Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiRT Rally - AI drivers too good?

If you want a game that holds your hand and gives you a prize every time you finish the stage with a totalled car, play Dirt 3,
This is Dirt Rally is the Dark Souls of Rally, get used to it, or play something else, getting tired of the "please hold my hand" attitude.

Spokster said:
If you want a game that holds your hand and gives you a prize every time you finish the stage with a totalled car, play Dirt 3,
This is Dirt Rally is the Dark Souls of Rally, get used to it, or play something else, getting tired of the "please hold my hand" attitude.
PREEEACH! YEAH! 

Plus the game has a restart button for all the times the bushes jump out at you, a pebble puts you up a tree and when your car falls in love once more with a snow bank. It's no harder than any other racer imo, the track just happens to not be a flat piece of tarmac with lots of run-off.

The only issue I have is the unbelievable consistency of the top driver, seemingly in any given Championship, who remains apparently almost totally immune to the trials and tribulations of everyone else. This is not only unrealistic but also breaks the immersion for me and undermines the otherwise pretty realistic elements of the game.

Unless that top driver is Seb Loeb in disguise.

Which he isn't.

This game is an epic fail for me so far. I'm not too slow or inexperienced but my car is just not as fast as the AI cars. On the rally all the AI cars accelerate off the block 50 yards  before my car will move. From then onwards I don't have a chance.

its nothing to do with the driver. I can't compete against cars 40 mph faster than me and I'm coming last everytime. It's not tactics or steering or anything like that. It's just plain speed and acceleration of the AI is 30% faster than my car and I can't do anything about it.

please don't blame me. I'm experienced with these games. It's the AI speed and acceleration way above the specs of my car and I just can't compete. I'm talking about the rallies here. 

I don't mind hard and losing to better skilled AI but when AI cars have four times the acceleration of my car how am I supposed to compete? At least  the specs should be similar.

Spokster said:

Getting tired of the "if you don't think the game is 1,000% perfect, then you're an entitled cry-baby who needs too much hand-holding" attitude.

It's pretty damn rude how some of you
repeatedly parrot the same insulting assumptions about people whose video game preferences are slightly different from yours.

Nobody's asking for a "let me win & hit the top of the leaderboards without even trying" mode. I've never seen anyone ask to remove all authenticity & challenge from the game. Nobody wants to take your toys away from you. I've only seen people ask for more accessible options
More toys for everyone to share = more sales = more funding for better sequels.

@worldcitizen191 You know you can multiquote right? Anyways, pretty sure you're talking about RALLYCROSS, not Rally. You don't actually drive against other cars in Rally, unless you're playing like DiRT 2 or something... Supposedly if you start in 2nd or 3rd gear it's supposed to help you off the line. My FFB was too weird in RX so I stopped playing.

This game is an epic fail for me so far. I'm not too slow or inexperienced but my car is just not as fast as the AI cars. On the rally all the AI cars accelerate off the block 50 yards  before my car will move. From then onwards I don't have a chance.

its nothing to do with the driver. I can't compete against cars 40 mph faster than me and I'm coming last everytime. It's not tactics or steering or anything like that. It's just plain speed and acceleration of the AI is 30% faster than my car and I can't do anything about it.

please don't blame me. I'm experienced with these games. It's the AI speed and acceleration way above the specs of my car and I just can't compete. I'm talking about the rallies here. 

Are you entirely sure? I don't mean to sound condescending.

I've recently started the Master Championship (Rallycross) with my unupgraded Peugeot 208 WRX and while I struggled in the first event (due to it being slightly slower and a poor setup on my part), I still managed a win. Sure, the AI was around .200 right behind me in both the semi-final and the final, but it clearly wasn't an impossible task. The fact that the AI opponents are somewhat faster off the start or currently have an advantage in straight-line acceleration doesn't bother me either. So far, I've yet to lose an event.

As for Custom rallycross events on very hard difficulty, it's a child's play.

Also, a pro tip; start in second gear.

I made a video to prove that the AI does not have this rubberband effect some people seem to believe they're equipped with. I chose very hard difficulty, picking the slowest car of the bunch, and focused on clean driving... except that first corner bit, that was unintentional. I hope it doesn't come off as a "hurr durr look how gud i am at drivin lol" video; I just want to show that you don't need to drive like an absolute savage to win - driving clean is always rewarded in RX against the AI. And, also... with these 600 hp cars - it's better to start in 3rd gear, not 2nd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVQ40P_Kwyg

Upgraded cars don't have a problem with any of this, and setting your car up properly will also help. I experience 0 of the problems you have stated. 

