DiRT Rally 2.0 - Version 1.10 VR Feedback

Topic will be automatically locked at 10:00

8 hours ago, Tallis161 said:

Another thing is the wheel, It took a while to get it feeling right, it seems to match how the car turns but the virtual wheel still turns a fair bit more than my physical one

Because there is a bug in game causing the physical steering wheel doesn't match required rotation range for some cars. I reported it months ago, but devs doesn't care. Maybe because most players doesn't care too or just identify thia issue as something else.

Anyway, after steering wheel calibration and enabling softlock, steering wheel rotation exactly matches R5 cars. But if you select other cars with different wheel rotation range, you have to modify wheel saturation in controller settings. For example cars like Focus'01 or Subaru'95 requires saturation to be set to 75%. This way physical and animated steering wheels matches (and of course this change has impact on handling. Unfortunately you need to change saturation every time you change car with different rotation range

11 hours ago, Powertorment said:

Are you aware that you can map input buttons to "move seat forward", "move seat back", and more? They are not mapped by default. Also adjust exact seating position you can just move the headset in either direction when hitting "Reset VR" and then move you head back again. This allows fine tuning of position.

Yes im aware of that you can bind buttons to it but the range is not good enough. Its not fine tuning to lean forward while pressing center view instead it should be possible with the buttons that are already used ingame. Sometimes the view is both too high and too close to the wheel and making it "correct" by both pushing your head up and forward at the same time can push the camera to either right or left. You shouldnt need trial and error to make it right when we already have buttons to move the view in those exact directions. All they need to do is to make let us use a wider range  😛

Edited by somethingthing
  • Agree 1

Some thing that are still not fixed

: Colour banding. I dont play nigth time or evening races because of this

:Stering wheel and whipers low fps. Really anoying and imersion breaking

:sound in the oculus version. And the steam version does not auto switch to oculus sound

:and after 1.10 the symbols (arrows) are out of porportion again.

42 minutes ago, kellemann said:

and after 1.10 the symbols (arrows) are out of porportion again

it's not "again". IMO it's never been fixed. Aspect ratio depends on game window size. Set it up to something 16:9'ish, running in windowed mode.

• What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus). - Steam
  • What headset you're using. Oculus RIft S
  • What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.). GTX1080, i7 7700k, 32Gb RAM
  • Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only). Deluxe
  • Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc. G920 wheel

Today it is all crash to desktop.  I can't finish any races.  This is super frustrating.

EDIT:  This was caused by a bad update for the drivers on my video card.  Fixed now.

Edited by NateFink
New information:

8 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

it's not "again". IMO it's never been fixed. Aspect ratio depends on game window size. Set it up to something 16:9'ish, running in windowed mode.

I have done this, but after 1.10 its not working anymore

7 hours ago, kellemann said:

I have done this, but after 1.10 its not working anymore

It changed what graphics config it load the settings from. You need to do it again.

Edited by somethingthing

i was watching the finland clip now and in this one its very obvious why the rendering of ground cover needs improvement.

Go to 16.16 and see how the grass pop up and this is something you can notice in 2d on a small monitor, just imagine how it looks 1:1 and the "monitor" is as big as your entire view.

The rendering distance really needs improvement. Make a new setting or something that fix this if you do not want to change the graphics settings people are used to. Rendering distance is a pretty performance heavy setting but at least give us the choice! I would be happy to turn down other settings to get rid of this, now i need to use "off" on ground cover to not be bothered by it.

Edited by somethingthing

2 hours ago, somethingthing said:

It changed what graphics config it load the settings from. You need to do it again.

yes i know, it was  in the patch notes. Ofcourse i have check this before i post here

For those Oculus users having issues with the colour banding / night time rallies - try Steam VR mode (if you have it through steam), the performance is comparable to the Oculus mode (for me anyway) and looks much better.

20 hours ago, Bynar said:

For those Oculus users having issues with the colour banding / night time rallies - try Steam VR mode (if you have it through steam), the performance is comparable to the Oculus mode (for me anyway) and looks much better.

I tried SteamVR version yesterday and the performance is much better... But a little worse than Oculus API.

I hope Codemasters will fix banding issues (and HDR changes) not so late but I guess they have a lot of work ToDo.

@PJTierney I got time to finally sit down last night with DR2.0 with the 1.10 update. The brightness on daytime Finland in VR is insane, makes it difficult to see infront of the car. I will be trying on other tracks later to see if its just Finland effected, or every country.

