Ai give you no space

The ai has a habit of just turning in on me, even if I am alongside. I have at times had to cut corners just to avoid contact. This never happened in the previous games, just this year. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 3

The AI are more aggressive this year and will not just “give” you the corner like they used to. You have to have your nose clearly in front before turn in if you’re going up the inside otherwise they will take their normal line as they’re entitled to and you should be backing out. 

We see it all the time in real F1 that the defending driver will turn in unless the one trying to overtake is clearly in front.

The game does a brilliant job of this with the AI this year in my opinion, a big step forward.

It does require a change of attitude from us though, the AI will not simply jump out of the way like they used to just because we are trying to pass.

Whenever i have had my nose infront before/at turn in point, they have not turned in to me, but sometimes it is hard to tell without watching the replay and i think we all have a tendency to blame the AI for every incident when sometimes we should have backed out of it.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, kalamazoo123 said:

The AI are more aggressive this year and will not just “give” you the corner like they used to. You have to have your nose clearly in front before turn in if you’re going up the inside otherwise they will take their normal line as they’re entitled to and you should be backing out. 

We see it all the time in real F1 that the defending driver will turn in unless the one trying to overtake is clearly in front.

The game does a brilliant job of this with the AI this year in my opinion, a big step forward.

It does require a change of attitude from us though, the AI will not simply jump out of the way like they used to just because we are trying to pass.

Whenever i have had my nose infront before/at turn in point, they have not turned in to me, but sometimes it is hard to tell without watching the replay and i think we all have a tendency to blame the AI for every incident when sometimes we should have backed out of it.

Yep. The AI are a massive improvement this year. You can’t just dive down the inside of the AI from far back. Just like real life. You have to race the AI like you would with real people, respect them. The only real problem with the AI is that they don’t make any mistakes, we don’t see them spinning out or going wide. 

• Agree 2

I know exactly what you two mean, but the OP is correct. The AI are bugged this year if they start to brake before you're alongside, making any kind of late braking move impossible.

Essentually they will completely ignore you in this scenario even to the point of turning in more after they contact you. 

This is highly recreatable and I encourage you to try it, if they brake with you at least 1mm alongside, they will race you hard but fair, exactly how you describe, but if you're 1mm behind they will drive like you're not there. 

Watch Ricciardo's race winning overtake on Bottas https://youtu.be/AVqCf2A0KNg

This move is impossible in F1 2019 without contact. 

So yes, the AI is better than the roll over AI of yesteryear but they still have problems like the OP describes. 

• Agree 2

The ai are on rails for sure, although if you are ahead on an adjacent track they will at least let you join yours ahead of them. I have the feeling if the tracks were upside-down the ai care would still stick to the track... 

• Haha 3

I kind of like it, except for weeklies in the inevitable cluster**** that is turn 1.

Can't see your mirrors in cockpit and on console, you dont have enough buttons to look left or right. So basically you have to hold the line and pray they don't clip you. Usually, they do.lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

I kind of like it, except for weeklies in the inevitable cluster**** that is turn 1.

Can't see your mirrors in cockpit and on console, you dont have enough buttons to look left or right. So basically you have to hold the line and pray they don't clip you. Usually, they do.lol

After a while I now drive with my mirrors just in view and you can see the other cars but when close you can't it nice the mirrors can adjust up and down but in and out would help alot.. 

Changing you fov take time to get back to your lap view.

This view help a bit with AI & people.

Only time I feel AI need adjusting maybe in practice that's the one time when they don't need to be so aggressive in corners when you pass them but it's good practice on the other hand.

• Agree 1

They act like you are not there. Every overtake I do they turn in and break my front wing. Only overtakes where they don't are when I am far enough ahead that when they turn in the hit the back of my car not the front. 

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

34 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

They act like you are not there. Every overtake I do they turn in and break my front wing. Only overtakes where they don't are when I am far enough ahead that when they turn in the hit the back of my car not the front. 

Well i think that says more about your driving than the AI!

• Haha 2

*Rolls eyes

We get it you're amazing at the game! Everyone who has problems with AI behaviour in rain, overtaking etc is just rubbish at the game lol

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

*Rolls eyes

We get it you're amazing at the game! Everyone who has problems with AI behaviour in rain, overtaking etc is just rubbish at the game lol

I didn’t say that, and don’t think it for a second.

