DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Open Wheel, Touring and Street Racing footage

Here's some new footage of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlt0L3JO4_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hy1CqCzGww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcfLuSwulsM

Some awesome videos. Awesome to see it all from the replay cameras and watching the A.I in this build fighting and bumping each other behind or in front of you.

I've watched videos from Alex Zafro and Alex Gillon. I think they're very good preview videos and it was good to see some decent driving.

Codies inviting Youtubbers was a good move.

In general the game looks very good and AI is definitely no push over! 

The only worry I have is that some cars seem to be a bit too slidey/floaty.
Alex Gillon in this video is expressing his view on it that the Touring cars seem to be moving a bit too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZWSo1c1_04&list=UUcIqkLHMUEEyvUnki9bpeKQ

From what I know Touring cars such as the BTCC Focus don't have that much downforce and tend to move about, but they're still race focused machines and I'd expect them to be very responsive and 'pointy'.

I still think I'm going to have loads of fun with this game, but like Alex Gillon said a bit of driftiness when you over-push is desired but these cars should not slide about all the time.

But then again handling can't really be judged by watching someone else play. I'll watch more of these videos later tonight

PC graphics look rather sweet - maybe it is time to get one...

I've watched videos from Alex Zafro and Alex Gillon. I think they're very good preview videos and it was good to see some decent driving.

Codies inviting Youtubbers was a good move.

In general the game looks very good and AI is definitely no push over! 

The only worry I have is that some cars seem to be a bit too slidey/floaty.
Alex Gillon in this video is expressing his view on it that the Touring cars seem to be moving a bit too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZWSo1c1_04&list=UUcIqkLHMUEEyvUnki9bpeKQ

From what I know Touring cars such as the BTCC Focus don't have that much downforce and tend to move about, but they're still race focused machines and I'd expect them to be very responsive and 'pointy'.

I still think I'm going to have loads of fun with this game, but like Alex Gillon said a bit of driftiness when you over-push is desired but these cars should not slide about all the time.

But then again handling can't really be judged by watching someone else play. I'll watch more of these videos later tonight

PC graphics look rather sweet - maybe it is time to get one...
If I'm honest the Touring Car handling looks pretty awful. I get that its not supposed to be massively realistic but they look too drifty to be any kind of fun. Hope its changed before the game is finished

These are very much race cars, you'll definitely feel a lot more grip and agility than in the road cars. :) It's true that they'll slide around if you go beyond their limit, but doing that will slow you down. As these are front wheel drive cars, a quite common thing that happens is you go into a corner too fast, so you slide wide, so you lift off the throttle to scrub off some speed, but that gives you lift off oversteer so the back comes around and you need to correct!

I'm confident that the more you drive them and the more feel you get for how much grip there is to play with, the less sliding you're going to get and the more the car will behave like you expect.

@Britpoint

Thanks for explaining that. I am very happy with what I have seen so far. Just have one question. The touringcar race shows 3 car variations only. That was only for the session these guys had? How many more will there be to choose from?

..and since I am French can you please tell me if some French manufactures have made it in as well?

P308R said:
@Britpoint

Thanks for explaining that. I am very happy with what I have seen so far. Just have one question. The touringcar race shows 3 car variations only. That was only for the session these guys had? How many more will there be to choose from?

..and since I am French can you please tell me if some French manufactures have made it in as well?

I can't go into detail about exactly how many cars or which ones we have, although lots more Touring car info will be coming pretty soon, so keep an eye out :)

Doesn't seem to have same Grid1 sense of speed. Feels a lot slower.

Hoping those multile positions in each of the tuning setups actually make a difference..., ego engine is not precisely famous for having good physics

any chance of seeing some Endurance type racing or the tuner/drift discipline? Would be good to see a little of everything. I'm particularly interested in the Endurance one

nice touring videos mastavonblasta....
i noticed one of AI racers is greek  called Dimitrios Varga..The dimitrios is right greek name but Varga  is wrong for       male [-X  ..It should be called Vargas...L-)

*plus very good replays cameras , i wished we be able to spectate online races with such cameras + text chat in race and lobby ...i would preorder it right now then...^:)^

Britpoint said:
These are very much race cars, you'll definitely feel a lot more grip and agility than in the road cars. :) It's true that they'll slide around if you go beyond their limit, but doing that will slow you down. As these are front wheel drive cars, a quite common thing that happens is you go into a corner too fast, so you slide wide, so you lift off the throttle to scrub off some speed, but that gives you lift off oversteer so the back comes around and you need to correct!

I'm confident that the more you drive them and the more feel you get for how much grip there is to play with, the less sliding you're going to get and the more the car will behave like you expect.
Hi @Britpoint ! Thanks for posting. The handling of the Touring cars looks fun and trading paint should be a pleasure :)

I wanted to ask (hopefully you'll be allowed to answer) about input from real life Touring car drives Matt Neal and Andrew Jordan. Can you let us know what do they do with the game devs when they come in to your mighty Codies HQ?

What was their feedback when they first played what you've put in front of them?

Can you give us an idea of what changes you've made based on their feedback?

What kind of comments did they have on Touring car handling? - Was it 'that's very very realistic' or 'that is close enough, bearing in mind your aim with this game'?

Are you able to make changes 'on the fly' when they make comments or do you often need more time to implement any suggestions for handling?

Cheers!

@MastaVonBlasta

Lunch. They definitely have lunch. There was something surreal about queuing behind Matt Neal in the work canteen! :)

They spend time talking to various people in the company, it's not all car handling stuff. For example they'll have a chat with the level designers about the circuits, telling them where all the bumps are and things like that. Then they come and sit down with us and we'll put them on a circuit they know with some cars and just let them go at it really. I didn't speak to Andrew Jordan myself but Matt Neal I did.

Initial feedback was positive, it definitely seemed to have a good first impression, so the majority of the feedback was in the little details and differences in feel. So we didn't quite have the responsive turn-in as the real car or the suspension felt a bit soft, things like that. Some changes can be made on the fly, we just punch in some numbers, click apply and say "does that feel better?" but doing that can have knock on effects that take a while to fix so we tend not to do too much of that.

Overall they seemed pleased with the character of the cars in that no, it's not a sim that's going to spit you off the road if you get it wrong, but the cars behaved how they expected. So there was not much "I'd expect it to do something different when I accelerate here," or things like that.

Are these touring car drivers racing with all assists off?

How about the videos, are they with all assists off?

@Britpoint‌ thanks again for the great response. If you are able to work with thé BTCC-drivers like that, van we expect a lot more BTCC in the future ? I'll probably already know what you are going to respond but really this would ne absolutely amazing. ;)

Cheers @Britpoint !

Haha everyone knows there's no such thing as free lunch! :D Even BTCC pro drivers need to give something in return for a sandwich and crisps at the Codies HQ! :D

So who was quicker? :D Matt Neal or Andrew Jordan? :)

Purple44 said:
Are these touring car drivers racing with all assists off?

How about the videos, are they with all assists off?
The 3 original videos of the post, he seems to be using ABS

the 4th video posted by @MastaVonBlasta I couldn't see any.
Look to the bottom right corner of the screen that's where any assists will appear on the HUD

any chance of seeing some Endurance type racing or the tuner/drift discipline? Would be good to see a little of everything. I'm particularly interested in the Endurance one
Endurance is up next all going to plan:)

Loore said:
Endurance is up next all going to plan:)
Lovely jubbly as Delboy would say :D