DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

New projects, some ideas for Codemasters.

This thread is not related to any comparison with grid2019. I just want to write some ideas. the goal is entertainmet, gameplay, racing, competition. Call me old fashioned guy, i think this kind of fun can exist only into a full features and well designed multiplayer game like the one we had into grid2008.

So my idea is:

A completely new game called GRID online, a free to play with some bonuses at payment.

So, lets talk about details:

GRID Online, Fully features online only game, no single player. Now, full feature mean that online must be designed by someone who know what i mean. So:

- no bullsht, no AI cars, no flashbacks, no random quick match.

- Just a fully customizable lobby system

- A main room with everything listed, the eye need to know instantly how many people are playing. Then good marks simbols to know what lobby choose.

- no regional matching for lobby, just you can find everyone default online, no trick to set UK into steam game settings or things like that

- THE STATS player system, is important, you need to track the stats, how many races, how many vicories, how many cars totaled, etc, etc.

- KICK VOTE system.

- the built in text chat

- the spectator mode from lobby and on racing.

- a free to play base packet of circuits, tracks and cars. Additional content at payment. 

- Full damage system (we don't need ferrari, let lost them).

- Two different modes, tuned cars and stock cars. So two different branch of leaderboards. Not a separate lobby list, just an option inside the lobby.

- Moderated Leaderboards, no fake time lap like 00:00:01 etc

- Leaderboards showed into a new page on racenet from browser.

- Stock cars can allow a minimal setup, tuned cars a full setup customization. (all parameters, gear ratio, suspensions, tyre pressure, camber, etc)

- You can build your garage, keep your tuned cars, and use them into tuned competitions.

- A meter for tuned cars, so example 4 parameters and a point 1 to 10 for each paramenter (so you can see other players car is more tuned than yours).

- The possibility to save different setups to use into specific track, (you can load car setup directly inside lobby).

- so on.. i'll add more

Now this is not a dream list or something impossible to develop (most of the things i listed are already into grid1), i just want to share this ideas with community, and improve with other people ideas. 

Let make this happen !

Edited by FlashStealth
just grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Aside from being free and online only it sounds just like Project Cars.  Ian Bell totally nailed the online for those games !

• Agree 2

So it sounds like Raceroom with terrible driving mechanics (GRID style). Find it hard to believe there will be a huge market that will sustainably pay for "content" when you have things like Forza (& Horizon) which give you a huge amount of base content for the single price point.

• Agree 1

Great Ideas but nothing is 'free' i.e development time to implement this. That will be for the other racers as said who charge or have the game designed for this already.

I would say GRID is designed for the casual player who does not have time for hours on a console/PC who wants to jump in after a busy day or between family times.  It will also attract 'old school' racers who want to set up a custom arcade match, play some offline championships and a nice break from sims to relax for some 'fun'. Drive Club got it right but there hasn't been anything like it since. GRID fills that 'niche' until the PS5/next Gen.

It is nice to see games going back to some offline options to be honest, not everyone wants to play online with random players that drive in to you. I have actually been put off going online over the years with bad players.

Although I do like all your suggestions and it's benefits if it is all set up correctly with all the options available to the host or player before they start the match as I have had some great races online in the past.👍

3 hours ago, Leo Natan said:

So it sounds like Raceroom with terrible driving mechanics (GRID style). Find it hard to believe there will be a huge market that will sustainably pay for "content" when you have things like Forza (& Horizon) which give you a huge amount of base content for the single price point.

grid style drive mechanics is not terrible, is halfway arcade-sim. Just imagine grid not raceroom (i played it since was beta and is totally different).

Don't forget, grid means also drift (huge fan base) and demolition derby. And grid Touring cars have also lot of people following that style… 

I can make a bet, a grid style game with all the good stuff inside, just this 3: (demolition derby, drift, Touring) you have Tomorrow 1000 people online playing actively.

2 hours ago, torque99uk said:

Great Ideas but nothing is 'free' i.e development time to implement this. That will be for the other racers as said who charge or have the game designed for this already.

I would say GRID is designed for the casual player who does not have time for hours on a console/PC who wants to jump in after a busy day or between family times.  It will also attract 'old school' racers who want to set up a custom arcade match, play some offline championships and a nice break from sims to relax for some 'fun'. Drive Club got it right but there hasn't been anything like it since. GRID fills that 'niche' until the PS5/next Gen.

It is nice to see games going back to some offline options to be honest, not everyone wants to play online with random players that drive in to you. I have actually been put off going online over the years with bad players.

Although I do like all your suggestions and it's benefits if it is all set up correctly with all the options available to the host or player before they start the match as I have had some great races online in the past.👍

free to play is not free ! check on google how it works...