I do absolutely believe though that the are a big improvement this year, and i get really frustrated when i see people moaning about an improvement because they still want to drive like demolition derby and expect the AI to jump out of their way!

If you are struggling, maybe turn the AI level down a bit, and pick your spots for overtakes more carefully, like real F1 drivers have to. You don’t need to sling it up the inside at every corner then blame the AI for the inevitable contact.

You also have the option to turn damage down or off if you really do just want to drive like that.

• Agree 1

Wet weather the AI are the worst, makes only for interesting racing as the AI don't all pit together anymore so mixed weather creates unique grids but racing they just yellow flag follow! Backmarkers still brake hard on tricky corners when you approach fast and can't go off the racing line on most corners like they really are on tracks risking derailing. I still prefer the AI prepatching PS4 2018 but in dry weather there are only a few corners like Hungary last corner (which is nice and wide) where the AI don't understand they can still race you off the line if you get side by side there, they just disappear.. Still need work in these areas. Exiting the pits can still be a bit brutal too, you can't control the exit speed from the pit lane so if an AI is just a little ahead or beside you they sometimes still fly into you forcing themselves on the racing line meaning you have nowhere to go but into them, thankfully that is rare with the more unique pitting even on 50% and 25% races but really annoying when it does.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

I didn’t say that, and don’t think it for a second.

I do absolutely believe though that the are a big improvement this year, and i get really frustrated when i see people moaning about an improvement because they still want to drive like demolition derby and expect the AI to jump out of their way!

If you are struggling, maybe turn the AI level down a bit, and pick your spots for overtakes more carefully, like real F1 drivers have to. You don’t need to sling it up the inside at every corner then blame the AI for the inevitable contact.

You also have the option to turn damage down or off if you really do just want to drive like that.

90% is about right for me. The tracks are unbalanced so some I'm slow but some are easy poles so I figure it balances itself out. I dont use flashbacks and only assist is medium traction and that's enjoyable for me. If I turn the difficulty down it will be too easy. 

I just find it unrealistic the way the AI turn in on you even when you are ahead and have the inside line. It used to be silly in the old games when they jumped out the way but for me they've gone too far the other way. It's not career breaking but it is bit annoying. I've started to only overtake if I can get way ahead so that when they turn in they only damage themselves but then the game gives me warnings.

Dont get me wrong I think the AI defend alot better in this game but its unrealistic when you watch the replay and they turn in on you every single time.

Edited by 1henryw

I think it's totally fine to program the AI not to concede their own space. But it's entirely another thing when they're turning into YOUR space because you're arbitrarily behind them. (When you're really side by side.)

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

But it’s not your space if you’ve just divebombed from miles back up the inside!

No real driver would behave like this and not expect contact, so why do we want to.

I’ll say again, in my experience, if you’ve made a clean pass, and you’re ahead at the turn in point, they will not turn into you. If you’re speculating and don’t quite make it to this point, it’s up to you to realise this and back out.

Also, if there is one that’s really hard to call and the AI turn in (doesn’t happen much in my experience, but let’s just say) then just view it as a racing incident. It happens in real life, and we’ve all said we want the AI to make more mistakes, and if this happens we could be at least partly at fault (at least we could have avoided the incident by being more careful). So just accept the odd one as racing.

Surely it’s not all about pass everyone at all costs and win all the time? If it is, like i said, just turn the damage off and AI down and have your fun.

The AI are brilliant in this game at having a good race, it’s probably the single best thing about the game compared to other racing games, and this year they have got better by not just giving you space when it’s not earnt.

Most of my contact with the AI is them coming from behind and driving into my back, almost always spinning me out. Not in a braking zone. On the throttle.

Not only is that unrealistic it's also annoying as hell. Been that way for years in these games.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, RaceMyZaru said:

Most of my contact with the AI is them coming from behind and driving into my back, almost always spinning me out. Not in a braking zone. On the throttle.

Not only is that unrealistic it's also annoying as hell. Been that way for years in these games.

That’s interesting... i’ve played all of the CM F1 games (2010 onwards) on PS3 & PS4. I have played them all a lot, like 100’s of hours each (almost all offline in career), and i have literally never, ever experienced this once.

