DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... √ó
Sign in to follow this  

You know what would've helped mitigate the simplicity and lack of content of the career mode?

A story. CM spent all that money on Alonso when in all honesty they already had good characters they could've built on, even just through their presence in the past games.

Remember how simple TOCA Race Driver 2's progression system was? It was still bearable because the player character's charge in the Shark Team Challenge motivated you to keep going, even when the game got weird. You'd straight up feel the same sort of weirdness everyone around your character felt when doing all those weird races mandated by the Challenge, only to have that weirdness replaced with hype upon getting the chance to eliminate one of the best contenders by forcing them into a 1v1 in conditions they were deeply uncomfortable with (ice!). You rarely ever needed to win, you just needed to survive, which usually meant staying within touching distance of Cesar and Stellan, solidifying them as actual threats, something you rarely get with anyone in the new GRID until you get to the world series. Cesar turning out to be a good guy? Stellan literally threatening to kill you in the final showdown for the F1 seat? Cheesy, yet memorable, and memorability is something that the new game sorely lacks.

We don't even have to limit ourselves. The original TOCA Race Driver game gave you a lot more options, options that were nicely intertwined with the story of our favorite old McKane. From losing your father to seeing your brother be injured by the same guy, to finally having to take him down in the LMGTS championship despite his Viper having a 100kph advantage over your measly Supra, you're compelled to follow his cheesy story all the way through, and it's not like the gameplay is in any way hurt by the addition of these story elements.

Something like this might be niche and not really in demand, but would it, in any way, have cost the development team any more than bringing Alonso in did? People obviously know Alonso, but you already know what GRID fans know, remember and love: Ravenwest. There would've been plenty of room to add something substantial pertaining to them in this game. To give a few examples:

• Autosport and its aftermath: Who won the final championship in the end? Did Leo Garnier leave of his own volition or was he kicked? Harrison Carter being confirmed as the player character in Autosport would've gone a long way towards explaining why he suddenly became Ravenwest's #2 driver following McKane's apparent retirement from racing.
  • Nathan McKane and Rick Scott: Autosport comes painfully close to overtly confirming that the two of them are the protagonists of TOCA Race Driver 1 and 2 respectively. "Getting out in front and vigorously defending his lead"? Suspiciously similar to the biggest exploit in the first game: the player always getting a much better start than the AI, and the AI always struggling to overtake if you just constantly blocked their path. That game's protagonist just so happens to be Ryan McKane, and justifying a name retcon wouldn't be difficult. The same goes for Rick Scott, who is both an open-wheel champion (in line with the single season of F1 you can do with the Shark Team after beating the final boss) and a drift expert (in line with both the weird challenges from 2 and the Shibuya boss fight in the old GRID), things that are also hinted at in his Autosport description. In fact, the Shark Team is actually present as one of the teams in the old GRID. Why not build on their characters a bit more by confirming their involvement in the past games and featuring them in cutscenes? We even know what Nathan is supposed to look like, courtesy of Ryan.
  • Other characters: Sergio Alvarez, the demonic world record beating AI from Dirt 4, is present in this game... and he's terrible. Why? Even just a simple description of his past achievements would've sufficed. And don't get me started on the characters from GRID 2 that didn't make the cut, like Bruno Silva, despite others having miniboss, boss or even (undeserved) final boss status.

I get the feeling that I would be far from the only one who would've been interested in something like this. Perhaps even as a prequel to the original GRID, explaining the creation of Ravenwest and how Nathan McKane and Rick Scott came to be partners. If nothing else, it would've been a lot better than what we ended up getting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Hi, finally I saw that I am not the only that want a most involving career mode in this new Grid or (I hope) for next releases of the series.

I've already post something in this topic that Codemasters created in this section (you can check it out here at page 2)

Also, ChrisGroves (from Codemasters) give me a like on my suggestions, maybe you will agree and you can extend your opinion that I saw on your post here in your topic.ūüĎć

Edited by LpMatt

1 hour ago, Coffer said:

prequel to the original GRID, explaining the creation of Ravenwest and how Nathan McKane and Rick Scott came to be partners

OMG looks like one of the best story based games! :classic_laugh:

MCU: I'm the best universe in the world!
Codies: hold my beer!

• Haha 2

Fernando Alonso...ūü§Ē¬† Oh the guy¬†who cried and moaned a lot about how **** his car and team were in F1, when he couldn't win any thing.¬† Then retired when no other teams wanted him.¬†¬†

Not really sure what CM thought this guy was going to bring to the game.  As an AI he's rubbish. He just gets in the way, but he is usually on hand to help out getting round the 1st turn. So that's a plus.  I doubt he's any good at the game.  Most likely rage quits because of the stupid AI.  

But if they paid him any serious amount of money, it was wasted.  

I agree that the career mode is just a collection of race events, with no story at all.  If they insist on having a career mode at least do it properly.  If they want a massively successful game, concentrate on the online part.  Its not a single player mode that has people itching to get out of work and get home and play.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ThatsJustFlukey said:

I doubt he's any good at the game.

I don't disagree with any of the rest, but he is actually a console gamer and has been for a long time. Quite some remarkable titles under his belt actually, given that he's also a weeb and a big fan of the Tales series. I fully expect him to be at least decent at a game like this, but I don't expect him to have any interest in playing it in his spare time because... it's just not that good.

At least I can humiliate him in the best way possible.

