Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiRT Rally - 1 Week in - Tell us what you love.

Title says it all. We're a week in and the dust is starting to settle, hopefully you've all had a good chance to play the game too so tell us...

... What do you love about DiRT Rally?

I love that you've gone back to a strict Rally format and it's not filled with all the dribble of the previous DiRT games

There is a lot pf things I love. The cars, the stages, the realism, the co driver, but one of the. Things i love most is the survival aspect. Not only do you have to get good times, you also have to survive the whole rally. In previous games i get frustrated if i dont win. Now i'm just happy that i completed the rally. Victories can come later

Well done. The cars really drive realistically. Especially once you get the extra tweaking feature. The tweaking worked as expected. Finally. I was really hoping this will not be another arcade game. Only gran turismo gave me this feeling up till now. I love that's its a PC game too.
The graphics are great.

I love that its pure rally ATM... Blitzing the Welsh stages in a Mini Cooper is pure class... The Greek stages look amazing, as do the Monaco and Welsh stages in their way. Getting first feels like an achievement ... 

Keep it coming :smile: 

I love graphics, sounds, interface, codriver (we need an editor though), and overal approach to the rally sim genre.

J'aime:
Le rally stricte comme il est acctuelement.(mont carlo WoW magnifique <3 )
Les voitures 60/70/80 (meilleur pour moi !!!) :p
Les graphiques.(effet climatique superbe)
Les sons.
Les menu simple et accessible.
Les évenements (jour semaine et mois)
Le jeu entier est amour pour moi.

PS ma vie est foutu maintenant (1572 km en une semaine !!!:smiley:  )

Its really awesome.!

Only the ffb/wheel implementation  is a drawback AGAIN but i hope CM will be able to bring up something better this time. Using only around 300 degrees isnt realistic and feels weird but even with 540 degrees the Peugeot 4x4 from that challenge some days ago had a over sensitive steering and was undrivable for me.

I'm actually blown away by how the game handles. Did not expect this. I feel like a Little kid on christmas morning just thinking about it!

I love the way you guys took onboard everything we've been saying and are doing your best to give it to us. Awesome :)

I love that it's pure rally. No more Gymkhana, strippers, or other weird american culture.

I do not like! Because of the physics, it is an arcade. Do not be afraid to make a game simulator, a lot of people will tell you thank you!

Good points so far:
Online daily/weekly/monthly competitions are good fun!
Realism - left foot braking actually being quite useful etc.
Difficult without feeling like the AI is cheating - I focussed on completing a stage clean as my car was quite damaged, almost managed it (whoops), and I wasn't ridiculously off pace. If I'd gone max attack I'd have crashed significantly more, caused more damage, and been off pace for more of the rally, etc. I'm still learning the risk/reward balance!
It feels like classic CMR in menu layout.
Cars all feel different! Even within the same class they behave differently.
Logical performance progression. The Mini and Fulvia at the start are definitely more sensible to learn in than a Group B car! And this game does need learning! Being able to buy the next class of car up feels like an achievement in itself!

Bad points so far:
Crashes feel a bit wonky. I'm not sure a real rally car would complete a rally after rolling 5 times (or, indeed, roll 5 times so easily!) or slamming into a tree at 70mph. Maybe make damage harsher? CMR Dirt 1 had very nice race-ending damage.
Stages are fantastically unforgiving - I'd expect the car to be able to smash through a moderate amount of gravel or snow before being flicked around like a spinning top and losing a tyre.
Odd graphical glitches - lots of dithering on alpha textures on AMD cards, wheels clipping through bodywork when the suspension is compressed fully, cracks in the side windows propagating through the sliding window vent (even through open air if it's shown as open). The toughest one though is probably how textures stretch over the damaged car unrealistically.
Would be nice to see stage length shown, and class-based PBs when looking at stages.
Some sort of replay recording feature would be nice. Not necessarily "upload to youtube from the game", but just something that would dump a full quality render of the footage into a file in your Videos folder.

Really enjoying this so far though! I look forward to seeing how this progresses!

I love the stages, sound and graphics.

Co driver is not so bad too. :p

And i like some RWD Cars, not more.

Eplehuset said:
I love that it's pure rally. No more Gymkhana, strippers, or other weird american culture.
Strippers aren't weird, they are just people like you and me.

The direction you are going with all aspects is great, going in the right direction with stage width/difficult/length, right direction with simplicity of menus gameplay, right direction with physics, very nice car range. Sound and visuals are nailed and dont need improovment but the rest can be taken further, please do!  Much appreciation for the direction this is heading.

So far I like the stages and the sound a lot, also the car interiors. Car handling feels pretty good in places but also a bit off in others.

I would like to see in the future more realism like headlight/wiper controls, muddy windscreen, more mechanical issues (like how you can get flat tyres but also things like broken suspension, steering, engine damage etc).
Better force feedback, better replay camera controls.
No mouse control in menus is frustrating as is replacing onscreen keyboard controls with wheel controls (asking me to press button (17) isn't very helpful, I have to minimise game and look in wheels control panel to find right button).
The system used for vehicle recovery is inconsistent, sometimes I can drive off road for 10 seconds and then it auto puts me back in place but I cant use recovery button, other times I can use recovery button instantly after leaving the road even to avoid an impact. I would maybe remove the button entirely but keep in place a 10 second countdown for going off track that auto resets you at the end without an additional time penalty.

I love the detail in the pacenotes and the incredible stages, graphics and sound. And i love the handling of the FWD cars, it's a blast to drive that Mini. Furthermore i really like the way you can fine tune your settings in advanced setup mode. It's a big step up to the limited options provided in previous dirt games. In case you guys have yet to go to Germany for reference material of the upcoming stages i would love to come around and have a little chat.

played trough steam family sharing, and would say that career needs a difficulty changer, and those first cars are realy junk to drive. game looks good. but at this state i would not buy the game

its all mint!....... except the FFB, replay cams! and OR support

seriously though, im stunned how good this is. it has depth ontop of depth, just keeps getting better the more i play, 

stages are superb, although you need to move away from reusing sections for different stages

the audio is stunning, at times i get flashback of being stood in a cold wet welsh forest waiting for col, carlos and the rest of the boys to come hammering through

graphics are very good, needs more effects when hitting puddles mind, lighting is amazing, from mid day clear to snowing at night, spot on!

the handling engine is sublime, yes theres too much grip by default but that can be changed easy enough if you know where to look ;)

and theres more to come! wooooow hahahahaa

fix the stupid replay cams and rubbish FFB :)