Sign in to follow this  

R&D in career help

Hi

Should I only be doing my R&D in P1 and not save any for P2 or P3?

I am doing 100% now after moving up from 50% career mode so I get more practice on the track. Before I would fit everything in P1 then use P2&P3 for repeating the same test again. So I would see all points for all test done.

Now in 100% I have more time so I spread the test out across each practice. Now I always run each test using both tyres to see how I cope with both and how I would do with med in Q2.(that's another issue with the game you can't compare each test for each practice & tyre in the car computer)

Now today at Spa I did Q1 doing all test but Q run and in Q2 I did all test again including Q. At the end I don't see my Q points appear 🤔.

Is that a bug? or is it because I did good in P1 the system didn't award me points for the Q test I did in P2?

Pretty much you can do them whenever you like but I tend to spread them out. I tend to do the track and maybe the tyre tests in FP1 Quali and race pace in FP2 everything else in 3. If It rains then yes I do tend to change it. But I do tend to always no matter what try to squeeze in the quali and race pace ones due to those being my strongest and I pretty much always pass those with flying colours which means I'll always be picking up a reasonable amount of points for upgrades.

Check this post of mine out here:  

https://www.reddit.com/r/F1Game/comments/dg54c9/should_i_up_my_ai/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Look for the post by jrod22145.  It has how I set my ai difficulty but more importantly to you, it has my general run plan near the bottom.  This should help you a little.  Keep in mind though anything over 10 laps per session doesn’t award you anymore R&D points so those laps are only good for more practice.  I wish they’d lengthen the practice programs or let you choose how many laps you’d like to do.  It seems like IRL they do 20-30 laps per session without any setbacks.  It would be nice to do the same in a 100% distance career.

• Like 1

in real life.. teams use FP1 to dial the basic setup in.. 

the 1st R&D is (probably still is) sight laps ..where you make sure you are hitting the right apexes (apexses? apexi?) at roughly the correct speeds.

2nd one is (I believe) the tyre wear test.. make sure you are not slipping and sliding a lot or over spinning them (its to make sure you aren't overheating them).

3rd one is ERS test ..  they know all this from sims anyway so nfi why they would do this... its really so u can practice dropping it to 1 or 0 on the end of straights and get the most out of charging.

4th is fuel test..(or maybe its 3rd and ers is 4th)  more practice short shifting (or using 1 gear higher than normal for a corner) and coasting 50m before you would normally break for a corner.  again the teams already know most of this info from sims.

in game to get the most out of things ....do r&d one, tweak setup ... have another run on same tyres. happy move to do 2 3 and 4. Do them all on the same set of tyres (set for that program).  (select it in the little menu that appears when you choose to do a R&D thing.  saves you wasting tyres.

FP2 in real life is when they do a "qual run sim" or "low fuel run". to make sure the setup works at lower fuels.

FP3 in real life is a combo of race pace run ....where they run heavy fuel and they don't use DRS in the drs zones... and just general warming up for the incoming qualify.

they don't use DRS in race pace runs because...they generally don't get to spend a lot of the race using DRS.

do with that knowledge what you will.  the real life counterparts will do (most of) the qual and race pace programs on both (or all 3) sets of tyres..

Edited by Icecream76
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Icecream76 said:

in real life.. teams use FP1 to dial the basic setup in.. 

the 1st R&D is (probably still is) sight laps ..where you make sure you are hitting the right apexes (apexses? apexi?) at roughly the correct speeds.

2nd one is (I believe) the tyre wear test.. make sure you are not slipping and sliding a lot or over spinning them (its to make sure you aren't overheating them).

3rd one is ERS test ..  they know all this from sims anyway so nfi why they would do this... its really so u can practice dropping it to 1 or 0 on the end of straights and get the most out of charging.

4th is fuel test..(or maybe its 3rd and ers is 4th)  more practice short shifting (or using 1 gear higher than normal for a corner) and coasting 50m before you would normally break for a corner.  again the teams already know most of this info from sims.

in game to get the most out of things ....do r&d one, tweak setup ... have another run on same tyres. happy move to do 2 3 and 4. Do them all on the same set of tyres (set for that program).  (select it in the little menu that appears when you choose to do a R&D thing.  saves you wasting tyres.

FP2 in real life is when they do a "qual run sim" or "low fuel run". to make sure the setup works at lower fuels.

