Sign in to follow this  

GRID 2019 Great Game, Horrible Multiplayer

Hello, been a while since I've been on here.

I've played the game at my friend's place on PC, we have the same wheel and similar hardware so it's what I can expect if I decide to buy it on my own.

The Good:
The overall feel of the racing is great, I love it. Not too serious, but every title doesn't have to be. The cars feel responsive and arcady, but unforgiving if you're doing a bad job of it.
The graphics aren't revolutionary, but they look good.

The Bad:
My biggest gripe with the game is the multiplayer.
The way you queue up is lackluster, there aren't enough details to select what you're queuing for and racing with bots should not be the standard.

Suggestions:

• If you're worried that people will be waiting too long to start playing, let them play a separate single player race while waiting, and when a lobby has been formed, notify the player so they can join in.
  • Let the player set the minimum amount of players they want for their lobby.
  • Let people choose in advance which classes they're interested in queuing up for.
  • When the 3 races of a lobby has been completed, let people vote to race again with the same players, and possibly wait for more people to join.
  • Let people do a single qualifying lap. Just give every player a flying simultaneous start at the beginning of the straight before the finish line. Have people be ghosted out to each other, TrackMania style.

Currently I'd give the single player 9/10. It really is great fun.
At the same time I'd only give the multiplayer 4/10 because of the issues mentioned, but I believe that score can be doubled to 8/10 if things are fixed.
Whether ramming will be too much of an issue, we'll see. Players are a bit more sinister than bots when it comes to that.

Edited by AtotehZ
  • Agree 6

Hi there, thank you for your feedback 🙂 

We're looking at multiplayer right now internally and discussing some potential tweaks to further improve the experience for all. For example, we're looking at ways to increase the chances of successful matchmaking and fuller lobbies. It's a priority for us and I'll bring you news on progress if and when we have it. Thanks 🙂 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

36 minutes ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

We're looking at multiplayer right now internally and discussing some potential tweaks to further improve the experience for all. For example, we're looking at ways to increase the chances of successful matchmaking and fuller lobbies. It's a priority for us and I'll bring you news on progress if and when we have it. Thanks 🙂 

- no regional setup lobby matching (the old trick to configure uk as regional into game setup should be not needed anymore)

- main lobby list public, with all the custum lobbys listed, who join online the first thing is to check how many people are playing.

- NO AI into multiplayer, easy !

- and please we are asking for years built in text chat (everywhere, lobby and racing).

- The possibility to spectate the race from inside lobby and inside race (retire, car totaled etc).

Make a mega patch with this inside, enjoy multiplayer and grid2019 success. More wait more people will refund this game, at now is totally unplayable online. Big fiasco.

• Agree 6

Tweaks wont cut it in multiplayer, allowing private games to be set as open and having quick match people join our lobbies would help all involved.

• Agree 3

28 minutes ago, GavinMac said:

Tweaks wont cut it in multiplayer, allowing private games to be set as open and having quick match people join our lobbies would help all involved.

I like the idea that any player selecting "quickmatch" ends up in a user created custom public lobby.  Perfect!!  👍🤟

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Firstly thanks for the information, very much appreciated.

However, I fear the multiplayer needs more than a few tweaks.  As a minimum the AI need to be removed (the vast majority of people don't want them).  We also need a way of creating open lobbys and the ability to chose what car class we race in quickmatch.

A multiplayer like that in Grid Autosport would be ideal for me.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Thank you for your response. I hope you'll forward suggestions to the appropriate channels.

The most important tweaks would be:

• Removing bots as the default, if you can't select for it to be on/off, just disable it.
  • You wanna guarantee the player to join with at least 4-8 when they join a lobby.
  • Allow friends to party up before queuing.
Edited by AtotehZ
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Thanks for the update 😃

• Like 1

Just copy and paste the Grid AS Multiplayer Mode...

Thats the one thing i will never understand why games are made that are worse in some things then the previous game... I mean who thinks thats a good idea that will sell ? I can´t get it in my head... 

If i would make a new game in a well known franchise i would build up on the features the previous game had to make the successor even better... Is that so hard ?

• Agree 2

Anything to get players racing other players really.  The current system just doesn't work for that.  It's a new game with a lot of hype, there should basically be full lobbies, especially considering you only have one to choose from.  Some sort of rating (ELO?) system would be great consdering this game feels tailor made for quick online racing.  But at this point, I'd settle for simply being able to race other people.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ak1504 said:

Just copy and paste the Grid AS Multiplayer Mode...

