Jump to content Jump to content

Base PS4 use here... the downgrade is savage!

Leocp

This is unbelievable...

I played the game at a friend's house who has a ver small setup. Just made a race, it looked decent. But wanted to try it at home. I recently had the chance since I got the normal edition (thank god. My friend went Ultimate BTW).

OH MY GOD... never seen a downgrade as huge as this in my life. These are PS3 graphics people, like seriously. 

I'm not even a graphic guy, but this looks atrocious. The reflections on my Aston Martin in Havana were like 10 fps. It was really painful to watch. And then, blur everywhere. To the point that player cards at the start of the race are barely visible. 

The game can't even seem to maintain solid 30 fps. There are buzzsaw borders everywhere, look at the damn buildings in Silverstone for godsake!

I'm really mad, yes. I was really looking forward to this game and I'm really feeling insulted and scammed. This is in no way, the same game you were showing all this time. It is really last gen graphics in 1080p, I don't think any other 30 fps racing  game in PS4 looks as bad as this one.

This is really shameful. I always supported you guys as you made some amazing games in the past, but I really can't look past this (the game have other problems, but this topic is about one particular issue). I felt like I bought a terrible handled port, and I payed full price for it. On top of that, I went digital, so there's no chance of a refund whatsoever.

I really hope this can be fixed somehow, but I doubt it. Still I wanted to make this topic for other people to be aware, and for you, the devs, to be aware about this, about a single customer that is really, really disappointed for the abysmal port released for base consoles. The game got treated like if it was a gen behind, at the very least. 

Sorry, but the base PS4 is just that awful. Codemasters have downgraded their games on every device imaginable (most especially PCs) to help you keep up for far too long - it's high time they started looking towards the future, especially with the new generation of consoles being right around the corner.

9 minutes ago, Coffer said:

Sorry, but the base PS4 is just that awful. Codemasters have downgraded their games on every device imaginable (most especially PCs) to help you keep up for far too long - it's high time they started looking towards the future, especially with the new generation of consoles being right around the corner.

What are you talking about? F1 and Dirt Rally 2.0 both run at 60fps and look far superior on base PS4. Other racing games also run at 60fps on base consoles and look far superior than Grid 2019. The blame here is squarely on the inadequate developer team of Grid 2019.

7 hours ago, Leo Natan said:

What are you talking about? F1 and Dirt Rally 2.0 both run at 60fps and look far superior on base PS4. Other racing games also run at 60fps on base consoles and look far superior than Grid 2019. The blame here is squarely on the inadequate developer team of Grid 2019.

This.

All of past Codemasters games ran at somewhat stable 60 fps and they looked very good. All the Dirt and F1 games. Even F1 2019 with the updated graphics, a game that came out some two months ago.

With all that in mind, it is unbelievable that they released Grid being this poorly optimized. The game does not even load properly when first showing you the car on the track, and so the textures of the tarmac look like a 1996 pc game. I don't wanna sound rough, but this is almost amateurish... and again, this is the same Developer/engine who brought us Dirt 2.0 and F1 2019. So it is not the their games are terrible or that the console can't handle the engine anymore imo.

I'm no game developer, but it is really hard to believe that the console can run all of Codemasters games without major issues, and now Grid is suddenly a next gen game. I'm sorry but we saw games with similar graphics running at smooth 60 fps on base consoles during the last two years or so...

1 hour ago, Ferrethead81 said:

Insert inevitable video of Driveclub running on base ps4

I don't think it is needed. A F1 2019 has already been provided, which was made by the same developer, using the same engine, during the same current year, and running on the same hardware...

This really ruins the experience for me, or at least makes it way worse. The game itself it is not bad by any means, and the races themselves are fun. But I really have to think hard that I'm not playing a PS3 game...

On 10/11/2019 at 7:48 AM, Leocp said:

This is unbelievable...

I played the game at a friend's house who has a ver small setup. Just made a race, it looked decent. But wanted to try it at home. I recently had the chance since I got the normal edition (thank god. My friend went Ultimate BTW).

OH MY GOD... never seen a downgrade as huge as this in my life. These are PS3 graphics people, like seriously. 

