Formula One as one BIG game

(PERSONAL OPINION)

To me, I think making a new Formula One game every single year is kind of erotic. When the new game comes out, everyone else would forget about the previous titles (maybe not completely forget about them). Instead, it may be ideal to make just one game, and when the next season starts, make the new season a DLC or as a patch update.

I can understand the game size would be huge, but at least people won't forget about the previous years... unless we're really interested in the modern times. Which, I confess, I kind of am.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you actually meant to say the annual F1 game model is sexy, but your opinion is indeed a viewpoint shared by many here! 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, SturmDesTodes said:

...and deterred by Codies. XD

It would not surprise me if liberty media (and their never ending quest for show over quality) have a contractual clause in their contract with Codies that if a new game is not released every year at least 1 month earlier then the previous years was they would forfeit the contract. Liberty would love the game to be released at the start of the season regardless of the quality for maximum media exposure and potential impulse cross sales. It's not in a developers long term interest to be famous for releasing games too early, unfinished and bug ridden. I'm sure Codies must have a long term or back up plan that involves zero F1 annual games in their reportoir which they have not too subtly reminded us about recently with new Dirt Rally and Grid games. The words "albatross" and "neck" come to mind! 

• Like 1

TBH EA have made a ;lot of money out of this by doing it with Fifa. I can see the same happening with Codies but that's up to Codies to decide whether they want to continue doing that. Though tbh I don't see myself getting next years atm unless there's something dramatic in 2020.

It's not really up to Codies; their licence has always been to make one game every year. If they want to renegotiate that, they'll likely have to wait until it's next up for renewal. However, as a relatively small developer, it would be a big gamble to lose the guaranteed annual income from their most lucrative franchise.

Edited by scottishwildcat
  • Agree 1