Jump to content

The Car Class Allocation Thread

Recommended Posts

Car classes are pretty good in this game, a good balance of performance vs era vs amount of cars in each class, however I think we can agree that there are some questionable allocations here and there.

The most glaring ones I can think of I'll list here and hopefully we can get some word on whether cars will ever be moved, or if some sort of multi-class system will be introduced.

 

Car - Current Class > "Correct" Class

Datsun 240z - H3 RWD > H2 RWD

Lancia Stratos - H3 RWD > H2 RWD

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI - Group A > Up to 2000cc

 

In fact, I'd go so far to say that every car in the H2 FWD and H3 RWD classes could be assigned elsewhere to make more era accurate Group 4/A/B classes. Performance balance issues be damned! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure about the Lancer, haven't driven it that much. Regarding the other cars, what are the criteria you're basing your assessment on? The 240Z might be on the lower end in terms of competitiveness in the class, but I think the Opel is a tiny bit slower. 

Also, to me the Stratos seems to be top tier in the class, so I'm not sure why you want to degrade it. Even the Datsun and the Opel would probably be OP in H2 then, so there's no perfect solution for these cars: Either underpowered in H3 or dominating H2. 

Edited by richie
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MattyH1812 said:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI - Group A > Up to 2000cc

Couldn’t agree more. I have only downloaded the 01 Focus, 01 Impreza and the 206, the more advanced stuff from the era which technically lasted from 1997-2011 should really be split in two and that Lancer should be in there with the 206, bug-eye Impreza and Mk1 Focus - not competing against cars from the early ‘90s Group A era.

 

I’d also like to see as much of the post ‘86 Group A stuff lumped in together in rallies as was the case in-period.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, richie said:

Regarding the other cars, what are the criteria you're basing your assessment on?

Mostly by year, so the Stratos and 240z being cars from the 70's they should compete against other cars from the 70's (H2 RWD) in my view, not cars from the late 80's like the BMW M3, it makes no sense from a historic standpoint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MattyH1812 said:

Mostly by year, so the Stratos and 240z being cars from the 70's they should compete against other cars from the 70's (H2 RWD) in my view, not cars from the late 80's like the BMW M3, it makes no sense from a historic standpoint

OK, but putting a car in H2 that is top tier in H3 would destroy the class, wouldn't it? No point in picking any of the other cars, they'd be light years off pace. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richie said:

OK, but putting a car in H2 that is top tier in H3 would destroy the class, wouldn't it? No point in picking any of the other cars, they'd be light years off pace. 

True, but that is what happened in real life right? 😂 With the Stratos at least 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

H1 H2 and H3 are not supposed to represent '60s '70s and '80s but instead the competitivity of the cars. So, in fact, the Stratos must be in H3.

I agree for the Datsun, fits more in H2 for me.

The Lancer EVO 6 made its debut in the final 1998 WRC events and 't was homologated gr. A until San Remo rally in 2001.

It wasn't a WRC car, It was the ultimate Gr. A car, from a certain point of view

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MattyH1812 said:

Car classes are pretty good in this game, a good balance of performance vs era vs amount of cars in each class, however I think we can agree that there are some questionable allocations here and there.

The most glaring ones I can think of I'll list here and hopefully we can get some word on whether cars will ever be moved, or if some sort of multi-class system will be introduced.

 

Car - Current Class > "Correct" Class

Datsun 240z - H3 RWD > H2 RWD

Lancia Stratos - H3 RWD > H2 RWD

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI - Group A > Up to 2000cc

 

In fact, I'd go so far to say that every car in the H2 FWD and H3 RWD classes could be assigned elsewhere to make more era accurate Group 4/A/B classes. Performance balance issues be damned! 

I have discussed this many times in here, but people thought I was crazy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I'm not the only one annoyed by some of the allocations. I think there should be a RWD Group like DR1 (maybe there is with the DLC cars but I don't have them so can't say) and the Renault 5 and Ascona should be in with the 911, Manta, 037 etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stratos - definitely no.

Datsun - rather no, but only becouse I don't like it and it could force me to drive it if I wanted to be competitive in online events.

Lancer IMO also no. Honestly it's even not the fastest in group A, so it will probably kill it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DoubleTen said:

H1 H2 and H3 are not supposed to represent '60s '70s and '80s but instead the competitivity of the cars. So, in fact, the Stratos must be in H3.

2 hours ago, Pioy said:

Stratos - definitely no.

Datsun - rather no, but only becouse I don't like it and it could force me to drive it if I wanted to be competitive in online events.

Lancer IMO also no. Honestly it's even not the fastest in group A, so it will probably kill it.

It's not about what's fast and what's not in my view, it's about what is historically accurate, and racing a Stratos against an E30 M3 simply isn't historically accurate. 

