Scientific TYRE Choices for Australia. Why hard?

A not Scientific test of different tire compounds in Dirt Rally 2.0

I have for some time wondered what my tire choices would do on my overall time. This is especially important in custom events and Clubs. Some have 4-6 stages before Service.

So, I’ve done a little test on four stages in Australia using tires in this order: Soft/Medium/Hard

Car

Subaru Impreza 2001 in the 2000`s class.

Stages

The stages I choose was completely random but it had to have 2 short and 2 long.

Rockton Plains – 6,89km

Mount Kaye Pass x2 – 12,50km

Noorinbe ridge ascent – 5,28km

All in full degradation, and dry

A total of 37,17km with no tire change only service for the car itself between each stage.

How

I tried to drive at almost limit every time but safe enough to not go of the road. And any “memory driving” I compensated with a few beers after the first event on the soft tires.

Results

Soft

The soft tires were great up until after the third stage and a total of 31,89km then they were worn, and the car got hard to handle on the final stage, almost impossible.

Stage 4 time with worn tires: 03.31t

Event: 23min 14sec

Medium

Also, the medium preformed great, and some of the reason for that is probably this is the most common tire I use overall in the game. Just as the soft the medium was worn after stage 3, but way easier than the soft to handle on the following stage. Didn’t feel all that different from the previous stages.

Stage 4 time with worn tires: 03.25

Event : 23min 15sec

Hard

The hard tire compound is hard! You can feel that in the 2 first stages before it somehow mellows a bit and the feeling is somewhere in between medium and hard. More on the hard side. The tires weren’t worn even after stage 4 were finished, so they last for a long time, but the overall grip during an event such as this is not good enough.

Stage 4 time with used tires: 03.31

Event 23:35

Conclusion

Soft: 23 minutes 14sec, very hard to handle on stage four

Medium: 23 minutes 15sec. Good handling all four stages.

Hard: Suffers from traction loss and bad handling on all four stages

My conclusion after this mini test, which actually took a while is: The Medium is overall the best tire to use on gravel if the next service is no more than 40km away.  But would probably go for Hard on longer intervals. The soft compound I cant see any meaning using unless it rains or there is a wet surface for 2+ stages 

Edited by Skistad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

" And any “memory driving” I compensated with a few beers after the first event on the soft tires. "

sounds like a test im going to try myself!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What about tyre type versus gravel type? For example do soft tires last longer in Greece comparing to Portugal Argentina? 

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

1 hour ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

What about tyre type versus gravel type? For example do soft tires last longer in Greece comparing to Portugal? 

Be my guest. It takes a while to do this, so please join in and do a similar test yourself 🙂

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

What about tyre type versus gravel type? For example do soft tires last longer in Greece comparing to Portugal? 

I'm 90% sure there is a difference between the different types of gravel, but it'll probably not make a huge difference.

also.... Portugal? do you mean Argentina?

12 hours ago, Skistad said:

The Medium is overall the best tire to use if the next service is no more than 40km away.  But would probably go for Hard on longer intervals. The soft compound I cant see any meaning using unless it rains or there is a wet surface for 2+ stages

sure, but in all My Team (career, community challenges etc) and Historic Championships the service is never more than 3 stages away (usually 3 short, occasionally 1 long + 2 short, almost never 2 long + 1 short), so there is basically never any reason to take medium over soft in any of those situations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well i agree, but the soft tire does not mean a faster stage time, i think many use soft on for example Daily Challanges but the difference is for me anyways, minimal, and on a medium/high surface degradation I fell it as more of a disadvantage actually. No degradtion or wet, soft i ideal.

This may not apply for everyone obviosly so i suggest doing a quick a test on a couple of stages not so familiar with soft and medium compound.

For me softs are always faster than meds.

But I stopped on you statement. Are you right about using soft on wet surface?

3 minutes ago, Skistad said:

No degradtion or wet, soft i ideal.

You should probably add "when no wet tire is available".

Recently there was a weekly event in Spain, with mixed weather. Because of long stage on dry followed by short stage in "light rain" I have chosen soft tires. It was total mistake. Soft tire wasn't been able to handle a bit damp surface 😞 It felt like on ice.

I´ll add that 🙂 Im talking about gravel. Soft or medium when just one wet stage on a tarmac event usualy ends in the ditch 😄

3 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

I hoped you have more free time than me 😉 

Maybe i´ll give greece a go. Same type of test. 4 stages, 2long 2 short

15 hours ago, Skistad said:

And any “memory driving” I compensated with a few beers after the first event on the soft tires.

For science!

(interesting analysis 🙂)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

For me softs are always faster than meds.

But I stopped on you statement. Are you right about using soft on wet surface?

You should probably add "when no wet tire is available".

Recently there was a weekly event in Spain, with mixed weather. Because of long stage on dry followed by short stage in "light rain" I have chosen soft tires. It was total mistake. Soft tire wasn't been able to handle a bit damp surface 😞 It felt like on ice.

I did the same race using the same tactic, and what I noticed was that while on the wet track with the soft tires I had to drive like it was a DMV test and lost a few positions, on the following two segments I picked up so many positions it was totally worth it.

You really would be better served analyzing telemetry to judge tyre wear. (not tire, tyre) Or at least as an additional and more scientific data set.   For example you could compare your exit speeds very easily with the RDA app that I made live on screen (second screen or game windowed).  If your tyres are worn, you must be seeing a few Km difference on exits and through the straights.  Overall time has the issue of cumulative mistakes and fatigue etc,  repeatability.  You would need to run your stages/tests dozens of times to get more reliable info.  (because you can't feel your grip in the game, and you're not one of the best 20 rally drivers in the world)   my2c

"This is my tests, there are many like it but this one is mine."

Of course I've should have done it a dozens of times. But I didn't. More then enough for myself and hopefully someone else to decide on which Tyre to choose. 

I'm not top anything, but still pretty good. Sad to see I have to defend myself because ONE person dislikes these mini tests I put some time and effort into. And sorry for any misspelled words I might have written. 

And by the way, where do I find this awsome app of yours in the PS store? 😉

I don't dislike the tests, it's just a very obvious suggestion to improve them with a free application.   The app is for Windows 10, it's also why most people doing any kind of studies/research are on Linux or Windows operating systems not Consoles (occasionally Apple also if that works of course). 

If it works for you then great, I can tell you for me, I was not able to extract useful information from your writeup.  Don't hate me but I am used to reading some research papers, setting up cars, and occasionally writing some of my own too, and I'm just trying to help you improve.

Edited by bn880

No hard feelings 😊. It's just that the Sony Corp has limited options for, well anything. And my tests is of course just some basic, not exact, and incomplete surveys. Just thought it would be fun, but now after doing it, I see hundreds of similar and more accurate tests. So, waste of time, but it wasn't BS. I did them in a somewhat serious way. And I want continue if someone doesn't want me to 😁

Yeah no worries.   If you ever jump ship to a PC I think you'd definitely enjoy the UDP stuff that's out there, not just RDA.

Actually, I'm in the process of jumping. Waiting for black Friday and some good deals. Rather pc than ps5. Is there UDP for everything? I mean including newest releases? 

Most Codies sim games have UDP output.  Many other Sim games out there support UDP (or API's) as well and you can use one of the most versatile apps for them called SimHub (you can check list of supported games on that).

Edited by bn880