FP3 in real life is a combo of race pace run ....where they run heavy fuel and they don't use DRS in the drs zones... and just general warming up for the incoming qualify.

they don't use DRS in race pace runs because...they generally don't get to spend a lot of the race using DRS.

do with that knowledge what you will.  the real life counterparts will do (most of) the qual and race pace programs on both (or all 3) sets of tyres..

Sounds a bit like what I do but I try and do a long run near the end of each practice. The 10lap thing I sure I saw that before but didn't take notice, I read t and see. With DRS I try not to use it in all practice besides race Q or if I am close behind a car like in racing. Than I would use it to try over take.

Edited by Hygradeb

7 hours ago, jrod22145 said:

Check this post of mine out here:  

https://www.reddit.com/r/F1Game/comments/dg54c9/should_i_up_my_ai/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Look for the post by jrod22145.  It has how I set my ai difficulty but more importantly to you, it has my general run plan near the bottom.  This should help you a little.  Keep in mind though anything over 10 laps per session doesn’t award you anymore R&D points so those laps are only good for more practice.  I wish they’d lengthen the practice programs or let you choose how many laps you’d like to do.  It seems like IRL they do 20-30 laps per session without any setbacks.  It would be nice to do the same in a 100% distance career.

The 10lap thing I sure I saw that before but didn't take notice, I read and see. Once I done the practice test, I do long runs and just try get to better.

AI setup I got that sorted I give the AI normally a few tenths so it's not easy to beat. This is a different way to set them up and I'll give it a try ... In fact I test what I done to see how close or far I am.

Looks ok but I rather run each test on different tyres. 

Edited by Hygradeb

I would like to post my Practice routines to you.

I play F1 with 100% length, all sessions, most of reality possible as I can.

P1, load setup, hard tires, make an installation lap and return to pits.

- go to tire management program, with recommended tire, usually medium and usually beat the target in one lap. Return to pit with mix 1 and ers 1 or 0, to save more energy.

- go to fuel management program, with same set of tires that ran the tire program, try to beat in one lap, some times two or three laps to pass. Return to pit with mix 1 and ers 1 or 0, to save more energy.

- go to ERS management program, with same set of tires of previous program, usually beat the time on first lap. Return to pit with mix 1 and ers 1 or 0, to save more energy.

- go to acclimatization program, with same set of tires of previous program. make three laps and return to pit with mix 1 and ers 1 or 0, to save more energy.

- go to setup screen and change tires to soft., fuel load at 10kg and make some hotlaps to test setup. Return to pit with mix 1 and ers 1 or 0, to save more energy.

all remaining time dedicated to fine tune in the setup. At the end P1, soft and medium tire will be missed.

On P2, load setup, hard tires, make an installation lap and return to pits.

- go to race program, with hard tires, make all lap with no DRS. Return to pit with mix 1 and ers 1 or 0, to save more energy.

- go to race program, with medium tires, make all lap with no DRS. Return to pit with mix 1 and ers 1 or 0, to save more energy.

- go to race program, with soft tires, make all lap with no DRS. Return to pit with mix 1 and ers 1 or 0, to save more energy.

in these race program, some laps will be slow than target time... but will be valid to race strategy.

On remaining time dedicated to run several laps at full fuel load to check handling of car with very weight and tires very used, at this point we have three compounds used, two of them will be missed in another session.

On FP3 will remain one set of tire new and will be use in qualifying program, and on remaining time to check something and etc..

This is may practice routine in all weekends, some times, goes bad, like a crashes, mistakes. I don`t use flash back or restart session. Like I said, try to make real as I can. Is my way to play.

• Like 1

Nice testing plan, one thing I didn't mention I tend to use mix 1 throughout all of P1 unless the test is locked into a setting.

Another I started trying is changing the order of my test In P2 & P3, I some times do R & Q early depending on weather on the day & how the weather for weekend looks.

Like @Icecream76 I don't use drs in P1 unless it's in the test, because in real life it's low power engine mode in P1, plus this gives me a base feel of the car and I guessing CM is doing it correctly 🤣😂🤣🤣🤣😂😅🧐.

I may see which ideas have been posted that can improve my testing.

Two thing CM should do:

change the starting fuel level in the default cars to 10kg which I use for my low fuel run.

The reason none of CM test run with that amount off fuel, the AI always do short runs. I will double check but can't remember seeing AI do like 20 laps straight run.

Actually add a heavy fuel long run test with the expected time loss due to tyre wear during the test.