I'm not even a graphic guy, but this looks atrocious. The reflections on my Aston Martin in Havana were like 10 fps. It was really painful to watch. And then, blur everywhere. To the point that player cards at the start of the race are barely visible. 

The game can't even seem to maintain solid 30 fps. There are buzzsaw borders everywhere, look at the damn buildings in Silverstone for godsake!

I'm really mad, yes. I was really looking forward to this game and I'm really feeling insulted and scammed. This is in no way, the same game you were showing all this time. It is really last gen graphics in 1080p, I don't think any other 30 fps racing  game in PS4 looks as bad as this one.

This is really shameful. I always supported you guys as you made some amazing games in the past, but I really can't look past this (the game have other problems, but this topic is about one particular issue). I felt like I bought a terrible handled port, and I payed full price for it. On top of that, I went digital, so there's no chance of a refund whatsoever.

I really hope this can be fixed somehow, but I doubt it. Still I wanted to make this topic for other people to be aware, and for you, the devs, to be aware about this, about a single customer that is really, really disappointed for the abysmal port released for base consoles. The game got treated like if it was a gen behind, at the very least. 

Well, damn... First the 30fps surprise and now a graphical downgrade in base consoles? Great... I should have waited for the game to be on sale.. I always buy codemasters games day one (f1, dirt, even Micro Machines) but since I'm on vacation I'm only able to play it this Monday. Starting to think I should wait a few months before buying games... I'll judge it by myself on Monday but it feels like I'll be disappointed 😞

😞

The graphics and FPS downgrade on the base Xbox one is pretty bad as well.  It's playable, but the graphics are grainy, and the fps isn't great and terrible in the mirrors.

Considering Forza 7 runs beautifully and looks great on the base Xbox one, I was surprised.  Still enjoying the game immensely and still worth my money for the gameplay, but it's disappointing.

Codemasters, we really need an answer about this. Are you really aware of this? Are you guys gonna work on the performance on base consoles? 

Because right now it is night and day different. There are games that have Pro/X enhancements, but this one like forces you to play on the new hardware, because base models are barely nice to look at. I will say it again, despite the 30 fps, having a resolution this low is hard to look past... the blur and jagged edges are all over the places, and the reflections are plain awful. And don't made me talk about the rear view mirror. It is like 1 fps, lol. It is almost funny in a way...

Please let us now that you guys are aware and will look about this. I simply cannot believe that the engine suddenly went this obsolete, after experiencing some great games on it, being released this very same year. 

On 10/12/2019 at 8:02 PM, Kaylos29 said:

The graphics and FPS downgrade on the base Xbox one is pretty bad as well.  It's playable, but the graphics are grainy, and the fps isn't great and terrible in the mirrors.

Considering Forza 7 runs beautifully and looks great on the base Xbox one, I was surprised.  Still enjoying the game immensely and still worth my money for the gameplay, but it's disappointing.

Just found some footage of a Base PS4 gameplay, that mirror... just wow... (see below). 

Really hoping for a performance patch for this game to fix some things... The game is so beautiful and smooth on PC, XBONE X and PS4 Pro, but base consoles players suffer a lot (which are the majority of players)

https://youtu.be/-6KZJdJI8CQ?t=1776

13 hours ago, ktmsx65 said:

Just found some footage of a Base PS4 gameplay, that mirror... just wow... (see below).  

Really hoping for a performance patch for this game to fix some things... The game is so beautiful and smooth on PC, XBONE X and PS4 Pro, but base consoles players suffer a lot (which are the majority of players)

https://youtu.be/-6KZJdJI8CQ?t=1776

Yeah the mirror is utterly awful, but yea overall on base consoles its a terrible experience, while there is way more possible on those machines then the blurry low res mess that it is.

@ChrisGrovesMCM saw your post on other topic. It is good to know that you are personally reading us all, and to know that you guys will have meetings to talk about our concerns. 

So, while we are at it, it is possible for you guys to further look at the optimization of the game on base consoles? Because right now, the popular consensus is that the game does not look good, and we all are wondering why is this a thing, considering that all past Codemasters games looked amazing. 

