Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiRT Rally - AI drivers too good?

I don't understand... you want to gain success through less effort? Maybe this isn't the game for you. 
I guess you don't like Dark Souls either? 
Some stupid comparison, as they are very different kind of games regardless the level of difficulty, but ok. Dark Souls ain't that hard, and can be perfectly beaten. Dirt Rally AI times are borderline stupid. Absolutely artificial AI doesn't help the sense of self achievement.

And please don't begin with the "perhaps this isn't your game"  so typical to the hardcore wannabe. I may have been playing racing games way before you appeared scheduled as an idea in your parents life priorities list. So please give me the benefit of the doubt on this subject.

You make it sound like DiRT AI is unbeatable, which it's not.

I don't understand... you want to gain success through less effort? Maybe this isn't the game for you. 
Some stupid comparison, as they are very different kind of games regardless the level of difficulty, but ok. Dark Souls ain't that hard, and can be perfectly beaten. Dirt Rally AI times are borderline stupid. Absolutely artificial AI doesn't help the sense of self achievement.

And please don't begin with the "perhaps this isn't your game"  so typical to the hardcore wannabe. I may have been playing racing games way before you appeared scheduled as an idea in your parents life priorities list. So please give me the benefit of the doubt on this subject.
Simmer down. I traded an exaggerated comparison based on your comment. Why do you want the game to be easier when you can just practice and get better? You'll be beating Master times a few months down the line by a few seconds, and you'll look back on your comment and think, "Why?".
I know that because I was struggling this time last year in early access, and it didn't take long for me to improve and progress, but I'm still about 50-100 places behind people like @Porkhammer on quite a lot of stages in the leader boards. 

Also, you'd be very wide of the mark with your guesstimate of my age, and although it did provide me with a chuckle, what does age have to do with this? That's an odd card to play in an adult debate, hmm? On top of that, your dummy-out-the-pram comment on my approach to racing games is also laughable; I merely appreciate the creative direction Codemasters took with this game. 

The AI is fine. I have been driving with Lancia Stratos and finishing 10-30 seconds behind the leader, but without any major mistakes I think would be up there! :D 

I don't think the Ai are unbeatable or too hard per say, for me it is their consistency that is perhaps unrealistic. I've rallied through 4 championships so far and each time across all countries, terrains and weather there has always been one Ai driver who always finishes top from the start to the end of the season. The rest of the field are more random but I find it a tad unrealistic that there appears to be a default guy who is always finishing top unless you are. It basically makes it a 1 or 2 horse race (best case) I'd like to see that top guy have a tough time a bit more like the rest of us, particularly on the lower difficulties as it is more palatable at Elite level

First of all, get rid of the idea learned in "non-hardcore" racing games that you always have to finish 1st. Finishing 3rd in DR is a greater achievement and feels better than being 1st in most other racing games.

Man this game is seriously hard and I love it .

Im slowly getting better each time i play slowly learning how to set my car up and learning how to adjust my inputs,  I can't see myself ever winning ever stage but boy what a rush just coming in 3rd or even finishing at times.

Codies you have made the hardest racing game I've ever played and Ive played a lot but this on really tax's my concentration to the max

My only gripe would be that the lead car didn't win most ever race , everyone else seems to be random experiencing crashing and mechanical problems but he seems to be a superman behind the wheel .

But that aside weldone on an epic game , rallying as it should be.

First of all, get rid of the idea learned in "non-hardcore" racing games that you always have to finish 1st. Finishing 3rd in DR is a greater achievement and feels better than being 1st in most other racing games.
yeah I've managed setting 3rd and 2nd places many times, but most of the times you can see the AI times, specially the dude that is leading, or that is gonna win, are far beyond retarded, artifical and harder than impossible.  What sense of achievement can you get when you realize about this?. I got that feel you're talking about the first time I managed a 3rd, and a 2nd was like sex. I managed to even win the german rally once, but it was just that.

There can't be that feeling you're talking about when you realize AI times are stupid. I mean many times you do flat out stages, and most of them the AI crushes you by 20 seconds, 30, and atrocities like that. Man that's retarded, and whoever made such decisions about the AI times really freaks out big time

its funny say that the game is not hard , try to play it after a hard day's of work .... Supposedly I liked to have fun with the game but that's not what 's happening ...  Instead frustration is taking care of me ... In my opinion the big problem is that even in difficulty " OPEN " the game is still hard, i play racing games  for many years, and is the first time that in racing game a lower difficulty rarely win a race. I only ask one simple thing lower the difficulty at least in the OPEN difficulty. thanks.

The AI is fine. I have been driving with Lancia Stratos and finishing 10-30 seconds behind the leader, but without any major mistakes I think would be up there! :D 
It's a rubber band. The better you are the better the AI will be. There is no guarantee to win. You will get your win if the game wants you to. Then the leading AI driver will screw up. The AI is bad in all modes and it takes the fun out of the game.

