Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Rally - Engine stalling without reason

G27, h shifter + clutch.

I can understand the engine stalling if you drop the rpm´s too much on hairpins, but it stalls on jumps too, it stalls mid-air!

The issue seems to happen when i have the throttle and brakes applied at the same time. Regardless of car, all that i tried so far had the same behaviour. FWD, RWD, AWD.

I just tried to reproduce this problem by jumping the same car (stock tune) and jamming the brakes on fully, as well as applying full brake when moving, and trying with both full throttle and no throttle. Couldn't make it stall, even with handbrake applied as well (which grp B cars didn't have due to low-tech diffs... anyway)

What settings are your assists at? Mine are: TCS off, ABS 3, STC off. Just wondered if ABS was preventing my engine stalling (idk? maybe letting the wheels turn slightly helps).

Also, an FYI - don't brake when in the air, it massively destabilises the car when it lands. Not related to this issue, it's just "in general". Just a friendly tip ;D

I don´t use any assists, it could be the abs (or lack of) doing this. Still a bit confusing, i´ve never thought about stalling an engine only by the "fight" between brakes and engine without the weight of the car itself. But i guess it could happen?

Same for me...
if u take a rwd car and pull the handbrake the car is often stops even after you release the handbrake and the car still has some speed...

Tried today with abs on, still stalling... 

@NeuroPirate are you using the clutch?
I don't change gear with clutch so I'm assuming I'm not.

Happened to me as well, during jumps, a couple of times in different cars. A touch of brakes a second too early by mistake (before "touchdown") and the engine stalls immediately. H-Shifter + clutch, all assists off, no manual start control.

Clutch support is generally a bit sloppy at the moment, with some silly side-effects, what we see here might be yet another glitch related to it.

Only times I stall is if I forget to poke in the clutch when i apply handbrake :P

Same problem (no assist)
Also i have neutral drops
I have the same inssue on dirt 3...
 http://steamcommunity.com/app/321040/discussions/1/611702631223523960/?l=spanish
https://steamcommunity.com/app/321040/discussions/0/611702631252018670/#p1

Ok, now I'm having the problem too, even over small bumps before corners, when I downshift and brake the engine stalls.. And it should be able to start again when releasing clutch while rolling.. (bump start, duhh) but nope.. gotta let the game restart the car -.-

This happens even with secuantial gearbox. When you brake hard and slowly downshft to enter a slow corner, you have chances to get the engine stalled. Once you release the brake, autoclutch works again and the car starts rolling if you have engaged a short gear (1-2)

As this is the first google hit when searching for this issue, I'll just necromance it.
Nothing has changed, it's gotten worse if anything, no actual feedback of it happening, happens regardless of Manual, Sequential or Automatic gears  ( which if going for realism is nearly impossible to do in reality with a real AT... ).

Also the car somehow keeps on being off even with gear in and wheels turning after it stalled, this is just plain dumb and doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

The car simply dies and loses all power, no sound difference from engine from what I can hear ( don't want to crank up the engine volume too much ).

What happens is that when you hit the throttle, it throws your car away flying out of corners as you are not aware of it happening.

On gravel, I get no audio or wheel feedback when the engine stalls, I notice it when I try to apply the throttle on the next corner, which turns into disasters.

Destroys immersion which this game has plenty of otherwise.

This bugs me too. Usually happens when braking hard into a turn I hit a bump and engine stalls. Now, this makes sense  - of course it can stall if I lock the drive wheels because I'm in the air with brakes applied and no throttle. What I have a problem with is that half a second later when I'm back on the ground, still in the same gear, still going the same speed so the engine must still be turning at the same RPM and the ignition is on it's still "stalled". unless there's some sort of safety cutout it should surely spring back into life. My real cars and those in Project Cars allow bump starts.
I can prevent it happening by dipping the clutch but I'm sure that can't be the right technique. Also happens with just the slightest touch of handbrake in RWD,  although this is less of an issue because it's easier to remember to clutch at the critical point, also I generally don't use handbrake in these cars.

If it makes a difference I'm on PS4 with G29 wheel+H shifter, all assists off and touchpad of a DS4 controller mapped to handbrake