Tire Choice

Hey!

I am wondering what determins the tire ware? Excample if you have 6 stages before service. Personally i would choose Hard. But how do i know that the

tires are in good condition all the way? What kind of driving does not affect the tires too much, or is the ware the same not matter what kind of driving and is only determind by the km

driven?

Wish i could go out of the var between stages and check 🙂

Don't know if it has been changed but as far as I remember the tire wear visualized in the tire selection during service stops seems to be the same for soft and medium. I feel like there's a difference in grip level for soft vs medium after longer stages at least when the second stage is wet, but honestly it's so vague it might be my imagination. I have never used anything other than soft, and I can't think of any reason at all to ever use hard.

Still, medium tires are always highlighted as recommended for some reason, maybe I should try them out and see if my times improve, hmm...

Edited by ViperTheRapper

i definnitly feel a difference using soft vs hard, try soft on six stages in wales, whitout service and tell med your experience.

I wonder what driving style is accuired for saving tires (if any) on events with long intervals on service

But there are no in-game events with more than 3 stages between services. Are they?

therefore using soft and rain/snow if need is the best option. I don't understand why the game always suggest meds instead of softs

Agreed. never been recomended other than medium.

No you are right, but im talking about custom events and there are many clubs whom uses longer service intervals. I like that, more planning and you cannot take big risks

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ViperTheRapper said:

Don't know if it has been changed but as far as I remember the tire wear visualized in the tire selection during service stops seems to be the same for soft and medium. I feel like there's a difference in grip level for soft vs medium after longer stages at least when the second stage is wet, but honestly it's so vague it might be my imagination. I have never used anything other than soft, and I can't think of any reason at all to ever use hard.

Still, medium tires are always highlighted as recommended for some reason, maybe I should try them out and see if my times improve, hmm...

if you're doing three stages or less soft tires are best unless two or more of them are long ones.

the tire wear system is solid, the problems are just that 

a) there is no info on how it works other than some vague guidelines

b) the graphic telling you how the tires are wearing down kinda sucks

c) they always, always recommend medium (unless it's wet tarmac), which is usually wrong

d) hard tires are pretty much useless unless you're doing like 6+ stages in custom championships.

45 minutes ago, Skistad said:

i definnitly feel a difference using soft vs hard, try soft on six stages in wales, whitout service and tell med your experience.

I wonder what driving style is required for saving tires (if any) on events with long intervals on service

apparently, driving clean and tight helps. so like less drifting and less wheelspin. what you would expect, basically.

it's quite an advanced system, the game just gives you zero info about it. actually, many things in the game are like this: stage degradation, car damage and part wear, tire wear, AI times, etc. it's frustrating...

Edited by ianism
  • Agree 3

Okey, so not just km on the tires. Your answer is what i hoped the tire function would be. But as you say, little or no info ingame. Tire wear should be more of a consern to me than it needs to be right now. 

Probably wont be changed either, as it looks like codemasters are over their heads making new liverys...

Would be really nice if Codemasters gave us detailed information about how tire compounds and tire wear work in the game. And many other features too. It's very strange that a racing sim has lots of fancy, advanced features and yet players don't have a clue about how they actualy work. The game tells you next to nothing, and there is no detailed information available online. This really should change.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, HoksuHoo said:

Would be really nice if Codemasters gave us detailed information about how tire compounds and tire wear work in the game. And many other features too. It's very strange that a racing sim has lots of fancy, advanced features and yet players don't have a clue about how they actualy work. The game tells you next to nothing, and there is no detailed information available online. This really should change.

Yep. I've just faced that i can't set real gear ratios. What CM gave us is a slider with fancy values

I'll test four gravel stages on dry gravel, 2 short 2 long, and put one extra stage in so i can get a service to see the tire wear and try to do it consistent so event time can be compared aswell. Soft, medium, hard.

i´ll post the results.

It does seem more difficult to get a flat with hard than soft.  If you run multiple stages with soft and a spare, it might be beneficial to drop the spare and user a harder compound.