Sign in to follow this  

Split-time display in center of screen is highly distracting!

Dear Codemasters,

Having the split-times get displayed in the center of the screen can be very distracting as it blocks my view of the road ahead! I play with the "close 3rd person" camera view; maybe it's less critical with other camera views.

I'd much rather have the split-times shown somewhere near the time in the top-right position.

Otherwise I'm having a blast with Dirt Rally! I'm really glad you took a step back from the Ken Block Gymkhana crap and went back to making a real rally driving game / sim!

I have a feeling you won't get a whole lot of feedback on this comment because most people are playing in car cam or bumper cam for the more realistic effects. Although I could see it being advantageous on some shakedown runs to see exactly where your car is placed on the road.

I turned off everything in the heads up display except the speedometer gear indicator. I found that it was all too distracting. Additionally I'm pretty sure split times don't appear in front of drivers while they're driving and neither do co-driver notes, but it's a nice helper for people that want it. I'm always driving as hard and fast as I can, so my split times are irrelevant until I get done and see where I placed. However I could see if you were a half second off the leader it would force you to push a little harder. Or if you had a two second lead you could lighten up a bit to avoid chance of wrecking.

Have to say, i have the same feeling as CmdrCody :)
they get in my way as well, it would be better if we could choose their position, or disable them.

A simple solution is turning them off. I drive with all my HUD disabled because I don't feel like being distracted by stuff while driving.

That's not a solution for people who obviously want to leave the OSD in place.
Giving something up to try and work around a problem isn't actually fixing anything, its just compromising.

Usually it's ok, but it can be a really big problem on up-hill parts, especially Pikes Peak.
It would be nice if we could just remove that pop-up alone, but unfortunately it's linked to the timers option, which removes a lot of other stuff if disabled.

(As an avgeek, I still hate the way 'HUD' has been misappropriated in gaming, then carried on into other media. Few things make me want to smash my face in more than reading something like "Helmet mounted HUD")

I subscribe to this too. I play with chase cam and sometimes when going down or up-hill it blocks the view. Otherwise, as for being distracting, most of the time I ignore it altogether and focus on the road.

Moving it a little bit up or just below the timer would be nice.

A Solution would be to have seperate toggles for timers and splits. Currently they're both under timers. I could do without the splits, but do like to peak at the time from time to time (pun intended)

I agree as well.
I've had to turn it off. I only drive with the speed and gear indicators now.
It would be nice if there were placement options for it. (top left , top right, bottom left ....)
Centre of screen would not be an option chosen by many.

This split timer pop up just before corner and I could not see anything from that corner. That didn't help that my lights were gone and it was night, so bright split time screen right middle of dark screen....  

With timer removed from hud, It also remove all lap info, position and joker markers from rally cross. :( 

BrySkye said:
(As an avgeek, I still hate the way 'HUD' has been misappropriated in gaming, then carried on into other media. Few things make me want to smash my face in more than reading something like "Helmet mounted HUD")
I have the same reaction when someone uses the word controller to specifically describe a gamepad. It's GUI and gamepad, not HUD and controller ;)

And yeah, get rid of that wonky split time. It's basically a death sentence on uphill and downhill parts.

I mentioned that months ago on Twitter, but @KickUp said it had been talked about and that's where it was decided it would stay.  I think it effects different views in different parts of different stages, so moving it may just move the problem to a different set of users (unless it was moved to maybe top left corner?