Sign in to follow this  

DiRTRally 'atmosphere'

Does anyone else think that the menu system is a bit dull?  I don't really want to go back to DiRT2, but I think the overall presentation is just to minimalistic.  I like the idea of creating a mood up to getting in and driving.  If we are going back to Colin McRae Rally's roots, then take a look at the menus from Colin McRae 3:

BE PATIENT with the videos, it seems youtube doesn't want to set exact start times.  Also despite the actual frame all the videos are different. 

https://youtu.be/dRHpaPL_nTo?t=2m23s

There are a lot of details, big and small that are done here
The Promo video, showing the globe with a overview of the event.  
Certainly the service tent with all the animations of the crew working on the car looked great.  This could probably be improved with the limited movements tends to be repetitive.  

https://youtu.be/dRHpaPL_nTo?t=3m16s

Codemasters F1 games do a pretty nice job (not Battlefield or Call of Duty quality but..)

https://youtu.be/Y3J0wkoIb_g (F1 pitstop)

https://youtu.be/gVEK7NofSRU?t=16m2s (F1 returning to garage)

Then there is the Car tuning screens of CM 3:

https://youtu.be/dRHpaPL_nTo?t=3m40s

Next the start of the stage podium presentation:

https://youtu.be/dRHpaPL_nTo?t=4m18s

Then onto the stage start control, this is really cool, you see cars pull out in front of you, then official walks to your car for some words.

https://youtu.be/dRHpaPL_nTo?t=5m13s

There really isn't much in CM 3 for the stage end, no drive through or timing control checkins but at least there is a good effort for the other parts.

Also the stage loading screens show some sort of transit stages between the actual rally stages.  To me this puts it all together, you are not just jumping from 'stage to stage' type of situation, but each is part of the overall event and is connected.  Besides it is a little bit of a distraction to the spinning 'loading' spinning circle.  

Probably the F1 team has more of a budget to work from and DiRTRally is a much smaller team, so resources are limited to the non-esentials that they can do.  I just feel these are almost as much a part of rally as the actual driving graphics are, its all apart of the atmosphere that is associated when you attend/work at a rally.

Probably all part of the sim feel they're trying to cultivate this time. For better or for worse, sim racers tend to want functional menus rather than snazzy ones.

Totally agree, it doesn't need to be 'snazzy' but reflect the hay day of rallying. Think Network Q rally games...too old for some?!

I think the menu is fine personally because it seems more serious unlike Dirt 3.  But I do like Dirt 3 better than Dirt2 Menu's by far.  I just want to get in and freaking play the game.  But if they introduced a menu like WRC 4 where you actually have real footage of rallying in the background and show crashes and such I would be all in for that!!! that would make me feel pumped to play!

I wish the background environment would be representative of the rally stage one is currently in. I was doing the Wales rally and the background was just cycling through some pre-sets, which included Greece.

I miss that stuff to, maybe it will come in the future if people want it but now the most important thing was to focus on the driving and less about the fluff we might have paid more attention to in the past :)

I miss that stuff to, maybe it will come in the future if people want it but now the most important thing was to focus on the driving and less about the fluff we might have paid more attention to in the past :)
Keep the ship headed in it's current direction.

The menus are functional and easily navigated.

I think your resources would be better spent in other areas (online multiplayer/content) as opposed to flashy menus.

This game could be the foundation of a classic that it played for well into the next decade.

Appealing to the masses is the downfall of modem game developers.  When did niche become such a bad thing?  Oh yes, it's called overhead.  Is the balance that hard to achieve?   Why can't the masses have their own simplified over assisted hand holding difficulty, while the game still maintains it's simulator roots.  They will drive your early sales, we will sustain your longevity.  But if the game is to focused on flash, we won't be around after the hype either.

I'll leave with a true but cliche quote:
Insanity is the act of doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.

Good luck Codies, awesome start on this one.

Service area with working mechanics is a must have.

I write in another thread that you should give us the same as in CMR 3. That would be awesome with the noise of the mechanikers.

