Sign in to follow this  

DiRT Rally - handbrake question.

Hello there.

Trying to get my head around this new title since yesterday, apart from most "popular" problems mentioned here and on other forums often, loving it so far.

I've stumbled upon a strange issue though, when I took a Fiesta for a first spin and noticed pronounced understeer and engine bogging down in hairpins. A glance at external cam explained it - the handbrake is acting on all four wheels!  I don't know much about modern rally cars, since I'm most into vintage ones, but I always thought hanbrake should work on rears only? Modern Mini is also affected. 

G25 here, with H-shifter and clutch plus manual launch control on, tweaked FFB file (although I doubt that's the cause).

Cheers.

Hmm. Maybe that since the launch controlled is triggered by pulling the handbrake on start the normal handbrake function also acts like launch control at the same time when pulled in the corner? I can't play right now but it might be interesting to try the handbrake with manual launch control turned off.

Right, just did the test drive with launch control off. Still all-wheels-handbrake in Fiesta and Mini! I hope none of older cars are affected.

Did you try to depress the clutch pedal while pulling the handbrake ?

As stupid as it seems, in real life, if you pull the handbrake on a AWD car that have a active differentuial and you don't depress the clutch, the central LSD will kick in and will lock the front and rear axle together to keep them running at the same speed, keeping the same speed between front and rear wheels.

small footnote : 
IRL, the group B cars have mechanical LSD all around, not active, which meant that the only use the Handbrake got to see on these cars was keeping the car stopped.

Yep, clutch, no clutch and neutral, you name it. Fire up the Fiesta and check it out Yourself. Maybe it's indeed the question of clutch vs LSD modelling in these two modern cars. Whatever it is, might be worth looking into by the devs.

In fact now that I think about it, it might actually be realist...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but for the WRC class cars since 2010, arent they supposed to use a transfer case that is locked at all time instead of a center differential ?

Sort of off topic but I've heard a couple guys say they remapped their clutch pedal to be their e-break. because it's just too hard to use a button on the steering wheel while you're turning. I have the Porsche gt2 fanatec wheel and the real highend pedal set can't remember what they're called (clubsport?) and I'm using manual sequential with the paddles on the wheel. wondering if anyone was able to reassign the clutch pedal. when I go into options for the controller and hit enter on keyboard for e-brake which opens up the selection feature and then the press the clutch pedal.t just takes a second and then resets to the button that I previously had selected.

More on topic. I have noticed the e-brake is horrible. On the all wheel drive cars its so instantaneous I spin out every time and on the front wheel drive cars it's sloppy at best. But considering I don't have an analog e-brake control I can't really fault it is this. I would really hope we can reassign the clutch to do that at some point otherwise I'll probably have to buy an e-brake to play this game because it's just too hard with the button either on or off, and its too hard to hit while you're turning.

If you put your wheel into PS3 mode, and use the Logitech drivers rather than the Fanatec ones, the game will allow you to remap the clutch.

Thanks, looking into it... Found info here if anyone else is looking.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Console-Gaming-READ-ONLY-ARCHIVE/G25-support-for-FANATEC-CRS-racing-wheel/td-p/724740

RookieOne said:
In fact now that I think about it, it might actually be realist...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but for the WRC class cars since 2010, arent they supposed to use a transfer case that is locked at all time instead of a center differential ?
That might indeed be the case, I don't know. I'd just like to have an official confirmation why it's done the way it's done and if it's correct or not. And if Your footnote about real Group B cars is right, then maybe "ours" should be checked as well, since their handbrakes work like classic ones (ie. rear wheels only).

That behaviour does sound like a bug, can you confirm it still occurs in automatic? (I just want to establish if it's an input issue or a car issue)

Haven't tested other shifting modes yet, will do later today, but some fellow driver on Steam forum reported handbrake in Fiesta works OK when using sequential mode, so it would seem only both modern cars in H-Shifter + clutch mode are affected.

I guess from realism point of view sequential + clutch would be the way to go in these anyway, but since such a mode is not implemented yet, we're stuck between two imperfect modes, one being a bit glitched.

That's good to know, I suspected it was an issue with the manual clutch. We have set those cars up exactly as you guys mentioned above. They have no centre differential anymore due to regs, so we implemented the rear "liberation" clutch for the WRC cars - it appears there is a bug linking that clutch to the automatic clutch.

I'll have a look at fixing it asap. I'll also speak to the guys about the analogue handbrake request, that sounds like it could be something useful.

And also could you guys look into doing a sequential mode with semi-auto clutch where you don't need it on shifts but can use it to kick the clutch in hairpins? :blush: 

So that would be an option to have manual sequential as it is now, but have clutch override to have manual launch and no anti-stall (gearbox still takes care of 'clutch' during shifting)?

I'm a lazy Automatic Shift IRL and in-game player myself.
I do not use the shifters or the clutch. I use the left paddle for handbrake and it works for me.
I know I'm at a complete disadvantage, since I'm not shifting gears on turns or getting out of situations.
I just learned to break early and use the Handbrake to make it to tight turns and hairpins.

My questions is:
--- is there really an appropriate time to use it, i.e. dry gravel vs wet gravel?

My impression is that it "seems" like there is no difference.  While dealing with hairpins in Greece on dry road vs Wales on wet roads, the handbraking seems the same.  It's either the car slides or stalls.

Could really use some tips/suggestions. Advance thanks

Here's my last run at Sweet Lamb for example
http://youtu.be/MqJQhc1N1WA

Should have looked here first but yea,,,,Handbrake issue with 2010 cars like Fiesta.  It just locks all brakes and ploughs straight on.   Also +1 make the handbrake analog, progressive and allow us to adjust range like in Assetto Corsa would be awesome.

+1 Engine dies too easily.  Aside from these...I am very very much loving the game:-)  Please include Rallycross so i can go bonkers door to door and bumper to bumper over crests and through muddy pools with others.