DPVyFIu.png

Edited by Coffer
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Coffer said:

I don't disagree with any of the rest, but he is actually a console gamer and has been for a long time. Quite some remarkable titles under his belt actually, given that he's also a weeb and a big fan of the Tales series. I fully expect him to be at least decent at a game like this, but I don't expect him to have any interest in playing it in his spare time because... it's just not that good.

At least I can humiliate him in the best way possible.

DPVyFIu.png

LMAO, I didn't know that.¬† I wonder if he plays F1 and retires before the 3rd corner just for the added immersion and realism it would bring. ūü§£

• Haha 2
  • Disagree 1

To be honest, all I wanted from a Grid game was a good story in the career mode. Well....and a decent racing game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I must admit i did the story mode in the last few years in fifa.   And although you had to make all these tough choices that would shape how your career progress they had no actual relevance  to the outcome.  Every choice you took ended in the same place. Except a different cutscene.  Didnt matter how well you played or not.  At the end off the story.   You had earned the same cash, got the same sponsor deals.  The same skill rating, and have the same rivalry and friends.   All the choices you make that are different are things like sacking your agent and making your dad your agent.   The result different cutscene.   Only choice you Make is when  the big clubs buy you is which European league to play in.   I have a mental condition that compels me. To play games that give you or appear to give different outcomes over and over until ive done it every which way.   Ea obviously only banked on sane people who play through the story once.

That said the story i really enjoyed. Was a good story.  And as it was a story line where you played the main character rather than norm of you being the character. The writers could the story good depth and you find yourself starting to care what happens. Like in any good film or book.

Just annoyed, and angry ea tell you all these choices your given determine his future.

Gaming industry/developers as a whole though.  Think nothing off the end user except how to exploit for maximum profit.

Point im making is a proper career mode and attaching storyline where your choices successes and faliures actually make a real difference.   Would be a brilliant inclusion.  But that wont happen because it means spending alot off cash writing and coding every possible outcome.     And the gaming industry is only interested in in milking the enduser for every thing they can.  So the only spend enough on the story so they have just enough to use it to sell more games.  Im not a coder.  Im just a gamer.  But ive been a avid gamer from before atari.   Theres hardly a game ive played esp story based games where im not asking myself. Why they didnt include things to give more choice and possible outcomes.   Call of duty for instance every year the same storyline and objectives. To complete it you only have to get to the preset checkpoints and you get unlimited goes.  Ive got some great ideas on opening up the campaign mode to make the story fluid.   But they are the bestseller every year so why spend more expanding  the campaign experience when all they have to do every year is tell the same story in a different timeline. Look at last black ops.  Didnt even include campaign because less thaan half of people who buy black op finish the campaign. What they should have done. Is looked at how to develop a campaign mode that gives real options with every outcome unclear.   At the end off every campaign it finishes with you defeating  the bad guy. Black ops 2 attempted something different but by playing one off the tactical maps it was more after thought.   I hoped  and believed if the put real effort into developing the direction bo2 took.   They could have developed a fresh way whilst still keeping faithful to cods dna.

Sorry i have gone on about other games.   But gaming journalists are increasingly commenting that the gaming industry has run out off idea . So much so this year some devs have released remakes off 90s games.   This trillion dollar industry is now run by bean counters whos primary goal is making money for shareholders.  Developers whos brains skills and passion for making games we want. Have either been seduced by the money and soldout.  Or they now have to answer to a board who have been put their by the shareholders who only care about making more money.  And dont  even like or care about games.

You only have to look and see anything fresh or different  is comming from indie devs but with tiny budgets its almost  impossible to release a game as polished and advertisement from the big boys. 

• Agree 1

I agree with all you say.   I think if there are going to include campaign modes at least make it a story.  Different choices with different outcomes would be better.   However I personally avoid the whole singleplayer thing unless my internet is down.  I just a straight into multiplayer kinda guy. 

Hi ,as a league owner on many sims I bought this game hoping it would be a causal sim for me to race in story mode,

but boy o boy was I in for huge mistake,

a small part of game namely brands hatch with gte cars looks great in rain but sadly after that utter complete boredom,

only 12 tracks is not good enough,

some tracks you can't even see the apex,

some cars in car view are terrible,

standand ps4 30fps , pro ps4 60 fps and press release says all versions are 60fps,

game starts with great story and bang that's it ,10 minutes worth,

not enough cars or tracks,

ps3 version of grid auto sport is far better and sorry to say you've worked on the ps4 grid game for 2 years, what have you actually worked on, because its almost identical to PS3 version with less in then PS3 version,

my biggest regret buying this game, it kept me entertained for 4 days ,I could go on but it's pointless,

sorry codemasters potentially this could have been a great game for causal sim and arcade player but not enough content,

pits like a game you got on the ps1 in a magazine,just a part of the full game,

you're on the right track with dirt rally 2.0 you've completely turned that game around to make it better now ,(now) then dirt rally 1.0 ,

i hate wasting hard earned money on a game that is half finished,,without a story mode and lack of tracks and cars the game will be consigned to shelves collecting dust, 

at the moment £50 of game regret, please turn this grid around into a great game, you did it with dirt rally 2.0,

again f12019 had amazing graphics and ffb on wheel was great on dayone release, as each patch came out it got worse,

land we weren't told monthly car performance updates to reflect the real f1 , 

all the best and hopefully you'll turn grid into a great game ,

The other day I made a video showcasing what the game would've felt like with even just the music and voice lines from the original GRID. I feel like it strongly justifies many of my arguments as even small touches like these make the game feel significantly more memorable, but then given who seems to be in charge of the GRID project I'm not at all surprised that the game doesn't even have this much.

Edited by Coffer