Scientific TYRE Choices for Greece. Why soft?

A not Scientific test of different tire compounds in Dirt Rally 2.0

Greece

I have for some time wondered what my tire choices would do on my overall time. This is especially important in custom events and Clubs. Some have 4-6 stages before Service.

So, I’ve done a little test on five stages in Greece using tires in this order: Soft/Medium/Hard.

Car

Citroën c4 in the 2000`s class.

Stages

The stages I choose was completely random but in a different way than Australia. Instead of 2 long and 2 short I made it with 1 long and 4 short stages

· Stage 1: Perasma Platani – 10,69km

· Stage 2: Pedines Epidaxi – 5,38km

· Stage 3: Ypsona tou Dasos – 6,59km

· Stage 4: Ampelonas Ormi – 4,50km

· Stage 5: Abies Koiláda -7,09km

A total of 34,25km with no tire change and no service on the car

How

Since its too early in the day for compensating like I did on the Australia test I made my driving style into “No Crashing” had to drive so safe on each tire compound that there would be no damage to the car, still as fast as possible but with zero change of damage. The stage times are included on each tire

Results

Soft

The soft tires work quite brilliant from start to finish. I felt a change in grip after stage 1. Stage 2 and 3 were somewhat different but still great grip. Stage 4 and 5 the tires were worn, but I still felt I had control over the car and no significant change in the two last stages. But it required earlier breaking and it was overall more slippery and hard to take hairpins. Fun fact: The rattle noise from things hitting the wheel arch disappeared when tires were worn.

·        Stage 1: 06.38

·        Stage 2: 04.15

·        Stage 3: 03.33

·        Stage 4: 03.33 WORN

·        Stage 5: 04.33 WORN

·        Event   : 22.34

Medium

The Medium tires is always safe to use. That includes Greece. Felt a slight change after the first stage but had a good and consistent grip for the rest of the event

·        Stage 1: 07.02

·        Stage 2: 04.23

·        Stage 3: 03.39

·        Stage 4: 03.38

·        Stage 5: 04.33

·        Event   : 23.13

Hard

The hard tire compound gave me a loose grip in every stage. And this being the third time in this event in a short period of time I should have driven a bit faster but pushing more than I did would result in damage to the car and a dnf.

·        Stage 1: 07.00

·        Stage 2: 04.21

·        Stage 3: 03.41

·        Stage 4: 03.36

·        Stage 5: 04.33

·        Event   : 23.12

Conclusion

Times on each event is somewhat irrelevant since this is more a test on how I felt the car behaved on each tire compound, even though it gives you a clue on your choice.

The clear winner is SOFT. Even after it was worn it was better than hard.

Little tricky after the tires were “done” but I still sat solid times compared to medium/hard

The last thing I have noticed is that the state of the tires does not change mid stage, always in between stages.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Interesting, thanks for posting the info.  This is kind of surprising.

It does feel like hard can take a lot more damage than soft when the driver is prone to mishaps from time to time.  I have no idea if wear has any impact on that, though. 

There is little to none info about how the tire dynamics work in the game as far as i know.

I was surprised as well. My money was actually on Hard

3 minutes ago, Skistad said:

tire dynamics

Considering what @Skistad found, there is no tire dynamics. Rather scripted behaviour instead (what don't surprise me tbh)

39 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

It does feel like hard can take a lot more damage than soft when the driver is prone to mishaps from time to time.

While using softs all the time, I'm not getting any punctures (unless crashing a car)

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Well, since this is only my opinion, and maybe I should have done the test two times. So it's not an extremely accurate test. But if someone took an hour and did the exact same test and can confirm/unconfirme my findings would have been awsome 👌

Edited by Skistad

50 minutes ago, Skistad said:

Well, since this is only my opinion, and maybe I should have done the test two times. So it's not an extremely accurate test. But if someone took an hour and did the exact same test and can confirm/unconfirme my findings would have been awsome 👌

If you got any more beers you can always do the test again. Its friday after all.

• Haha 1

Absolutely! But sadly, I’m going to work all weekend starting tomorrow morning, so no more fun for me in a while, including beer

One would think that hard tires would warm up after a stage or two to provide more grip. It seems like that’s not the case.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Considering what @Skistad 

While using softs all the time, I'm not getting any punctures (unless crashing a car)

That's what I mean.  It may be in my head, but it seems like they get blown easier. 

In my experience they all blow up if you hit the sweetspot.

Would be fun though to drive on one set of tyres for an unreal set of kilometers just to see if they blow up by itself..

Edited by Skistad

Hi, I also made some super nerd job and drove soft and medium tyre tests in Greece. Note: Sweetspot is after stage 6 (27km), when total time with both tyres is 19m35s.

484586669_TyreTest-Greece-12EK-GroupA.thumb.png.d17ce962daad3b76c056d20434dc41ec.png

Edited by Moguzi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for youre Tyre Test 😍 i like more

The Tyre wear between RWD and 4WD Cars are differently you could also do a test for these two types of cars ?

I hope the next Tyre Test is for Monte Carlo or Spain

Edited by gleylancer571
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Wow! Not even in the same divison you and med 😄 Me beeing a Lada and you a Ferrari. Hehe

• Haha 1

Some really nice detective work from both of you. Too bad in normal gameplay there is basically no reason to pick anything but the soft. The services just come up too frequently!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I totally agree. It should have been more of a challenge sometimes, not just competition, but tires, setup, and suddenly more stages between service, just mix it up a little! 😛

• Agree 1