I still think the difficulty levels are quite OK. Open is a good level, because it actually demands that you know the basics of how to drive a rally car to advance. If you can't beat Open, practice. The rest up to Masters are progressively harder, forcing you to be consistent and fast. Masters is a good level, and once you can consistently beat masters you're ready to move on to the leagues.
I would like a harder difficulty than Masters though.

It's a rubber band. The better you are the better the AI will be. There is no guarantee to win. You will get your win if the game wants you to. Then the leading AI driver will screw up. The AI is bad in all modes and it takes the fun out of the game.
When I win, it is because I drive well and don't crash.

RaylanGivens said:
False.

Why are you making things up? That is quite misleading information for new players.

fernandito01 said:

There can't be that feeling you're talking about when you realize AI times are stupid. I mean many times you do flat out stages, and most of them the AI crushes you by 20 seconds, 30, and atrocities like that. Man that's retarded, and whoever made such decisions about the AI times really freaks out big time
I managed to improve my 12 second gap to the leader by around 9 seconds on Pant Mawr Reverse. Not out of reach as I first thought. Git gud or crash tryin'.

Why are you making things up? That is quite misleading information for new players.
He must have played against WRC 5 AI, and is no longer able to form a proper opinion. 

@thecraicbear I'm sorry buddy, but why are you here? And just scrubbing through it looks like you dragged Porky into this too.
The game, being of a different style, is VERY like Dark Souls. I mean, maybe you smashed DS out of the park the first time you played it (which I doubt) but it's a game about learning the rules and tactics and applying it to combat. If you can't do that, you'll die. You lose. Good day sir. DR is much the same Over the past year I've put in maybe 100 hours? (I think Steam may have reset the clock when I switched to an SSD, right now it tells me 70 hours) Once I learned how the game functions and what the rules are, how fast I can go through certain corners, etc.. I can now pretty easily beat the AI, and I'm not even really trying. (Then again I've also got a triple setup and a wheel....) But their are some top class players using controllers and keyboard. The hardest part is learning the game, I really only do custom events on Greece, so any other location is basically new to me and I'm still coming out on top. Once you learn your car positioning and how to handle the corners it gets a lot easier. I would also suggest using at the very least sequential shifting, it gives you way more control and the automatic absolutely sucks.

JZStudios said:
@thecraicbear I'm sorry buddy, but why are you here? And just scrubbing through it looks like you dragged Porky into this too.
The game, being of a different style, is VERY like Dark Souls. I mean, maybe you smashed DS out of the park the first time you played it (which I doubt) but it's a game about learning the rules and tactics and applying it to combat. If you can't do that, you'll die. You lose. Good day sir. DR is much the same Over the past year I've put in maybe 100 hours? (I think Steam may have reset the clock when I switched to an SSD, right now it tells me 70 hours) Once I learned how the game functions and what the rules are, how fast I can go through certain corners, etc.. I can now pretty easily beat the AI, and I'm not even really trying. (Then again I've also got a triple setup and a wheel....) But their are some top class players using controllers and keyboard. The hardest part is learning the game, I really only do custom events on Greece, so any other location is basically new to me and I'm still coming out on top. Once you learn your car positioning and how to handle the corners it gets a lot easier. I would also suggest using at the very least sequential shifting, it gives you way more control and the automatic absolutely sucks.
What are you talking about, and why are you giving me attitude? :/ I'm super confused. Why is this all aimed at me? I've played 450 hrs of DR and love the digital bones of it. I really don't see how any of the above applies to me... 

It's also ironic that you used the DS thing against me when I've used that at least 3 times in the past week (almost word for word) against people on these forums who have disrespected DR and it's creative direction. I think you've misunderstood during your 'scrubbing'. 

JZStudios said:
What are you talking about, and why are you giving me attitude? :/ I'm super confused. Why is this all aimed at me? I've played 450 hrs of DR and love the digital bones of it. I really don't see how any of the above applies to me... 

It's also ironic that you used the DS thing against me when I've used that at least 3 times in the past week (almost word for word) against people on these forums who have disrespected DR and it's creative direction. I think you've misunderstood during your 'scrubbing'. 
No, no, just the first line. The rest is separate. And I don't see how I possibly used DS against you... But, I feel sad and confused now... :'(

JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:

No, no, just the first line. The rest is separate. And I don't see how I possibly used DS against you... But, I feel sad and confused now... :'(
I was so sad and confused!! Hold me! 

JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:

I was so sad and confused!! Hold me! 
httpscdnmemeaminstances58759824jpg
On a side note
httplolsnapscomupload_picSomeoneneedsahug-48155jpg

BadD0g said:
What the heck just happened? That was so confusing.
They had a fight and made up. Cuddles ensued.
See, this man gets it. Not really a fight though.

BadD0g said:
What the heck just happened? That was so confusing.
They had a fight and made up. Cuddles ensued.
I heard they were on a break, but they are back together now.