Thats the one thing i will never understand why games are made that are worse in some things then the previous game... I mean who thinks thats a good idea that will sell ? I can´t get it in my head... 

If i would make a new game in a well known franchise i would build up on the features the previous game had to make the successor even better... Is that so hard ?

Many people have the same questions, i think cause developers and the team (executive, producers, designers, etc) is everytime new with new people inside. And every year is smaller, so less people and more work… at the end you have to cut something, while this people are maybe making a grid episode for the first time… thats can explain why newer grid episodes lack of some content.

Thats no excuse for me... Oh we did not know how good the other games are / what features and modes they have because we are new and did not take a look ? lol

Edited by Ak1504

Sadly it will be more of a case of the developers who have blood and sweat invested in the game losing the fight make the game they want and forced to get it out the door by people higher up.

Then there is the issue of multi platform release where we have seen many times before, that designing for console holds back the pc version.

The coders have done a fantastic job on the game, just look at the screenshots, it just should of been released to early access and not kick out the door to get money. I'm sure it would make more money and be more popular being early access and gaining community support.

• Agree 1

All they have to do is play every previous grid game. Sit down together and play each game for 1 hour. Make notes what you think is good and what is to be improved. Then start working on a new Grid so you can only make it better then previous games. Easy.

• Agree 3

I got to race today against some really good racers today in the Touring Car Series in the Club forum on the Xbox.  The racing was amazing with 3 races at one track for 14 laps with 14 people on the grid and no AI to be seen.  It really showcased what this game could be in this game.

It's a shame the vast majority of people have not gotten to experience this with the game because of vicious AI in Multiplayer and poor matchmaking getting players into a lobby together with each other.  If people experienced what I just did today, or even a portion of it, I'm sure their opinions of the game would be different.  So much potential and so many people that probably won't even give the game another look because of the initial implementation.  My worry is if they fix it, will it be too late to matter?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Kaylos29 said:

I got to race today against some really good racers today in the Touring Car Series in the Club forum on the Xbox.  The racing was amazing with 3 races at one track for 14 laps with 14 people on the grid and no AI to be seen.  It really showcased what this game could be in this game.

I was in those races, they were brilliant.

Clips here for anyone that wants a look 🙂 

12 hours ago, Kaylos29 said:

It's a shame the vast majority of people have not gotten to experience this with the game because of vicious AI in Multiplayer and poor matchmaking getting players into a lobby together with each other.  If people experienced what I just did today, or even a portion of it, I'm sure their opinions of the game would be different.  So much potential and so many people that probably won't even give the game another look because of the initial implementation.  My worry is if they fix it, will it be too late to matter?

We just need private lobbies to turn into public and everything is solved... 

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Miatakias_GR said:

We just need private lobbies to turn into public and everything is solved... 

Definitely better than what we have right now.  The most popular online games have built in game lobbies and rating systems to dangle a carrot to keep playing.  But at this point, public lobbies would be a much easier way to build a community from random players meeting each other.  I've managed to make friends from the current system, but it can be difficult when you only get one or two players in a lobby to play with.

1 hour ago, Kaylos29 said:

Definitely better than what we have right now.  The most popular online games have built in game lobbies and rating systems to dangle a carrot to keep playing.  But at this point, public lobbies would be a much easier way to build a community from random players meeting each other.  I've managed to make friends from the current system, but it can be difficult when you only get one or two players in a lobby to play with.

Are you PC/Steam user? If yes you can add me , i am gonna create a topic both here and on Steam forums for players to add each other and play in private lobbies until public lobbies to come with any upcoming update (hopefully)

Xbox, which probably has the lowest population.  Shame there isn't some cross-platform cross-play.  Forza has it with PC and Xbox.  Obviously a microsoft title, but it would seem the similarity between PC and Xbox hardware would make that one a no-brainer.  But there are other games out there that do it across all the platforms, and in games like these it would help the online population immensely.

Having the AI in multiplayer is a game breaker. They must be removed. The lack of quality in multiplayer is mostly due to the AI. That you force us to race with them idiots are beyond me. 

And it’s even more absurd when you think of fact the most criticized decision on Grid Autosport was the impact AI had in the Racenet challenges. We are basically asking for the same thing, but now we can’t avoid it. And it wasn’t like this was a decision based on good intention and that community reacted differently from what would you have expected. The reaction couldn’t be a surprise to anyone. 

Edited by NWRStorm
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

A question

Did i miss something but ... can you tune your cars between online races ? I mean, my car has short gears. Next track has long straight road .. you get pwned because you have short gears. *** ? 

• Agree 1