Sign in to follow this  

Grid Autosport Improvement thread

Hey,
       After seeing gameplay there are ALOT of things I like about it and I don't. My main problem is in cockpit it is blurred so you can't see the dash. It would be nice if you had a option to turn this off. 
I am sure you have concerns to and I think we should pass these on to the codies.

Depth of field effect that works really well for a racing title and allows you to focus on the road ahead imho.

cockpit blur is just an speed effect, is not always like that (like shift2)
no its always like that, and so are the mirrors. If you watch onboard gameplay then you'll see the cockpit and the mirrors are blurred out at all times, just slightly less blurred at lower speed

cockpit blur is just an speed effect, is not always like that (like shift2)
Thing is, in Shift 2 its kinda the opposite, it's clear all the time except when youre high speed braking, thats when it becomes blurry because of the g-force.

DAL1189 said:
Hey,
       After seeing gameplay there are ALOT of things I like about it and I don't. My main problem is in cockpit it is blurred so you can't see the dash. It would be nice if you had a option to turn this off. 
If they could let you turn off the blur and keep the framerate up, I’m sure they would. But presumably they can’t (unless much has changed since Grid 2), so they won’t.

Yeah whats the reason for the low detail cockpits ? That cant be the end of it. I want proper cockpits with awesome looking carbon fiber like in dirt 3. Otherwise its the next stupid idea after cutting the cockpits out... Looks like CM wont spend any time in development and make fast money...

If they plan on Making the cockpits as detailed as some of the cockpit mods then poor them.

I thought the reason why there was no cock-pit view in GRID 2 was because the consoles could not handle high detail cock-pit view and handle the other eye candy that Codies wanted to do with GRID 2? And Codemasters was unwilling to do high detail cock-pit view just for the PC.

GRID Autosport is for the old consoles, 360 and PS3, so this problem has not gone away.

Purple44 said:
I thought the reason why there was no cock-pit view in GRID 2 was because the consoles could not handle high detail cock-pit view and handle the other eye candy that Codies wanted to do with GRID 2? And Codemasters was unwilling to do high detail cock-pit view just for the PC.

GRID Autosport is for the old consoles, 360 and PS3, so this problem has not gone away.
Apparently PC is getting a DLC on launch with high detail textures, I'll assume they aren't cockpit related but it would be nice...

Andi said:
Purple44 said:

Apparently PC is getting a DLC on launch with high detail textures, I'll assume they aren't cockpit related but it would be nice...
I think @loore said they had something to do with reflections or something on the textures can't be 100% certain though maybe @justbiglee could shed some light on the subject if he's around but can't be too sure

Andi said:
Purple44 said:

I think @loore said they had something to do with reflections or something on the textures can't be 100% certain though maybe @justbiglee could shed some light on the subject if he's around but can't be too sure
Sorry fella I don't know much more that that. Either me or @loore will get back to you on it tomorrow.io

Back when it was announced that Grid 2 wasn't having cockpit view didn't CM also say they didn't want to spend valuable man hours creating detailed interiors for every single vehicle in the game when only 5% of players actually used the view?

Andi said:
Purple44 said:

Sorry fella I don't know much more that that. Either me or @loore will get back to you on it tomorrow.ioth
thanks for that I was just really mentioning what I think I remember reading from one of @Loore's posts I don't really know anything about the details although owning the PC version when it's out I will be curious about that download :D

zakrocz said:
Back when it was announced that Grid 2 wasn't having cockpit view didn't CM also say they didn't want to spend valuable man hours creating detailed interiors for every single vehicle in the game when only 5% of players actually used the view?

Using Google:

Codemasters respond to complaints about lack of cockpit view in Grid 2

"In response to complaints from the community regarding the lack of cockpit view in GRID 2, Codemasters reveal that only 5% of players actually used it.

Announced less then 12 hours ago and Codemasters are already receiving complaints about GRID 2. The main point of contention is the loss of in-car camera view that was available in the original. Though Codemasters say their decisions was justified.

“There seems to be some confusion about where we get our data from to help us make these decisions,” speaking to Eurogamer, executive producer Clive Moody said, “While we do use research and focus groups, the most important data source for us is the enormous amount of telemetry data we can obtain from our servers that tells us exactly how and what our players are doing across all our games. So it's not a case of just a sample of people we've spoken to in research, it's a fact that only 5% of Codemasters Racing game players ever used the in-car view.”

Considering the cost involved in implementing the in-car view – Grid's was a fully fleshed out affair with detailed vehicle interiors, subtle head movements, and animated limbs – you can catch their reasoning for dropping it. And, that cost, as Moody explains, isn't just financial: “By making this educated call, we can use the extra available memory to make the on-track racing a truly mind-blowingly immersive experience.

“We can author and run higher resolution vehicle models with more detailed geometry. We can feature higher resolution external vehicle textures and work further detail into our environment textures. We can dedicate more processing power to our improved physics systems, integral to the GRID 2 experience, and push other systems to the next level, such as particles and real-time lighting.”

It's a shame for those 5% but when faced with that data it would have been difficult to justify its inclusion. Moody also points out that there will still be a bonnet cam for those players who use racing wheels."

One thing that not said in article, is what percentage of the PC players use cockpit view. I bet it more than 5%.

Got to remember GRID 1 found the sweet spot between acrade and sim, then Codies turn GRID 2 into an arcade racer and lost the support of the TOCA\GRID 1 fan base.

PC players being complaining for a few years of the consoles-lation of racing games being ported to the PC. PC players not important enough for Codemasters to take time to do Text Chat for the PC? Since we are a smaller market than the consoles when it come to sales.

But if Text Chat helps give PC GRID Autosport online the longevity of a GRID 1 or Flatout 2 ( two racing games that had a strong online community until the online servers were turn off ), would not the extra sales from a strong online thanks to online community getting to know each other thanks to text chat, more than pay the delvopment cost to have text chat in PC version of GAS?

zakrocz said:
Yes, the day our laughter could be heard even on Mars.

The fact they're adding cockpit again proves another one of the already many CM failed attempts at considering us all dumb 

text chat + spectate mode

this 2 make the online strong, without this i doubt multiplayer will be populated after 6months.
And nothing of bad if the game is not funny to play like grid2... too bad instead if autosport will be funny, and you must digest void waiting, dead times and no-sense, this will be a online killer. 
Nobody bear to play a game where half of the time you must stare a lobby window.
Great side of grid1 was that, into the lobby you can start to watch the race untill u can play, and text chat with others.

I wonder how much time will pass untill we will get the same stuff we already had 6 year ago.
...and beg for cockpit, and beg for handling, and region lock, for servers, for chat, spectate mode, track cut, or for a even online field without upgrade and tuning... i remember grid2 was released without best lap counter online... was basically a pointless racing... and everyone here again to beg for reintroduce that.

I Hope if it is a texture limitations for XBOX and PS3 then Hi def texture pack will fix this