DiRT and DiRT 2 mods!

Hey all, just thought I'd post my Colin McRae DiRT and DiRT 2 mods here in case anyone is interested!

I've also got them listed over on the Race Department forums

My Colin McRae DiRT mod includes;

-No Bloom mod (removes Vaseline effect)

-Draw Distance Mod (improves LOD distance significantly)

-SimLite Mod (a small physics change to make the game more challenging, only recommended for solo)

My DiRT 2 mod is just for Bloom removal

Here is a quick video of the OG DiRT with my mods in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfO0L8osMMc

Ben-Rogues DiRT Mods v1.08.zip

Ben-Rogues DiRT 2 No Bloom v1.00.zip

Comparison shots for DiRT 2

Before:

1a.png

After:

1b.png

Ben-Rogues DiRT 2 No Bloom v1.00.zip <- IGNORE THIS ONE! I can't seem to remove this old version

Edited by BenRogue
Added images
  • Like 4

Wow, that looks so much better. Also that stage looks pretty cool, though wide/featureless in comparison to DR2 stages.

• Like 1

Yeah that looks nice—I never did like the overly-filtered hazy look of earlier DiRT games. I don't mind a little bloom in the right places, since that's how bright lights look like IRL, but in those games it was way overdone.

Edited by caerphoto
  • Agree 1

damn, Dirt and D2 are the only ones I can't get to work on my PC anymore, so I bought D2 for PS3 literally a week ago 😞

here's a couple more screens from the racedepartment page. looks much better imo

2a.png2b.png

Edited by ianism
  • Like 1

That's unfortunate as they're my favourite DiRT games, hence why I put literally dozens of hours into the DiRT mods

Looks like the same amount of change we pay for DR2 DLC (old DR1 content) not a whole lot more changes.

On 11/2/2019 at 7:15 AM, gfRally said:

Looks like the same amount of change we pay for DR2 DLC (old DR1 content) not a whole lot more changes.

ummm the physics. and they are the most important thing, no?

(I also disagree about the amount of change from DR1 to 2)

On 10/17/2019 at 6:42 PM, BenRogue said:

That's unfortunate as they're my favourite DiRT games, hence why I put literally dozens of hours into the DiRT mods

BenRogue I cannot thank you enough for these mods. They have brought back a lot more life and playability for me. Do you have any other mods in mind for the games?

Again thanks a lot.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments staffeyx, I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately there's not a lot else I can do, as I'm not skilled enough to replace assets, textures or make advanced physics tweaks. My goal was to bring out the 'inner beauty' from DiRT 1 and that also happened to be applicable to DiRT 2. My SimLite mod for DiRT 1 is the best I could do with what I could figure out from trolling trough the games XML files. The mod also allowed me to bundle in a few fixes to get the game to work on newer hardware and OS's, which might have been roadblocks for some. I tried to modify the wheel compatibility list with the config for my T300, but the game simply would not recognise it. Apparently it can be done for DiRT 2 though, but i couldn't get it to work

I was going to make a similar set of mods for the 2008 version of GRiD, but the games files have some encoding similar to DiRT 2 that I can't figure out. You can remove the Bloom from GRiD and run it in much higher resolutions than the built in limit, with a few straightforward XML tweaks though. If you're interested in that, I could provide the steps needed? I couldn't justify making  a'mod' for it just that though, as it's just a couple of minor XML tweaks

Edited by BenRogue
  • Like 1

@BenRogue

From your XML: 

"If you experience issues with this not working with Steam, you may need to download a No-Steam fixed exe for DiRT 2" 

Am I going to screw up the installation of Dirt 2 ? I would rather really not downloading a pirated exe .....

TL;DR: Your game install will be fine as long as you create a back-up of the files being replaced

I included that instruction as I think DiRT 2 won't launch if there are modified game files. I'm not sure if it does block you, because I use an archived copy of the game folder, so I don't ever use the original game installation as it's easier than manually applying the mods any time I install the game,

If it's the Steam version, you can always run the Steam integrity check to re-download any edited/ modified files, so you're at no risk of breaking the game. You can manually create a back-up any files being replaced if you're unsure. The no-steam exe simply removes the steam launcher requirement and any anti-cheat protection. I use one myself so I can run mods without steam blocking me from launching the game or to stop steam from re-downloading the file because it recognises them as different from their original. It's not a 'pirated' exe, it's no different than running any other modded files. It's not giving you a free copy of the game, it's just a mod like any other

Edited by BenRogue