Another problem is that difficult to check the final results for modders like me. Now have to start an Event play on it and have to watch replays. Annoying.

With the service area animation everbody shold check the new liverios, whichaalso not available in the menu where 2D pixel graphics is the only way to present a car.

CMR 2  did it better.

Please guys, give use that service area back!

I personally have no interest in menu animations or background video. If they are included fine but I want to get to the fun, which is playing the game. Function over visuals in menu design as the visuals only give a false impression of a good game to people who don't know better. Nobody sits down and goes through a games menus and thinks, you know what? I think I'll just keep playing the menus cos they look cool!

I don't know what it's like outside of North America, but if you go to a restaurant that has the best dinner in the world but the inside painted white and the keep the temperature at 40F degrees it just doesnt work. that was my point giving it some color I guess

Anyhow this all really doesn't matter if it's not going to happen, I'm fine with that, it was just some ideas that I had.  I thought I would post to see what others thought.

Im just glad we have something to play, and a great game it is!

As someone who works in interface design and user experience, I really like the menus themselves. They are straight forward, simple and classy. I had no issues finding everything I was looking for. It did take a little while to figure out the "quick nav" at the top, but that's just kind of an extra feature IMO.

I get the OP's point though ... you wouldn't need to change the actual menu structure or functionality to liven it up some. I actually really liked the transitions between menus in Dirt 3, but it would be a little flashy for a sim title. I honestly felt that Dirt 2 menus were a bit over the top with the whole car park thing. But, I think keeping the simple and structured menus that you have and adding maybe some slow motion footage to keep things interesting would be a nice touch.

I really appreciate that the team is taking a function over form approach to the game. That's needed for a serious sim. But, the menus don't have to be dull. Sure, most sims have very basic menus ... but sims also aren't mainstream titles and people don't buy them for the menus. That doesn't mean the others are doing it "right." I think that the super simple menu format of most sims does more to push potential players away as it artificially dates the title.

On that note, however, the menus don't bother me as all. Maybe I'm just focused too much on the content of the game and the upcoming stage to care about the same image in the background.

I must say I find the menus really functional and very pretty, and as the poster above says it's a style that won't age quickly. I find it easy to navigate and find my way around and the atmosphere for the menu is really well done with the sounds.

Menus are simple and looking good it's not a question.

But, at least a showroom should add to the game, where you can check your car, you could make screenshots to share your new liveries with your social friends etc.

pCARS, Assetto Corsa,rFactor, even  Real Racing has got a showroom.

Maybe we could get something in the background like everywhere else in the menus but show a service tent or whatever maybe noises? To separate that you are in the service area?  Just photos or video  something maybe that doesn't take a lot of work?  

Sorry i I get stuck on some little details at times.   

Please understand im not debating right or wrong, just presenting some ideas.  

Personally I like the minimal feel of this game, 
I'm not a fan of the cut scene stuff behind the menu's and as loading screens etc, to me I'd say that's a lot of time wasted because it adds nothing to the most important part of a Rally or Racing game and that's the actually Rally or Racing.

I like the simplicity of the current menus. They allow for easy, fast navigation though the settings and game features... Allowing custom mapping for all buttons would be a nice future feature.

Corsa997 said:
Appealing to the masses is the downfall of modem game developers.  When did niche become such a bad thing?  Oh yes, it's called overhead.  Is the balance that hard to achieve?   Why can't the masses have their own simplified over assisted hand holding difficulty, while the game still maintains it's simulator roots.

Perhaps the masses don't want their own simplified over assisted hand holding difficulty. Maybe they'd prefer to drive without assists but have the ability to choose their own difficulty level, set it even lower if they so choose, use flashbacks or easily restart/quit events. There is no reason why these players cannot be accommodated with no detriment to the enjoyment of the game as it currently stands.

Lets face it, the expectations of Codies titles are high, they are expected to sell well and this will have to succeed on the consoles at some point. The game could easily be made more accessible to meet the needs of the regular gamer.