Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiRT Rally - AI drivers too good?

After logging 10 hours in DiRT Rally I have come to the conclusion that the AI drivers are just a tad too good.

I'm a pretty decent driver, but I constantly find myself finishing 10-30+ seconds behind first place in Open championships. That's with racing hard and minimal mess ups. I know this is supposed to be a hardcore sim, but having the first difficulty set to where an average gamer doesn't come close is more than likely going to deter future players. I'm not saying dumb down all the AI, but maybe take a look at the stats Early Access players are sending in and create an average starting difficulty?

Agree? Disagree?

I was finishing 6th-7th at the start, now i just won an event on pro, and, i thought i was driving well at first too, but, its just how big the learning curve on this game is!!!

AI times are strange, sometimes they are 30 seconds faster and sometimes 30 seconds slower than me even though both times I drove just as good :/ 

I'm usually a lot slower than the AI drivers too with my highest place being 2nd I think...but I don't feel like I've put an entire perfect stage together. Therein lies the challenge, that's what gives you something to shoot for and keeps you coming back for more.

I'm playing in the Elite championship and consistently finishing in the top 5.

I have logged over 25 hours, the first 20 hours were mostly a disaster and I have yet to do a full, fast clean stage.

The AI times feel a bit random to me.  In the same event I've won a stage and then been a minute off the pace on the next one.  Just a couple of things I've noticed:

- The lead AI time never seems to make a mistake
- Managing the condition of my car - mostly by not taking any risks - so that it is in good condition for the final stages often sees me climb the final positions.  I drive the final stages the same way so can only assume the AI is suffering (or simulating) car wear and tear.

I still can't work out if the skill of the team is improving the car or just reducing the time for repairs.  If the team are improving the car that might be the reason for my slow but steady progress to Pro? 

I agree with everyone saying there is an immense learning curve to this game, but that doesn't mean the first difficulty couldn't be made a bit easier to encourage that progression. 

I'm definitely not a hardcore driver and, tbh, I really struggled to finish in the first couple of hours never mind get a decent result. Over the next 5 hours, I've found myself starting to improve - at best challenging for the podium but nowhere near the win although I wouldn't change a thing: I don't want to finish the game in a couple of weeks.

Have you considered lowering the difficulty level?

I agree with everyone saying there is an immense learning curve to this game, but that doesn't mean the first difficulty couldn't be made a bit easier to encourage that progression. 
if you end up winning every stage after a few hours of play then surely there wont be anything left encouraging you to progress, because youre already at the top. I think the leading AI are done very well and i like the large spread they have in times. If anything I think there should even be less spread in the slower end of the field. 

I too have had trouble coming first (in Open, the easiest difficultly) though I always place in a podium. I believe this may only be an issue with the Open podium position particularly the 1st position. From a gameplay perspective , Open is the easiest difficultly so in that respect you should be able to come first with a fairly decent drive. If you compared the easiest difficultly to that of DiRT 3 you would find that nearly everyone would have no trouble placing first. I don't believe the same could be said for DiRT Rally. The differences between Open, Clubman and Elite are very minor. So maybe Open podium positions need to come down a notch. 

They're too good right now, but I think once I've got stronger feedback I can give them a better run for their money. That being said, in DiRT3 I could beat anything below level 5 with my eyes shut; same goes for GRID, but here when I get within a minute of first on Open, I'm thrilled :tongue: I just expect it to take practice and some setup tweaks though (and FFB fix) to beat 'em. 

What do you expect when you've only played for 10 hours? This isn't a game you just pick up and win straight away. You need to learn and make progress in various cars. 

The difficulty needs a serious revamp, if you want the game to sell to the average gamer.
Having the entry level as difficult as it is currently will kill sales of this game.

The average gamer is going to fire it up, see how difficult it is to win anything at the start, and quit playing.
Better drivers can move to the higher classes, to find their challenges, which is how it would be in real life.

The fact that people find the AI hard and/or challenging on the hardest difficulty is to me a good sign. With that said, I believe lower difficulties should be adjusted accordingly though. 

no offense to anyone moaning the difficulty being to hard which i dont belive it is.this is a sim guys not a arcade version (DIRT3) think about getting consistant clean stages and not trying to be so gungho into the corners then you will notice you may challenge the leaders.yes i am a hardcore sim racer.the more ov a challenge a sim is the better a driver you will become,i noticed this when i 1st started on games like iracing.

I would class myself as an above average sim racer, and I cant win on the open level never mind elite!

I came second on the greek event in a delta, in an elite championship, and i can say hand on heart, i had plenty of room to improve, i just need time! I have 24 hours into this game now.
The AI isnt too hard, you are too slow. 

Rally driving is hardcore. The closer you want to get to the fastest possible time, the higher the risks you have to take, and those risks are much greater than in circuit racing. That's why the resulting times vary so greatly between the 1st and the last pilot. I'm glad it's a real challenge to get 1st in this game.

I've only played with the Mini so far, completed the first 2 of 3 rallies in career mode, and my best was a 2nd place in a stage. Overall I'm barely at 3rd, nearly 4th. And I restarted a couple of times when I really messed up, which cost me a few thousand credits. Also, I'm playing with some assists turned on (5 ABS, 3 TCS, automatic shifting).

Thought I was the only one struggling with the AI on this. I'd consider myself a fairly seasoned racer since playing the original Colin McRea rally and Gran Turismo 1 as a kid, to stuff like rFactor and numerous other sims on PC these days.

What I'm finding weird is if I race the community delta I'll usually finish close to a minute ahead of it, and I'm more often than not within the top 100 times, yet against the AI on Open difficulty I'll get to the second timing gate and be anywhere between 7 and 14 seconds adrift. 

The weirdest thing is I'm comparing my times with another forum member, and while he's faster than I am I'm not much off his pace. He's winning on Pro difficulty, and I can't even get close to Open...

I just got a podium in a master stage, albeit in a fiat 151 but still. Its doable, you just need to be smooth.

Thing is guys, this game is trying to simulate a real degree of difficulty and if you play with a wheel in masters - on a simplistic level - you are effectively racing against people equivalent to WRC Level, you can't get that good in a game without putting hours in.

Its like some guy picking up CS go, playing 10 hours then going to a Lan vs Pros and expecting to win guys.

I find it kind of strange all of you coming in to say you got a podium at elite. While that's awesome, how does tweaking a minor difficulty effect you exactly? I'm not talking about moving the entire games difficulty to the left, but only elongating the progression to make it actually feel like a progression. Elite will pose the same challenge it does now while Open could probably be made a bit easier. Flying off track 200 times isn't making anyone a better driver. Learning how to properly drive first will result in a better progression.