Colour banding is still a major issue, and makes the game unplayable if you lose headlights on all stages but Sweden (white snow makes it possible to see clear enough to play, but is not pleasent).

The reset view posistion is a lot higher also, to the point I can only get it in the right place by lifting myself well out of my cockpit seat and resetting view with the HMD in a higher posistion than normal. Seat posistion controls do not allow enough movement to correct it.

------------------------------------

What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus). - Steam using Oculus SDK

What headset you're using. - Oculus Rift CV1

What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.).
Intel core i7 6700k
16gb ddr4 3000mhz
nvidiva GTX 1080 (MSI gaming X)
Window 10 (all current updates installed)

Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only). Deluxe edition + season 3/4.

Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc.

Thrustmaster T300RS with T3PA pro pedals ( pedals connected via wheel base)
2x TH8A shifters (one in h-pattern mode for manual gears, one in sequential for handbrake)
Logitech G502 gaming mouse
Logitech G810 mechanical keyboard
logitech triathlon m720 (bluetooth mode)
Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard

• Agree 1

I tried Finland with ground cover set to high and the grass didnt pop up as much as in other tracks so thats positive. Started the AI daily at New England and the pop up grass was back.

Edited by somethingthing

6 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

@PJTierney I got time to finally sit down last night with DR2.0 with the 1.10 update. The brightness on daytime Finland in VR is insane, makes it difficult to see infront of the car. I will be trying on other tracks later to see if its just Finland effected, or every country.

The reset view posistion is a lot higher also, to the point I can only get it in the right place by lifting myself well out of my cockpit seat and resetting view with the HMD in a higher posistion than normal. Seat posistion controls do not allow enough movement to correct it.

------------------------------------

What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus). - Steam using Oculus SDK

What headset you're using. - Oculus Rift CV1

Brightness on the one side also on the other side it's way to dark, mainly in the woods. So this needs a more balanced approach.

The seat position range is to small, that's also reported a lot of times.

Steam with SteamVR and Index on Win 10 

After SteamVR got updated today, VR (WMR) doesn't work anymore(!).

E: OK, it works now, so it was only a temporary glitch.

Edited by AadHofman

OK, it is happening again, so there's defo a problem. SteamVR starts but the game appears only on the monitor.  

E: This time solved by first starting SteamVR, then the game. 

Edited by AadHofman

2 hours ago, AadHofman said:

OK, it is happening again, so there's defo a problem. SteamVR starts but the game appears only on the monitor.  

E: This time solved by first starting SteamVR, then the game. 

It has been like that for me always. I need to start SteamVR *before* starting the game or it will fail.

3 hours ago, Powertorment said:

It has been like that for me always. I need to start SteamVR *before* starting the game or it will fail.

Interesting. For me it has not been necessary to start Steam separately until now. 

Sometimes when you have finished the race and hit the marhsal the vr headset start flashing for a few seconds. This doesnt really bother me but it can be dangerous for people with epilepsy. Im not sure if vr is recommended for them anyway but donno. Oculus rift

I'm using the Steam version with an Oculus Rift. Since a couple of days for some reason I cannot start the Oculus VR mode anymore. SteamVR works perfect. 
When I start the Oculus SDK version I get the start screen with ...loading... in my Rift and after about 30 secs the game on the second screen (monitor) starts. Then a message appears about missing the Oculus Rift and try to reconnect cables etc? I only have this with DR2.0. Other games/apps work in Oculus mode. 

Did already a game integrity check via Steam, completely uninstalled and reinstalled Oculus and a new Oculus setup, Not enabled any beta mode in Oculus and Steam(VR). Disabled starting Oculus Home.

Hopefully a simple user error which I overlook at the moment? Anyone a suggestion? Thanks!

First clip you see the right tree at the turn becoming pixalated.

second clip you see how the trees behave with changing colors or changing shadows or whatever they do. But it looks terrible

In third clip just at the end you see how the ground cover builds up to the left.

4x msaa, 16aa, ground cover is set to high. Trees to ultra and shadows to high. But the settings wont matter, Ive tried everything. For these videos everything is stock in nvidia control panel. Recorded forced asw 45 fps. Have also tried to lower other settings and only used settings that should affect this and run in 90 fps but doesnt fix it neither.

My config file is attached

hardware_settings_config_vr.xml

In this clip i turned off advanced blending and put cloth (i dont think that matters though)  to max. Look at the fence

Edited by somethingthing

Key bindings for Tilt view up/down doesn't do anything anymore. That and resetVR doesn't reset tilt to desired orientation, it's crucial for my sim setup on VR.