping/eye adaption changes for cockpit view? The game really needs this so that we can see the track and the amazing graphics that the game has to offer. I play on Xbox One X and this drastically affects my enjoyment of the game. It's either blinding light or insanely dark at certain tracks/sections. This issue is not resolved by adjusting in-game brightness settings. Also, I do not have control of the headlights which I hope is resolved. Thanks for your consideration. Have a great day.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, FlatOverCrest said:

@ChrisGrovesMCM

Hello Chris,

Do you know if the team is going to be working on lighting/tone mapping/eye adaption changes for cockpit view? The game really needs this so that we can see the track and the amazing graphics that the game has to offer. I play on Xbox One X and this drastically affects my enjoyment of the game. It's either blinding light or insanely dark at certain tracks/sections. This issue is not resolved by adjusting in-game brightness settings. Also, I do not have control of the headlights which I hope is resolved. Thanks for your consideration. Have a great day.

Hello 🙂 

I spoke to the team about this recently and it is known issue now that brightness is reduced in cockpit view. We're working on resolving this and I would expect (without 100% confirming) that this will come in the next full patch for GRID. I'll make sure to mention this topic again when I next meet with the team to see if there's a further update 🙂

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, FlatOverCrest said:

The game really needs this so that we can see the track and the amazing graphics that the game has to offer

Nice joke 😄

• Haha 2
  • Disagree 1

On 11/5/2019 at 6:14 PM, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Hello 🙂 

I spoke to the team about this recently and it is known issue now that brightness is reduced in cockpit view. We're working on resolving this and I would expect (without 100% confirming) that this will come in the next full patch for GRID. I'll make sure to mention this topic again when I next meet with the team to see if there's a further update 🙂

What about the overall lighting issues (too light, too dark, overdone bloom / god rays) on consoles that have spilled over from Dirt Rally 2.0 into Grid? I think it's been discussed more than enough now for Codemasters to acknowledge that it is a problem and therefore time to give the matter a little bit more than no consideration whatsoever.

To give a general idea of things there are instances in DR2.0 where the intensity of light is that severe when reflecting of standing water it looks like there is snow on the ground - and whilst i'm not saying it is exactly the same in Grid, what I am saying is that because lighting is of a similar intensity it creates the same artificial effects.

Anyhows, i'll end it there because experience has taught me that for as long as this eternal debt of gratitude towards PC gamers (stemming from the crowdfunding of Dirt Rally 1 and how that arguably saved Codemasters as a company) remains in place there's absolutely no point discussing anything beyond general bug fixes on consoles. 

Console gamer: "the game crashes at xx point"

Codemasters: "we're on it and it will be resolved in the next patch"

Console gamer: "there's glitching on xx track"

Codemasters: "We're on it and it will be resolved in the next patch"

Console Gamer: "We have griefers, wreckers, poorly implemented AI in multiplayer and need CPL's with kickvoting and no AI.

Codemasters: "These things take time but I'll submit it to the team for consideration"

Console gamer: "we need something beyond HDR sliders to tailor lighting and effects to personal tastes.

Console gamer: "we STILL need CPL's and no AI in multiplayer

Console gamer: "Hello?"

Console gamer: "AI are displaying negative times on results screen"

Codemasters: "We're on it and it will be resolved in the next patch"

Cynical? Read the forums......

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 12:14 PM, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Hello 🙂 

Are you only talking about lighting specifically within the car interiors with the team? That's what your post makes it seem like to me. If so, it doesn't seem to be as simple as adjusting just the cockpit interior lighting and that is not the main concern, or the only thing we are talking about. Yes, the cockpit interior is sometimes too dark/bright based on certain tracks/sections, times of day or weather conditions but we are also speaking about how lighting outside of the car seems to be exaggerated while in cockpit view verses others views. The same for things being overly bright while using the cockpit view (i.e. road reflection glare, sun rays, bloom effects, etc). I actually am struggling to see the track and cars ahead because of too little lighting on certain tracks or sections and then the other extreme of things being way too bright at other tracks, sections or during different conditions. I just want to make sure that the team knows it's not just the car interior lighting we are talking about but mainly what we are seeing outside of the car while utilizing the cockpit view. Obviously, in real life, lighting exterior to the car would affect lighting inside the car but I don't know how this works in the Ego engine. Basically, seeing the track and everything else external to the car interior is pretty difficult in far too many conditions and the car interior lighting could be tweaked as well. Headlights also need to be looked at. If this is what you meant in your post, then I apologise but just wanted to clarify so the problems are as clearly defined as possible. Please show the pictures and video from Ak1504 to the team because that video is the best example for what we are experiencing. I only wish we had one showing the overly dark issues. Thank you.