Honestly this would make a HUGE difference in how we all look at the game now. 

Hope you read this and hope we can get some good news 🙂

• Social Media & Community Team
4 hours ago, Leocp said:

@ChrisGrovesMCM saw your post on other topic. It is good to know that you are personally reading us all, and to know that you guys will have meetings to talk about our concerns. 

So, while we are at it, it is possible for you guys to further look at the optimization of the game on base consoles? Because right now, the popular consensus is that the game does not look good, and we all are wondering why is this a thing, considering that all past Codemasters games looked amazing. 

Honestly this would make a HUGE difference in how we all look at the game now. 

Hope you read this and hope we can get some good news 🙂

Hello 🙂 graphics/visuals is certainly one of the topics we're looking at closely from community feedback, and the quality on base consoles. Haven't got any news in terms of changes right now, and as I've said before, changes in areas like this take time, but rest assured it's on the agenda. 🙂

26 minutes ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Hello 🙂 graphics/visuals is certainly one of the topics we're looking at closely from community feedback, and the quality on base consoles. Haven't got any news in terms of changes right now, and as I've said before, changes in areas like this take time, but rest assured it's on the agenda. 🙂

Sorry for sounding a bit negative but surely things like this should have been closely looked at BEFORE launch. My first few hours of playing Grid were on an XB1 S and whilst things weren't as dramatic as they seemingly are on PS4, sub 30fps framerates and overall poor presentation were quite obvious. If I could see them then i'm sure you guys could too. Unless of course you genuinely believed the game was of an overall acceptable standard at launch!

7 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Thank you! Both for the answer, and for letting us know that you guys are looking at this.

I'm pretty sure that this kind of fixes take time, so yeah. But the good thing is that you noticed that people are upset about this, so you are willing to work on it 🙂

Hope you can keep us updated, about this and other stuff added to the game (read that is a first patch in the works already).

Hope to see some good news soon. Thanks again 🙂

I imagine that part of the solution would be to amp the native resolution of the game. If 60fps are out of the discussion (I still have faith that this is not true, considering past Codemasters games) at least I hope they amp the resolution, to have all around better visuals. Or leave it at it is, but running at 60fps. I think I prefer that, performance over crisp graphics.

Best case scenario would be a mode select like they did with GAS on switch, where you can chose a better resolution and graphics in 30fps, or sacrifice visual power to have 60fps. 

Let's cross fingers for something like that!

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2019 at 11:12 AM, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Is there any update on this ? Do you think will we get a 60fps patch or is it impossible ? I dont care for the graphic improvement i can live with reduced graphics but we need an 60fps patch . Codemasters should release an option for base ps4 something like performance mode with reduced graphics and solid 60fps . 

These updates are being rolled out way way too late in the games lifecylce and with a graphic update if it were to ever come out Im very very skeptical. I get it it takes time to work on stuff like that, as someone said surely before the game released. But in any case even now its too late the game has released you wouldve thought a graphical upgrade fix wouldbe been worked on since then and still no update on it. Im very skeptical and I feel like this game all we will get are minor updates like damaged vehicles before races being as new, ability to change car number, new tracks and handful of new cars to complete the season and then onto ps5 grid 202X. At this stage any good worth wild fixes for this game Ill see it when I believe it

1 hour ago, XHunter22 said:

These updates are being rolled out way way too late in the games lifecylce and with a graphic update if it were to ever come out Im very very skeptical. I get it it takes time to work on stuff like that, as someone said surely before the game released. But in any case even now its too late the game has released you wouldve thought a graphical upgrade fix wouldbe been worked on since then and still no update on it. Im very skeptical and I feel like this game all we will get are minor updates like damaged vehicles before races being as new, ability to change car number, new tracks and handful of new cars to complete the season and then onto ps5 grid 202X. At this stage any good worth wild fixes for this game Ill see it when I believe it

Agreed . They wouldve been announced if there will be an 60fps patch work in progress . Shame . Guess ill just wait grid 202x then . No way im playing this **** on 30fps . 

Archived