ERS and Fuel management madness solution

Good day,

Forums are not really my thing but let’s make an exception, because I care. Many people seem to agree that the current system of managing ERS and Fuel is madness.

I think even before ERS was introduced, the Fuel system was a bit flawed already. You had to change that from corner to corner too, but now with ERS it’s 3x as bad.

but one should never complain without giving a solution. So I did some research on how drivers manage ERS and Fuel IRL and thought about how to best transfer that into the game.

So here’s my solution:

Fuel: Still 3 modes but mapped so that lean switches to neutral in the beginning of the straights, neutral the same but a bit of rich in the beginning of the straights and neutral for a bit longer on the straights and rich the same again but with longer rich mix down the straights. This way you won’t have to micromanage it to be quicker.

ERS: Mapped in a similar way to above neutral fuel mix. But you have an Harvest button that turns on the MGU-K generator, so you’d use it while lift&coasting. Also you have an Overtake button that engages max ERS boost and rich fuel mix.

Qualifying: Harvest and Overtake buttons are disabled, fuel modes are replaced by qualy-modes. Harvest mode, Hotlap mode and Hotlap+ mode. Hotlap+ being the “party mode” that you’d only use in Q3 or when absolutely necessary cause it wears the ICE down a lot.

Sorry for the long read. Let me know if you like this, maybe Codemasters can use it, who knows...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I only have an issue with changing weather, from dry to wet the fuel just screws up entirely! Very hard to get through a wet race distance having completed a dry R&D race strategy event without going lean the whole race.

I must say, the way the ERS and FUEL are in the game does work for me. I have the Thrustmaster F1 add on wheel and i use the rotary dials to change the ERS/FUEL mode on the fly.

I think when playing F1 with friends (F1 2018 that is), this can be very unpredictable who will win, pure base on who can manage the ERS/FUEL best.

For me personality, it should not change. But that is my opinion.

• Agree 1

I don't understand how it is an issue, sure it might be unrealistic but it's a game. The ERS and Fuel mechanics are easy for everyone to understand no matter their knowledge of F1.