Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Gearbox wear rate.

I’m currently in season 2. I have 2 upgrades on my gearbox. I have just completed Canada on 50% after taking a brand new gearbox and the penalties to go with it. After checking my wear rate at the end my ‘brand new’ gearbox is at 43% after 1 race 😮

is this an issue with the game or down to driving style? Any advice is greatly appreciated 

• Haha 1

Driving style will help, not over/under-revving, smooth throttle etc. But I assume you are using controller? Because for me the difference between controller and wheel is pretty huge, I have loads of penalties, in fact I always get full new equipment, gearbox and all components for the first 2 races (Stock up on the parts like MGU for later on when I'm more competitive and new gearbox just because if I'm starting at the back anyway I may as well make the most of it!). The reason I take the hit right away is I always start in a low running team so you won't loose much team faith in quali or race if its particularly tough and worse for starting at the very back. You can get away with 2 poor or average races if you can at least keep it clean.

I don't really like the system as for example you wouldn't start with Ferrari and their budget with terrible durability for very long even if they had a terrible start as any team can have, but I guess it mixes it up a bit until you can get a couple of the durability parts in R&D, the first 10% to all and the first gear box are really the only important ones if you want a fairly non stressful career start.

But I'm rambling, I think the main issue maybe the scaling as you can do 5 lap career without needing to change a single thing, 25% is fairly straight forward, however I don't know what 100% is like.

If you are concerned the % wear is driving, post a vid as there are plenty of pros here who can judge fairly if you are being over aggressive on the parts, if not then it can be a good video to get Codies attention for them to look into further.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What Chiron said. 

That is crazy fast wear, though. Watch a video of an actual driver and you will see they downshift smoothly and don't just spam the shifter to slowdown etc.  

Other than that, definitely upgrade the gear box to its max and after that, do the same for the engine.  

• Agree 2

Thanks. I race on wheel and after 2 years have recently just upgraded from thrustmaster to fanatec.

After what you guys have said, i reckon it may be combination of new equipment and getting used to it but also my driving style. 
I am pretty aggressive on downshifts. A habit I’ve had since 2015 game really when I first got a wheel. I tend to have all my downshifts completed before I’ve fully pressed down brakes. 

Edited by Craig8921
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Craig8921 said:

Thanks. I race on wheel and after 2 years have recently just upgraded from thrustmaster to fanatec.

After what you guys have said, i reckon it may be combination of new equipment and getting used to it but also my driving style. 
I am pretty aggressive on downshifts. A habit I’ve had since 2015 game really when I first got a wheel. I tend to have all my downshifts completed before I’ve fully pressed down brakes. 

That last sentence! Are you using assists like abs? At the end of a long straight you should be able to basically floor the brake pedal to drop the speed by half before you even start shifting. If the gearbox sounds like it is pain don't do it lol. The engine likes to rev high but the gearbox likes to get there smoothly! 

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Craig8921 said:

It is a common problem.  As long as your conscious of it and work on it, you will get it. Smoother downshifts are smoother and wont unsettle the car. And it just sounds better.lol

Fanatec here, too. Love it!

• Agree 2

So after finally getting a day off work. Jumped back on f1, did 3rd upgrade to gearbox. I worked on my braking throughout p1&p2. Trying to be smoother and not just go nuts with downshifts. After qualy and the race my GB had gone from 43% to 52%. A massive improvement on what it was before. Thanks again for the advice now I can compete in at least 4 races before the thing explodes 🤣

and wow fanatec has definitely rejuvenated my interest in racing. So much better than thrustmaster 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Awesome! Grats Craig! That is a huge improvement! As Dale stated as long as you are aware, self conscious of whats going on then you can work on whatever you feel the need to 👍

• Like 1

Not downshifting so fast will help with rear tire wear as well!  You won’t be over revving the engine cause more torque to be delivered and the rear tires to slip.  I first noticed this at Baku while doing the tire wear test.

• Like 1