I know lot of so said casual players with over 2000h of game into grid1... multiplayer is what keep alive a game, once you done with offline the game is done… multiplayer is infinite.

• Agree 3

17 minutes ago, FlashStealth said:

I can make a bet, a grid style game with all the good stuff inside, just this 3: (demolition derby, drift, Touring) you have Tomorrow 1000 people online playing actively.

Could I place the same bet? :classic_cool:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FlashStealth said:

grid style drive mechanics is not terrible, is halfway arcade-sim. Just imagine grid not raceroom (i played it since was beta and is totally different).

Don't forget, grid means also drift (huge fan base) and demolition derby. And grid Touring cars have also lot of people following that style… 

There is nothing "sim" about Grid 2019. When you have an open wheel former F1 car and a stock car feeling the same, and having the same grip (or lack there of), there is nothing "sim" about it. Original Grid was much better in that regard.

What does Drift and DD have to do with anything? Are you saying that if those exist, somehow people will be much more susceptible to paying monthly/content fees? I don't think so.

Keep dreaming (and don't waste your money on silly bets)

3 hours ago, torque99uk said:

a nice break from sims to relax for some 'fun'.

You do understand that people who race sims find them fun, right? They don't "work" on the sim, looking to arcade for fun. Almost nobody who enjoys sims would enjoy this game.

To give you an example from the Codemasters world, the intersection between people who enjoy Dirt Rally and people who enjoy the nonsense of Dirt 2 is very small. I'd say Grid 2019 handles worse than Dirt 2 did.

3 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Almost nobody who enjoys sims would enjoy this game.

To give you an example from the Codemasters world, the intersection between people who enjoy Dirt Rally and people who enjoy the nonsense of Dirt 2 is very small. 

Dumb statement is dumb. A large amount of people who play sims also enjoy G19. Numerous youtubers and people on the discord. Myself included.

Same can be said for Dirt as well.

Just because they handle different doesn't mean that the people playing are different..

Edited by mojoe_x
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

You mean "influencer" "utubers" who jump from one game to the next, regardless of content or style, because they are looking to make them views somehow? (Oh and the struggle is real, utub has demonitized their content oeh noez how will they make money now??? /rant)

Come on. Go to racedepartment and make a poll in the serious sections how many people enjoy both. It will be bimodal distribution, yes, with some in the middle, but mostly toward the extremes (sim fans liking only sim and arcade fans liking mostly arcade)

Demolition derby and drift ''have to to'' with grid, people want it inside the package, so people will play it… read how many people are asking for drift and dd...

The amount of money to pay is not something you can guess, is related to a market analisys. I know a lot of friends who are grid players here on forum, on Facebook and steam. So i have in mind clear what people want and what can be succssful. Just some numbers to you: around 100 gridders on Facebook, other 100 to flash team group on Facebook, 80sub on ytube (all gridders), 150friends all racers on steam and 130 racers on flash team steam group. I have a network of 560 people. 

When i say that just demolition derby, drift and Touring will fill up around 1000 people the first day of release, trust me, are not random numbers.

51 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

You do understand that people who race sims find them fun, right? They don't "work" on the sim, looking to arcade for fun. Almost nobody who enjoys sims would enjoy this game.????

To give you an example from the Codemasters world, the intersection between people who enjoy Dirt Rally and people who enjoy the nonsense of Dirt 2 is very small. I'd say Grid 2019 handles worse than Dirt 2 did.

Seriously? I have played most sims for many years but It was actually Director Chris Smith who said this. This is how they were selling it to SIM fans, I watched quite a few interviews before release. 👍

"I am So happy to announce that this really is a reboot and GRID is back. So for those of you who missed the GRIDs of old, and lead developer Chris Smith in my interview with him earlier this year said it perfectly “ it’s a game were arcade fan can come for fun and sim fans can come for serious fun” and I can’t help but agree with him. After a few days with the game, I’m hooked."

Source: https://stoffelpresents.com/grid-where-arcade-meets-sim-in-the-ultimate-playground

Edited by torque99uk
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Yes, of course he'd like that. But Codemasters know well enough that this doesn't work. This is why the Dirt Rally series live in a spin off, why Dirt 4 was so unsuccessful (undeservedly, IMO) while Dirt Rally 2.0 is successful—because sim racing fans didn't want anything to do with the mainline Dirt series after Dirt 2 and Dirt 3.

From another interview with Chris Smith:

Codemasters has created what it calls a ‘consistent core experience’. “What we really didn't want was for the player to have to relearn handling for each car class,” says Smith. “We wanted a core Grid spirit handling that is at the base, that feels familiar when you pick up any new car.”