Also, if you feel the need to mention in every paragraph that you're not too slow, inexperienced or that it's got nothing to do with the driver, then it's probably because you're too slow, inexperienced or there is a problem with the driver... ;) 

my car/s just can't match the acceleration and speed of the AI cars. I'm not doing too bad in rally but in the rally cross, all AI cars are way faster than mine. Off the block they get away about 40 yards before my car moves. After that I can't catch up. I knew this was supposed to be difficult but its disappointing. 

my car/s just can't match the acceleration and speed of the AI cars. I'm not doing too bad in rally but in the rally cross, all AI cars are way faster than mine. Off the block they get away about 40 yards before my car moves. After that I can't catch up. I knew this was supposed to be difficult but its disappointing. 
Keep at it, and you'll be golden. Your lack of upgrades on all cars will make things harder, but once you start taking the right lines and the right speed, along with having a solid setup, then you'll be beating the highest difficulty in no time. 

Just last night I finished a Masters championship and was winning rallies by about 5 seconds on average. It just doesn't happen overnight. 

Do you have any assists turned on? If so, turn them off, also turn off automatic launch control. Things like traction control and stability control will slow you down quite a bit

And take your Joker lap at the right time to give you enough clear track for faster lap times.

If you're getting rubbish starts, take your Joker on the 1st lap. If you're in the lead, leave it until the last lap

I made a video to prove that the AI does not have this rubberband effect some people seem to believe they're equipped with. I chose very hard difficulty, picking the slowest car of the bunch, and focused on clean driving... except that first corner bit, that was unintentional. I hope it doesn't come off as a "hurr durr look how gud i am at drivin lol" video; I just want to show that you don't need to drive like an absolute savage to win - driving clean is always rewarded in RX against the AI. And, also... with these 600 hp cars - it's better to start in 3rd gear, not 2nd.

That first corner... Typical P.Hammer.

And take your Joker lap at the right time to give you enough clear track for faster lap times.

If you're getting rubbish starts, take your Joker on the 1st lap. If you're in the lead, leave it until the last lap
I usually joker 1st lap every time.... usually come out in 1st or 2nd place...
Frankly, I'm pretty sure the RX events in Dirt 2 and 3 were actually significantly harder. Then again, you usually actually started in last place and absolutely had a weaker launch, of which you couldn't control.

one question to the gods that find the AI times not that stupid, specially the times of the 1st and 2nd cars.

Do you folks use assists?

I turned off assists and it helped a tiny bit. I guess I'm just not much good at this if others are saying it's so easy. Also, are there more tracks coming out.? It seems very short on content and I wonder if the difficulty is really not just filler for lack of content. The same tracks after a while get quite repetitive.

I'm faring slightly better in RallyCross now, not because i'm getting better, but because of the upgrades to the car as you progress. If i could get off the start line as quick as the AI i would be a lot happier!

djm99 said:
I'm faring slightly better in RallyCross now, not because i'm getting better, but because of the upgrades to the car as you progress. If i could get off the start line as quick as the AI i would be a lot happier!
Yes the upgrades help and I'm finding now even with the upgrade I'm losing but if I am perfect  maybe I have a chance. It's just a matter of when I will be able to drive perfect and that may not be for a while.

"Look at me, I'm @Porkhammer, I'm so good at driving". What a show off. 

one question to the gods that find the AI times not that stupid, specially the times of the 1st and 2nd cars.

Do you folks use assists?
No assists at all, as they slow you down and limit your potential. I also run with manual launch control. 

I suppose I don't really agree that they are necessarily too good' because after a billion restarts I can get close to them,especially once the cars been upgraded a few. However I definitely feel like the AI is too brutal and they get no penalties for bashing you into a wall. For example I'll be ahead of the pack and I'll make the turn but if the driver behind wants to take the joker they completely disregard that you're in front and obliterate you into pieces and of course no damage is done to their car. This would not happen in any Rallycross division without at least some sort of penalty or even black flag for being a complete asshat. I truly feel if anything needs to be fixed it is that. But I realise that the game is probably past its prime and will see no further updates.

Too difficult for me I know that I am not a good driver but does not help me to want to play it more often than I do