On 10/16/2019 at 11:17 AM, kalamazoo123 said:

That's the problem. The racing line isn't dictated by the moment the car in front brakes, otherwise anyone could brake check like an idiot (cough Hamilton cough) and get away with everything. Right now, that's exactly what's happening - if you don't have your car even just a pixel alongside theirs when they brake, they will pretend that you don't exist until they've fully completed the corner, which is utterly wrong. It especially affects those who drive cars that are good under braking but don't have a high top speed (Red Bull), but it generally hurts everyone to some extent because unlike the player, the AI has no engine wear and thus always runs perfect engines in career mode, giving them more straight line speed than you. It also goes without saying that the higher the difficulty, the bigger the problem is, as not only does the AI have the innate gamepad TC, medium ABS and much higher energy harvesting rates according to the telemetry, but they also outright have more power and therefore more straight line speed on the 100%+ difficulties.

The AI basically only knows how to race itself. This is why it always forms conga lines, especially in the rain, as it never makes risky moves unless the usual script triggers, which is pure RNG. It's also a big reason why Red Bull always sucks for the AI in this game.

2 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

But it’s not your space if you’ve just divebombed from miles back up the inside!

This is exactly where you're wrong. It sounds like you're too used to overly safe racing. Are you racing on an overly low difficulty?

1 hour ago, kalamazoo123 said:

That’s interesting... i’ve played all of the CM F1 games (2010 onwards) on PS3 & PS4. I have played them all a lot, like 100’s of hours each (almost all offline in career), and i have literally never, ever experienced this once.

I did have that happen to me a few times, but only when playing in MP with a couple of friends, when the AI made a scripted mistake, or when I had a stutter or a frame drop. Generally the AI has major problems if it has to deal with things like lag or high CPU usage, the latter problem being hugely exacerbated on PC because of Denuvo.

Edited by Coffer
  • Agree 1

Coffer is spot on here. The AI makes their decision on how to take the corner at their braking point when they should make it at turn in. 

I'm seeing a large misunderstanding on the generally accepted rules of racing, you do not need to be ahead at turn in to have earnt a route through the corner, it is usually (and by that I mean for as long as I've been alive) been half way alongside at turn in. 

There is no decision made on whether it is safe or advisable to turn in at breaking by a real driver, that's why divebomb overtakes are possible.

I don't know when divebomb got such a negative connotation, almost all of the most exciting overtakes in F1 history were late braking moves that most would call "divebombs". It's a real shame these aren't possible in F1 2019.

Edited by Meepnaf54

I don't agree with these last couple of posts.

It’s frustrating people asking for change about an element of the game that I believe is spot on but we all have different opinions and thats fine.

I’ve said what I believe and i stand by it. I have no interest in getting into an argument on a game forum so i’ll leave it there. 👍

5 hours ago, RaceMyZaru said:

That is why I play with a low level of car damage and not at the simulation level, because the moron AI does not look where it goes. Totally. I have to watch where those morons are behind me and take into account that they will hit me on their racing line. They often don't see me. As you write, frequent bumps from the back without braking, even on a straight line. And the braking line is even worse. They are blind as moles. This behavior ruined many of my races. I don't have F1 2019, but it works the same in F1 2018.

4 hours ago, Meepnaf54 said:

Coffer is spot on here. The AI makes their decision on how to take the corner at their braking point when they should make it at turn in. 

I'm seeing a large misunderstanding on the generally accepted rules of racing, you do not need to be ahead at turn in to have earnt a route through the corner, it is usually (and by that I mean for as long as I've been alive) been half way alongside at turn in. 

There is no decision made on whether it is safe or advisable to turn in at breaking by a real driver, that's why divebomb overtakes are possible.

I don't know when divebomb got such a negative connotation, almost all of the most exciting overtakes in F1 history were late braking moves that most would call "divebombs". It's a real shame these aren't possible in F1 2019.

That last paragraph exactly! Just one example Verstappens pass on LeClerc at Austria this season which basically won him the race was practically a dive bomb in game terms. Leclerc had to yield or collide. The ai in the game would have collided. 

10 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

You don't even have to do it from miles back. You can do it from inches back and it's the same result. The devs in fixing an exploit have created AI behavior (or rather non behavior?) that causes a ton of crashes.

Also there's a pretty good argument that if there's a gap to put your car in it's your space now as the opposing car now can't place their car there without hitting you.

• Agree 1