😂😂😂😂😂

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/05/24/the-5-key-features-that-make-grid-unique

"Fun"

Grid 2019 is a lot more arcade than the original Grid, let alone Autosport. There is little "fun" about the same boat physics applied to all vehicles. There is little "fun" in playing bumper cars with F1 vehicles and no damage affecting the car. There is "little" fun in having 2 lap "career" mode.

Edited by Leo Natan
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Leo Natan said:

You mean "influencer" "utubers" who jump from one game to the next, regardless of content or style, because they are looking to make them views somehow? (Oh and the struggle is real, utub has demonitized their content oeh noez how will they make money now??? /rant)

Come on. Go to racedepartment and make a poll in the serious sections how many people enjoy both. It will be bimodal distribution, yes, with some in the middle, but mostly toward the extremes (sim fans liking only sim and arcade fans liking mostly arcade)

Well I mean, I could go to a website focused on SIM racers and ask them if they like arcade racers, but am I going to in order to confirm your biased point? Nope.

People like what they like. Some people like to try everything. Some people prefer sims, some don't. So refrain from making bold subjective statements about it based on your personal preference.

5 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Grid 2019 is a lot more arcade than the original Grid, let alone Autosport. There is little "fun" about the same boat physics applied to all vehicles. There is little "fun" in playing bumper cars with F1 vehicles and no damage affecting the car. There is "little" fun in having 2 lap "career" mode.

Starting to wonder how much of any of the GRID games you've played.

In order of the most (objectively) arcade handling:

1. GRID2
  2. GRID
  3. Autosport
  4. GRID19

If you disagree with that then I suggest you shut up and stick to your sim racers.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mojoe_x said:

If you disagree with that then I suggest you shut up and stick to your sim racers.

"If you disagree with me then don't post and go away"

Quality argumentation right there. 🙄

Just now, Leo Natan said:

"If you disagree with me then don't post and go away"

Quality argumentation right there. 🙄

Thanks for confirming the point. Think twice about preaching subjective opinions as fact next time.

• Haha 1

@Leo Natan Going back a few years I would agree with you. I know quite a few Sim racers on forums that would not play arcade but I also know many who do and love DriveClub/Forza and GRID.

I would say anyone who loves racing games loves cars in general (Petrol Head) and would try most games as racing is becoming a niche market this gen and there are not that many now. Subjective subject as said I guess.  👍🎮

• Agree 3

Okay. I understand your point @Leo Natan

you are missing the OP and going off topic. Stick to the thread. We are not talking about what is fun or not, everyone cannot have fun with everything, is subjective. And the OP is not born to make stats about that.

I open this thread just to write this idea and add other people ideas on it. Market analisys is not our job (even if i already done something similar), if this idea will take a place into development projects, codemasters will make the right choice about it on the marketing plan, and try to offer an entertainment for bigger audience possible. Of course a game never born to please everyone, there is a target. If grid series not fit your gaming target you should play what you like and don't mark as unrealizable what you don't like. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, torque99uk said:

@Leo Natan Going back a few years I would agree with you. I know quite a few Sim racers on forums that would not play arcade but I also know many who do and love DriveClub/Forza and GRID.

I would say anyone who loves racing games loves cars in general (Petrol Head) and would try most games as racing is becoming a niche market this gen and there are not that many now. Subjective subject as said I guess.  👍🎮

Yes, true. I fall in the middle to sim category too, so I like Forza Motorsport but can't stand Horizon, I like Dirt 4, even if not hardcore like Rally (I love Rally too), but hated Dirt 2 (3 was better). Definitely I have mellowed my sim-only stance due to what you say, niche getting more niche. 😞

I really disliked the Grid 2019 driving model. I really felt like a boat in the tutorials. In the tutorial missions, you drive a prototype, a stock car and a GT car. They honestly felt like the same boat. I then used Cheat Engine (😂) to hack the amount of cash I had to buy the F1 car. And it too felt like a boat. How anyone can claim this is less arcade than Grid 1 is beyond me.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Leo Natan said:

You do understand that people who race sims find them fun, right? They don't "work" on the sim, looking to arcade for fun. Almost nobody who enjoys sims would enjoy this game.

I am a sim racer, but found Grid 2019 very interesting to say the least at first. Especially the FWD touring cars I liked them a lot, the game has fantastic gfx and sound, the handling is more or less ok with them and gave me a chance to drive those around extremely well made street circuits, which you can rarely find in real sims.

If the game was good as a whole, I am sure I would be spending a few 100s hours with this class alone, but unfortunately it has so many problems, AI is too easy even at very hard (like it was in GAS, too), the career consists of 2-3 lap races only, there are no community events, the sort-of time trial leaderboards we have make not much sense since you can flashback your laps indefinitely, multiplayer has AI cars and no car class selection!!! Huge potential wasted IMO, because the core was very promising for a very very nice game...

• Agree 1