Sign in to follow this  

The Positive Thread

My working life is very stressful at the moment so, despite my reservations, I picked up a copy of Grid to distract me from the real world for a bit. 

It gave me enormous pleasure to report I found plenty to applaud and little to justify the bashing this game has gotten so far.

Far from being underdeveloped ( I eat my heresay based words) this is a well polished reboot that surpasses the previous titles in most areas, (I have owned every CM racing game since Toca 2 and hated some aspects of the Grid series.) 

Presentation doesn't look bland to me ( and I am an artist by trade), smoke blowing over the menus is a nice touch, lovely opening credits and well chosen BACKGROUND music.. custom your own soundtrack if you like but at least there is nothing annoying here..The announcers are always a bugbear but having them shut each other up with the x button is a masterstroke..

Stellar handling straight off the bat on controller, and well executed damage and particle animation - the smoke effects have to be up there with the best, and the flying body parts are really convincing, they somehow seem to have real heft to them as they gain air . Less structural deformation perhaps than of yore, and of course scripted rather than soft body, but it certainly beats GTSport and Forza for detail and execution. 

Regarding content, there are surely sufficient events and cars to master, it is certainly going to take me forever to handle that tankslappy 240z in the wet. The track selection is going to be added to for free anyway. 

Like it or not this is current industry practice and, running my own business, I know how hard it is to juggle priorities, the customer often just doesn’t get this. I am the first to shout if I feel cynically shortchanged. That is not the case here, and I am angry when I see people jump to conclusions and be disrespectful  just because they cannot have their all their demands met. 

The trees are pretty bad though, I will give you that... I would imagine the designers thought the code was better spent elsewhere, but they look like cellshaded cut outs from Automodellista.

Now lay into me instead, and give Codies a break.......lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

He just likes the game overall. His standards might not be as high as yours, and you need to understand that. Your post was unnecessary because the thread was positive, and you attacked his character because the game was a cash grab in your eyes.

I know this game has its problems, like a sub-par multiplayer and a short track list (All new tracks will be free). but that doesn't mean I cannot just shove away the positives and be negative ALL the time. If that is a persons standards, he might not be able to stand a game with the smallest of mistakes.

Edited by CordedQuill42
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 2

Mm. the personal attacks just endorse my point, many incorrect assumptions there as well. As to my credentials professionally, you can look me up and judge my judgement for yourselves

timlloydsmithfineart.com

No doubt after longer play I will find plenty of faults, and the repetitive aspect wearing, but anyone reading the forum new to the game would think it a shallow, incomplete broken mess, which is not the case.

I am just saying that it is an simcade game suitable for casual play, so I read it accordingly, I am not blind to things such as the Multiplayer issues, the damage has higher fidelity than of old but agreed is more restricted. 

The intention of this thread is to convey my thanks to Codemasters for entertaining me and encouraging people to post some positives.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Why is this "a positive" thread when all you're doing is stoking up yet another bout of negativity?

It's tiresome and contrary to your beliefs we have all moved on from the initial mudslinging. Those (a) with no/low levels of expectation, (b) who support the Codemasters cause or (c) who are just general gamers have bought the game and the rest (who have all stated personal reasons for not doing so) haven't. Exactly what else is there left to discuss on this matter?

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Agree 1

Positive towards the game, and noting very little praise for it on here and much criticism, which is unfortunately is human nature. 

No, the game is nowhere near terrible. In fact I think there is quite something to like about it.

I think the issue we most have is that it lacks the quality that usually Codemasters delivers in their games. I can't remember another game in recent years with many issues as this. Being so poorly optimized in old hardware, lacking rules in different tournaments, having short races, bots in MP, etc...

As I said, it is not terrible nor unplayable. In fact the game itself is very fun imo. But lacks the quality that past games of the developer (and the series) had. But if it is your first Grid/Codemasters game, is 100% understandable that you won't notice these things.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, lloydsmith said:

Far from being underdeveloped ( I eat my heresay based words) this is a well polished reboot that surpasses the previous titles in most areas, (I have owned every CM racing game since Toca 2 and hated some aspects of the Grid series.) 

Now lay into me instead, and give Codies a break.......lol.

3 hours ago, lloydsmith said:

No doubt after longer play I will find plenty of faults, and the repetitive aspect wearing, but anyone reading the forum new to the game would think it a shallow, incomplete broken mess, which is not the case.

I am just saying that it is an simcade game suitable for casual play, so I read it accordingly, I am not blind to things such as the Multiplayer issues, the damage has higher fidelity than of old but agreed is more restricted. 

The intention of this thread is to convey my thanks to Codemasters for entertaining me and encouraging people to post some positives. 

1 hour ago, lloydsmith said:

Positive towards the game, and noting very little praise for it on here and much criticism, which is unfortunately is human nature. 

Positives.....not so positives.....and back to positives.

"The intention of this thread is to convey my thanks to Codemasters for entertaining me and encouraging people to post some positives" 

"Now lay into me instead, and give Codies a break.......lol."

You're making things up as you go along.

5 hours ago, lloydsmith said:

As to my credentials professionally, you can look me up and judge my judgement for yourselves

timlloydsmithfineart.com

Link doesn't work, but google gave me this: http://timlloydsmith.com/

That yours? Real impressive stuff.

I'm a graduate of an Art & Design School myself (BA in Sculpture & Combined Media) and the stuff in that link is real good. I found physcial media too messy though, so I taught myself digital tools instead 😀

(and yes, I know this is off-topic, sorry 😅)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Again, Look past this please, What I initially said is no longer in question.

Edited by CordedQuill42
Words Removed (Myself)
  • Disagree 2

With this thread has turned to personal attacks, and therefore serves no more purpose.

@ChrisGrovesMCM, Please lock this.

Edited by CordedQuill42
Flagging a Moderator to lock this thread / Words Removed (Myself)
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

@XoxFlukeXox

I have not played online at Grid 2019.

Give it a go.  The AI will welcome you with open arms.  They are all super clean and respectful drivers.  Apart from Ollie something...he just lags back and forth.  How does an AI even lag?? 

Then it probably wont put you into a lobby, so better off doing career mode.  That takes about a week to complete all events with a gold cup.  So now there is nothing to do with the game.