Maybe I'm thinking more in terms of custom events than multiplayer, but solo custom events would be A LOT more fun with historically accurate classes, in my opinion, regardless of competitiveness.

Imagine how good it would feel to beat AWD Group B cars in some RWD cars on tarmac stages for example, knowing you nailed the stage.

Also, who's to say that cars couldn't be rebalanced to fit into the classes they should belong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MattyH1812 said:

Also, who's to say that cars couldn't be rebalanced to fit into the classes they should belong?

Well sure, cars could be given some fantasy performance values to make them competitive in their class, but guess what? That would not be historically accurate.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HoksuHoo said:

Well sure, cars could be given some fantasy performance values to make them competitive in their class, but guess what? That would not be historically accurate.

I'd take that over racing a 1972 240z against a bloody Sierra Cosworth 

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 11:55 PM, MattyH1812 said:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI - Group A > Up to 2000cc 

No way.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MattyH1812 said:

It's not about what's fast and what's not in my view, it's about what is historically accurate, and racing a Stratos against an E30 M3 simply isn't historically accurate. 

Maybe I'm thinking more in terms of custom events than multiplayer, but solo custom events would be A LOT more fun with historically accurate classes, in my opinion, regardless of competitiveness.

Imagine how good it would feel to beat AWD Group B cars in some RWD cars on tarmac stages for example, knowing you nailed the stage.

Also, who's to say that cars couldn't be rebalanced to fit into the classes they should belong? 

IMO this is exactly the point:

7 hours ago, HoksuHoo said:

Well sure, cars could be given some fantasy performance values to make them competitive in their class, but guess what? That would not be historically accurate.

I'm just glad to think cars characteristics and competitiveness is somewhat adequate to historical true, it's way more important for me that getting upset becouse this car is few years too old and this 3 years too young to participate in such class.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the H-classes are allocated for balance, not by era. otherwise it'd be called Group 4 or 1970s or whatever like in Dirt 3 or DR1

19 hours ago, MattyH1812 said:

I'd take that over racing a 1972 240z against a bloody Sierra Cosworth 

the idea is that we don't live in the 70s. if you wanted to organise a rally with a bunch of those cars now, you'd make categories that were balanced, so that it is fair. 

as for the Lancer... I think they should just add a more recent Evo to the game and stick that in the 2000cc class. also maybe give us an older one too, like the IV or something. 😛 

Edited by ianism

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ianism said:

as for the Lancer... I think they should just add a more recent Evo to the game and stick that in the 2000cc class. also maybe give us an older one too, like the IV or something. 😛 

The Lancer Evo 9? They've got the model so it is depends on their decisions only...

maxresdefault.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that model from Dirt 2? Needs a bit of an update to be up to DR2.0 standards. Though Evo IX for R4 class could be a cool addition, that class is a bit light atm. 2000cc is for world rally cars so they'd need the Lancer WRC, not Evo IX, besides that class has 7 cars already.

Edited by HoksuHoo
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think the Evo VI is right in the Group A and i hope the Evo 9 is coming back to dirt rally

in wich class of Nissan Datsun I do not know,i did not find anything on the internet


 

 
Edited by gleylancer571

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about splitting the H3 class in two? Faster and slower cars into their own separate classes.

H4: BMW, Stratos, R5T

H3: Datsun, Ascona, Sierra

Edited by HoksuHoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The BMW M3 E30 is a Group A Car

BMW M3 E30 H3 >> Group A

Does the Renault R5 Turbo not belong in Group B ??

 

 

 
Edited by gleylancer571
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gleylancer571 said:

The BMW M3 E30 is a Group A Car

BMW M3 E30 H3 >> Group A

Does the Renault R5 Turbo not belong in Group B ??

This is what I mean that the entire H3 class is basically made up of cars that belong elsewhere!

E30 M3 > Group A

Ascona 400 > Group B RWD

Stratos > H2

5 Turbo > Group B RWD

240z > H2

Sierra > Group A

Even some of the in game descriptions of those cars mention them participating in Group B and Group A

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are confusing real-life specifications and in-game classes.

These cars don't "belong" anywhere. H2 and H3 are just something Codemasters made up to categorize cars based on drivetrain and performance, rather than real-life regulations. Can't say it's a 100% success but the general idea is quite sensible.

240Z is way too slow to compete against Stratos, moving them both a different class certainly does not solve that problem. E30 and Sierra are Group A but they just happen to be rear-wheel drive. Ascona can't even compete in H3 and you want to move it up.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HoksuHoo said:

You are confusing real-life specifications and in-game classes.

Well I'm sorry for wanting my simulation game to be a bit more of a.... simulation 😑

 

On 10/25/2019 at 7:19 PM, AyrtJ97 said:

I have discussed this many times in here, but people thought I was crazy...

Starting to know how you feel 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×