DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
GRID Season 3 - Coming April 15th Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Cars do not drive straight using buttons

I am using a dualshock4 and the dpad for steering. Cars always drift slightly left or right when trying to go in a straight line, the steering does not go back to center correctly.

Edited by Sir.Smoke
  • Like 1

I've noticed this on XB1 with the Renault R26. I played the Fernando Alonso showdown at Sepang and for some reason the car moves from side to side going down the back straight. Very weird.

• Like 1

Hey!

Can you see this happen in the controller settings menu, or does it only happen during gameplay? Could it have something to do with the layout of the track, or the "controller ffb"?

Layout of the track ? Definitely not.. Just tested and the same happens when using keyboard. Took the R26, went to Sepang where there are two long straights in succession.
Trying to go straight, car starts pulling towards the right. I tap left to straighten it up, now it starts slowly drtifting left. I tap right, now it starts drifting right. And so on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Sir.Smoke said:

Layout of the track ? Definitely not.. Just tested and the same happens when using keyboard. Took the R26, went to Sepang where there are two long straights in succession.
Trying to go straight, car starts pulling towards the right. I tap left to straighten it up, now it starts slowly drtifting left. I tap right, now it starts drifting right. And so on.

Hmm sounds like the wheel for whatever reason either won't go to the exact value it should be in or it doesn't correct it as the input was too small. What if you hold the button and then release it, will it drift with the same amount as before or with higher turning/none at all?

There are currently 2 people reporting this, so I don't know if it's a problem with specific settings or something else... I'd want to take a look myself, but I can't do that until Saturday or so 😕 

Is there any possibility that this moving around is caused by track surface.  I know it looks like tarmac, and looks flat,  but is it?   Maybe codemasters added track imperfections? 

Most of the time my car brakes as I expect.  Sometimes it spins out, but thats down to brake bias and my cr4ppy driving.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ThatsJustFlukey said:

Is there any possibility that this moving around is caused by track surface.

Most definitely not.

1 hour ago, Ak1504 said:

Sounds like 0 Deadzone... Just add more and it should be fine i think...

Where am I supposed to do that with a controller ?

I am using 100% Sensitivity and 2 Dampening.

Just click on the left and right buttons in the controller menu and choose edit or something then you can define the deadzone for each direction separate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir.Smoke said:

You can not edit deadzone settings for buttons.

I already did it at release day ^^ But i´m on pc...

Go to the control options and make sure the correct device is chosen and set as primary device...

On the right side at the input bars you can already see if the steering position is at 0 when you don´t touch the stick...

Click on it and choose "edit device"

Screenshot_146.thumb.jpg.07f795f693c78426b420399d08addce2.jpg

Then mark the left or right steering button option and you can already see the current applied deadzone on the right side for the chosen button...

Screenshot_143.thumb.jpg.295eb2132d83cdf4b5f3a55b43e430c2.jpg

The again click on the button to edit his settings...

Screenshot_144.jpg.11648d45468a8b5b5728481045f76862.jpg

And now you can change the Deadzone and Saturation for it... (You have to do it for right and left steering separatly)

Screenshot_145.jpg.85a76991af66027c6606cba70e5be656.jpg

As I said already in the first post, I am using dpad for steering, not the stick. You can't change deadzone for buttons.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:03 PM, Sir.Smoke said:

As I said already in the first post, I am using dpad for steering, not the stick. You can't change deadzone for buttons.

Oh I missed that vital piece of info.  

The Dpad.   Why?  

Its bascially an on off switch.  So either your Dpad is broken, or your car is just following track imperfections.  Have you tried another controller? 

Solution - Buy a steering wheel, or use the thumbsticks.  

Yeah I've been experiencing the exact same issue on xbox aswell, an overall very floaty kind of feeling from the cars. Did you find an answer yet? 

6 hours ago, ThatsJustFlukey said:

Have you tried another controller?

The same happens with keyboard.

I've tried 3 different controllers now the issues is still the same for me aswell. Car usually pulls to one side straight off the start without touching the sticks. Played with all the settings but can't find a work around. The issue is definitely in the game. 

On 10/19/2019 at 1:17 AM, akaJohnCaesar said:

Yeah I've been experiencing the exact same issue on xbox aswell, an overall very floaty kind of feeling from the cars. Did you find an answer yet? 

Grid always felt a bit floaty... Thats the one thing they nailed in the reboot 😄

43 minutes ago, Ak1504 said:

Grid always felt a bit floaty... Thats the one thing they nailed in the reboot 😄

Yeah 😂 maybe lol, but like this fella the steering is wierd. After an input the steering should go back to centre and the vehicle should travel straight, but instead it still turns slightly to the direction of said input.