System Spec
MB: Asus P7P55D
CPU: i5-750 @3,5GHz
RAM: 4x2GB G.Skill ECO DDR3 1600MHz CL9
GPU: R9 290
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Keyboard: Logitech G110

Steps to reproduce
Happens pretty much at random moments. Usually while driving since that's where I spend most of the ingame time. One thing I noticed is that the bug also appeared while I was tabbed out of the game (game automatically goes to windowed mode then). More specifically I was typing something in Skype while the game was open and my PC kept spamming "n". Unplugging and replugging the keyboard solves the problem after you use the command the keyboard got stuck at once. The exact same bug also appeared in Dirt 3 and was never fixed there. It might be generally engine related?
I would be very glad about a fix since driving perfectly for 5 minutes and then crashing the car because of this bug is heartbreaking :'(

Your recent history of races 
I don't think this matters here... 

Which stage were you within the championship\custom event?
Problem can appear in any stage.

What were you doing specifically when the crashed occurred?
Driving. Using my keyboard.

How long was your current session?
Problem appeared after a few minutes as well as few hours.

Which graphics preset were you using?
Ultra Preset
4xMSAA (AAA via Catalyst Command Center)
Vsync off
1920x1080

11 answers to this question

Ah I think I've had a similar issue to this.  I had the game paused and the steam overlay open trying to chat to a friend when all of a sudden it just spams the chat window with 'w' and I'm completely locked out of my computer.  Didn't feel like any applications had crashed or the computer had hung but simply that I was locked out of using any other commands.

System Spec
Intel i7 @ 3.2Ghz
6gb Ram
Nvidia 770 2gb
Windows 8.1

Steps to reproduce
Any game mode - In menu or paused while driving and steam overlay open

Championship/Career mode thing

It seems to be repeatable in any stage

Steam overlay was open, chatting with a friend in the steam chat window

The first time was probably after I had been racing for an hour or so.  Once I was locked out of doing anything I restarted my computer and then the game, the issue then occured shortly after when I was once again trying to chat using the steam overlay

Ultra

Can we please get an answer if a fix for this is planned? I'm pretty sure the bug is known from Dirt 3.

It is incredibly frustrating. At the moment I can't even finish a long stage because the bug keeps causing me to crash the car at some point.

Yes I made a thread about this earlier that got no replies at all lol, quite awhile ago now I haven't had the bug since because I switched from keyboard to controller input but it has happened when typing to people in the steam overlay also so I just dont talk to people while in this game if possible, and the only fix is to unplug the keyboard like aforementioned. Hopefully it will be talked about and not swept under the rug because using steam or having the game open and using other apps like skype is bullshit for it to just lock up your keyboard at your last keystroke, otherwise great game so far. It was basically unplayable with keyboard driving because it happened every 2 or 3 stages consistently.

Same thing here on Logitech G110. I had the same problem on Dirt 3 and at the time I had to use another noname keyboard to play.

Similar problem here with a Microsoft keyboard. Just bought the game today and it's unplayable. The game just gets stuck on the last keystroke at random moments and the keyboard then doesn't respond at all :(

Same issue here, basically unplayable in the current state. Still have the same problem with Dirt3 too (will that get fixed?)
Quick Specs
Intel i5 3470 @ 3.2Ghz
16gb Ram
Nvidia gtx680 2gb
Windows 7 64bit
Keyboard: Microsoft Wired 600
By the way, I have installed the Microsoft mouse and keyboard center. Dunno if that plays a role in this matter.

dxdiag, cpu-z and gpu-z reports here
http://voodoovictim.bplaced.net/new_dir/dirt/

Steps to reproduce
Any game mode - In menu or paused while driving (steam overlay or not doesnt matter)

Championship/Career mode thing

It seems to be repeatable in any stage

Driving

15 Minutes

Very High, Fullscreen

Task switching to the desktop doesnt unfreeze the keyboard, only re-pluggin the USB-jack of the keyboard unfreezes the keyboard

This issue has been ignored for years now. Codemasters, this is a shame, you do not deserve your name. 

Only following two keyboards are affected: Microsoft Wired 600 and Logitech G110. The issue has been noticed in all Codemasters games made with EGO 2.0 and up, which are all PC releases since Operation Flashpoint: Red River. 

The bug occures at random points in time during gameplay, even in the pause menu. Often within 15 minutes of gameplay; there is no fix available. For those of you who do not wish to hard reset your PC, you can replug your keyboard to get it working again.

More detailed info: 
The keyboard is getting locked at a random input, it will be repeating last keypress forever. My Wired 600 has extra buttons (sound control and calculator hotkey) that will be functioning correctly, however other keys won't respond. If you play in windowed mode, you can switch to another application and close the game, but bug will persist until you either restart your system or replug your keyboard.

Windows does not recognize any problems with the keyboard, it is assuming that your keyboard is plugged in and functioning. I have personally experienced issue on Windows 7 64-bit. 

This bug is exclusive to Codemaster games made with EGO 2.0 and up, I have never had such issues with other games or applications. Codemasters, how about you either fix it or tell us what we can do about it already? It has been more than four years now, it's about time, isn't it? 

nvm.                                                                                             

I bought Dirt3 Complete recently, used to play Dirt3 all the time.
Issue: cannot complete a race - keyboard hangs.
Windows 10 (this worked on the same keyboard in windows 7 last year)
Based on age of this thread, its not a windows 10 problem - nor are these three unresolved steam forums threads encouraging to go by although they do provide a few clues to things that might help some people with this problem.
  1. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1903020
  2. http://steamcommunity.com/app/44320/discussions/0/846940249035824526/
  3. http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/168029-dirt3-causes-keyboard-freeze.html
  4. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2395233
Tried and still struggling to replay me fave driving sim :/

i had same situation like you - that mean when i played Dirt rally or Dirt 3 my keyboard freeze because i am driving on gamepad (thrustmaster) but i can play dirt showdown without freeze of keyboard. And i solved today - my power supply die and i had to replace it - so i replace my old power supply 420watts by new one 500 watts and problem is finally gone ... after half year :) *happy*
my keyboard is alien tactx and how i get idea that power supply died ? one day i get error message for whole day "kernel services stopped working and was recovered" and i cannot play stupid video on youtube, it looks like that my old power supply can gave some 300watts or less :D 
i hope that this will helps all of you because for this situation i accused Codemasters too, but problem was at my case on my desk, so i apologize to you, Codies and please excuse me .. i was wrong (finally i can continue dirt rally season :smile: )