@ChrisGrovesMCM

• Like 1

Hey all, 

We're looking closer at the topic of brightness in cockpit view now and are asking players to drop us some screenshots of situations where this is an issue for you. If you have any examples of this, please drop a screengrab of it here, preferably with the car, circuit and time of day being used in the event. Thank you 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Random screens for low light, poor visibility, extreme brightness and oversaturation:

11-12-2019_9-36-16_PM-a2acwm4l.png

11-12-2019_9-35-39_PM-3hwhfuwq.png

20191113_125442.png

20191113_131738.png

Edited by FlatOverCrest
Removed pictures

Frankly speaking I don't consider your screens overbrighted, except Sydney Park. There are bright Sun flares, but pictures has normal exposure. Video on previous page is way more informative

• Disagree 1

In this photo you can see how bad the glare is, and how the tinting makes it crystal clear.  To be fair, the glare was pretty bad in all views though.  You can see how the apex is nearly impossible to see.

GRID.png

Edited by Kaylos29
  • Agree 1

Honestly, a lot of the cockpit issues seem fixed for me on the xbox for the most part.  The forest section of Okutama GP was really dark on sunset and you didn't have headlights.  I could only see with the braking line or switching views and that seems corrected.  That issue seems to be resolved.  the glare can get bad.  Here is a comparison between hood, dash, and cockpit when the glare hits and how hard it can be to see in Dash/Cockpit vs other views.

GRID (7).png

GRID (8).png

GRID (9).png

I am playing on Xbox One X and it's definitely still a problem in cockpit view which is the only view I use. I don't think they made any graphical tweaks/changes on the Xbox One X like they did on the base consoles. If you're playing on PS4/PS4 Pro, PC or maybe even the base Xbox or One S and are using a different view other than cockpit view regularly then this may not apply to you. I posted pictures instead of videos because that's what @ChrisGrovesMCM asked for and I will be adding more from other tracks where it's an issue for me. I wouldn't be taking the time to do this if it wasn't actually a problem because I really like the game and want it to be even better.

Edit: Just to be clear, I love the effects, just think they need to be toned down and think that things are overly bright/over-exposed on certain tracks. The sun reflecting off the road surface is also overly bright and unpleasant at times as well as dash reflections, windscreen reflections, sun flares, etc. I really like the art style and the attention to detail on the driver actions in cockpit and the car interiors. Codemasters has the framework for something really special. It just needs tons of multiplayer options, more game modes, quite a lot more locations/tracks and would have benefitted from a new idea for a game mode we haven't seen before (something fresh). Keep up the good work Codemasters. Thanks for your consideration.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
Added comment

Okutama Sprint Mizu Mountain in the Auto Gallery Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 (Day)

11-14-2019_11-45-33_AM-lq0y0xbu.png

11-14-2019_11-45-35_AM-u3bu1ie2.png

11-14-2019_11-45-34_AM-xmnb3tel.png

11-14-2019_11-45-31_AM-gksgxo5s.png

11-14-2019_11-45-36_AM-pmcdk41b.png

11-14-2019_11-45-31_AM-urwmdbmk.png

Edited by FlatOverCrest
Removed pictures

Sepang International Circuit Full Track in the Honda CRX MightyMouse (Day)

11-14-2019_12-34-16_PM-wiswgpez.png

11-14-2019_12-34-18_PM-zeuuar41.png

11-14-2019_12-34-16_PM-0xgeavhl.png

Edited by FlatOverCrest
Removed pictures

Sydney Motorsport Park Gardner GP Circuit in the Cadillac DPi-V.R (Day)

11-14-2019_2-21-17_PM-vrmvzaga.png

11-14-2019_2-21-17_PM-3pzooyrz.png

11-14-2019_2-21-16_PM-k3nimt41.png

Edited by FlatOverCrest
Removed pictures