Jump to content Jump to content

Can we talk about FWD cars?

mojoe_x

I know there's a lot going on right now, but I feel this shouldn't be avoided.

I've talked about it on the Discord a few times but didn't think about posting it on the forums.

I believe the FWD car physics need some looking into. Maybe this leads into other areas of the engine, I'm not sure, but it's not right.

Lift off oversteer. It's non existent. It feels very strange to drive a FWD car in G19, given that every other driving game on the planet has had some form of lift off oversteer with FWD cars.

Right now, every single car behaves the same way if you have traction - understeer. Every single one. It's almost like the cars aren't modeled to have any weight bias.

I know this isn't a sim, and I'm not asking for it to be, but all the GRID games up until now I believe had at least some form of lift off oversteer for FWD cars. This is true to life as the weight bias is towards the front of the car. More weight at the front = more grip at the front, resulting in the rear end kicking out.

This may also be combined with the lack of engine braking in the game (as far as I can tell).

All you need to do to see the huge amounts of understeer in any car is get up to high speed for a long sweeping corner (first corner of Okutama GP is a good example), turn in hard and lift off the throttle without applying any brake, and see what happens. The front just wants to go straight ahead, with the rear lagging behind. Understeer. This is a characteristic of a rear weight bias - i.e. rear engine.

Now with a FWD, this shouldn't happen. The tail should immediately lose traction because of a) engine braking at the front b) lack of weight at the back. Of course, if you use throttle during a corner in FWD, you should experience understeer. That's fine.

Overall the game feels very understeer-y. I'm OK with it for the most part for most other car types. But for FWD it just feels so unnatural and wrong. It feels hard to enjoy driving FWD. Lift off oversteer is where all the fun is!

Thoughts?

I missed that as well, but I don't think you can expect such characteristics in non-sim games. Having said that, at very high speed cornering, I think there is a little oversteer when off throttle, and I think there was a little bit in GAS as well, but just a tiny bit if any. You can at least induce (quite a lot actually!) oversteer with braking though, if you put the brake bias to the rear...

Archived