Sign in to follow this  

Fortnite, Rocket League, Call of Duty - time for F1 to join the pack!

Long gone are the days when console makers were reluctant to allow crossplay on their games. In the new era several heavyweight titles have functioning crossplay. F1 should join them! It would be a dream come true for multiplayer... Shorter wait times, larger lobbies, joint leaderboards, friends not segregated anymore by platform....

Codemasters, please implement crossplay in F1 2020!

Edited by drKotasz
  • Agree 5

Great idea in theory especially for games that are optimized for consoles that run similar on pcs. A racing game though will always favor the pc user as they can fine tune their performance to get consistent blistering fast frame rates plus multiple telemetry info apps giving them an unfair advantage. I have confidence enough to say I believe pc racers would top the leader boards consistently and be ahead in races too. I reckon console racers would soon see they cannot compete on a level playing field and drop out completely. Ps4 and Xbox sure, if there not so much politics then there would be not much difference between them, but pcs have such an advantage that ranking events especially would be unfair. 

No reason why not to have friendly unranked races though. Bringing back coop championship would be successful if cross platform as friends don't care so much about raw performance they just want to have fun. 

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Great idea in theory especially for games that are optimized for consoles that run similar on pcs. A racing game though will always favor the pc user as they can fine tune their performance to get consistent blistering fast frame rates plus multiple telemetry info apps giving them an unfair advantage. I have confidence enough to say I believe pc racers would top the leader boards consistently and be ahead in races too. I reckon console racers would soon see they cannot compete on a level playing field and drop out completely. Ps4 and Xbox sure, if there not so much politics then there would be not much difference between them, but pcs have such an advantage that ranking events especially would be unfair. 

No reason why not to have friendly unranked races though. Bringing back coop championship would be successful if cross platform as friends don't care so much about raw performance they just want to have fun. 

Sadly I agree with what you wrote about PC players. It's not called "the master race" for nothing! However, the playing field is not even on consoles now either. There are major differences in performance between, say, a regular PS4 and a PS4 Pro. There are a lot of frame drops around different tracks on a regular PS4 as it stands.

Furthermore, cross-play could include just the consoles if bringing in PC would prove too problematic. The sad thing is though that implementing cross-play isn't really that dependent on game developers. It's the console manufacturers that like to throw a spanner in the works.

Irrespective of having cross-play or not, I don't see a reason why the leaderboards of each platform shouldn't be visible. I'd be interested to look at times posted on other platforms than mine. It's just one of the many issues related to the leaderboards that could easily be improved.

@janbonator Sony is not ready to share any of it's hardware ecosystem and coding to allow cross platform play. All the cross play is happening on Microsoft hardware. Its rumored that Turn10 is working on a new Forza that will allow cross play. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Striker_703 said:

@janbonator Sony is not ready to share any of it's hardware ecosystem and coding to allow cross platform play. All the cross play is happening on Microsoft hardware. Its rumored that Turn10 is working on a new Forza that will allow cross play. 

Really? Then read this:

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/10/02/ps4-cross-play-exits-beta-now-a-full-feature-for-developers?sf110020051=1

5 hours ago, Striker_703 said:

I keep hoping Forza will turn more towards sim since Horizon has taken off. Fingers crossed. 

Played the hell out of 7, but 99% with a pad instead of wheel.

Back on topic, I just have concerns about cheats/exploits by PC users. But, cross platform may open up for better ranked lobbies, at minimum. 

They dont need to reinvent the wheel and they dont need to go hardcore sim, but they can learn from iRacing and other sim lobbies. At least for Ranked. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Striker_703 said:

Sony is not ready to share any of it's hardware ecosystem and coding to allow cross platform play.

As I clearly stated @drKotasz, quote above. That Sony isn't ready to share anything. The article clearly states that they just finished BETA testing 'WHICH' dictates that they're going into another stage of testing and have yet to share anything. 

I don't see any downside to cross-platform online. 
Just mark timing leaderboards by platform, and let people choose to limit platforms for matchmaking if they're so worried about some PC cheater or someone with a superior physical racing setup.

The increased potential player pool for online races would outweigh the disadvantages HEAVILY, especially on PC.

• Agree 1

They could also make crossplay optional. The part of the community that is worried about PC advantages could opt out of crossplay. Those who want to have a larger, common player pool could still enjoy the benefits. This way everybody gets what they want.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, drKotasz said:

They could also make crossplay optional. The part of the community that is worried about PC advantages could opt out of crossplay. Those who want to have a larger, common player pool could still enjoy the benefits. This way everybody gets what they want.

I don't see how you could have cross-platform play and also opt out at the same time? I mean do the current major cross play games have 2 leader boards or 3 or 4? One for everyone CP and others for only the single console the player is on? Would you opt out when you log into your console or each game? Would you live inside a bubble if you opted out and not see the rest of the community? Would you need to do it per session or log on or game? Seriously I can't see how you can have cross play enabled in a game and at the same time allow some people to opt out and play online separately. One of those ideas that like cross play itself for F1 sounds interesting but will never happen in practice as the major players will never implement it. 

Can you opt out of crossplay in Fortnite? - Yes.

Can you opt out of crossplay in Call of Duty? - Yes.

So could it be feasible in F1? - Most certainly!

The multiplayer doesn't work properly on a single one platform... It's really hard to believe that it would work on more than one.

Edited by LocoVarrido