Video settings resetting at every launch

Hi guys,

Yesterday I started grid 2019, adjusted the video settings (both resolution and advanced ones), completed the first three tutorial races and quitted the game.
Relaunching after some time, I noticed that all the video settings were "resetted" (like at very first launch: resolution 1024x768, windowed, 30fps cap and low details...)

I've made some tests and what I have found is that the "hardware_settings_config.xml" in "Documents\My Games\GRID (2019)\hardwaresettings" is saved correctly after quitting the game but is overwritten at the next launch of the game:
for instance, my desired resolution would be 2560x1080, fullscreen, 60fps:
in the file it would be saved like this -> <resolution width="2560" height="1080" displayMode="1" vsync="false" maxFPS="60" vsyncInterval="0" dynamicResolution="false">
but relaunching the game that line is overwritten by these "defaults" -> <resolution width="1024" height="768" displayMode="0" vsync="false" maxFPS="30" vsyncInterval="0" dynamicResolution="false">

I'm playing on this configuration:
I7 4770
RTX 2060 super
16GB ram
500GB SSD (Windows and Steam are on a separate SSD)
windows 10 home 64bit (build 18362)
directx 12
21:9 1080p 60fps monitor
logitech F710 wireless
steam (other games works just fine)
latest game ready drivers
english language

I've tried launching in more "common" resolution of 1920x1080 -> no change
I've tried deleting hardware_settings_config.xml to force its recreation -> no change
I've tried overwriting manually hardware_settings_config.xml before launching the game -> no change
I've tried changing a gameplay setting -> this one is saved correctly (changed KPH to MPH)

At this point I'm out of ideas... Any help/suggestion will be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Change settings ingame, check if they changed in the file, then make the file read-only. Or edit settings directly in the file. Maybe will work.

• Agree 1

Maybe nVidia GeForce Experience reset the settings. Look into it and check the optimization settings for Grid. Try to set your settings there.

hardware_settings and hardware_info are regenerated on every launch.

Try setting it up how you want it, alt+tab and mark them as read only.

Obviously a workaround - have you tried launching as Admin?

Hi all, thanks for the replies

First things first: uninstalling and reinstalling the game didn't change anything (as expected 🙂 )

That said, i've made these tests (i'll focus only on resolution and window mode):

test 1
1-optimization with geforce experience -> 2560x1080 fullscreen
2-check hardware_settings_config.xml -> correct (2560x1080 fullscreen)
3-launching the game -> starts 1024x768 windowed and hardware_settings_config.xml gets resetted (1024x768 windowed)

test 2
3-hardware_settings_config.xml read-only
4-launching the game -> starts 1024x768 windowed BUT hardware_settings_config.xml doesn't change (the resolution remains 2560x1080 fullscreen, simply it is ignored - also if the file is in read-only mode, geforce experience is not able read current settings and optimize it)
side-note: not shure 100%, but I think that hardware_settings_config.xml is the same before and after starting the game because it has the read-only flag in both moments... Plus, if the hardware_settings_config.xml is not editable and the game would have to overwrite it, after its launch there will be another hardware_settings_config.xml, but this is not the case...

test 3
3-launching the game as admin-> starts 1024x768 windowed and hardware_settings_config.xml gets resetted (1024x768 windowed)

test 4
1-launching the game
2-edit settings from the game (2560x1080 fullscreen)
3-check hardware_settings_config.xml -> correct (2560x1080 fullscreen)
4-hardware_settings_config.xml read-only
5-launching the game -> starts 1024x768 windowed BUT hardware_settings_config.xml doesn't change (the resolution remains 2560x1080 fullscreen, simply it is ignored)

test5
1-edit settings manually to 1920x1080 windowed
2-launching the game -> starts 1024x768 windowed and hardware_settings_config.xml gets resetted (1024x768 windowed)

i'm loosing hope...

p.s. my windows 10 version is 1903

Edited by AndreaT