Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiRT Rally - 1 Week in - Tell us what you love.

I love the narrow stages, and the enhanced topography.
I love the challenges being back, similar to what was in DiRT 2.
I love the feel of the mud and ice, as well as the weather and time of day on the stages.
Those are big improvements over the previous versions.

I love the league system, but wish it paid out credits.
We're having a problem getting everyone to participate because, with a limited amount of time to play, running career events and daily challenges is more rewarding than the league events, so people gravitate to those instead.

My only issue with the game, at this point, is the FFB being so much worse than DiRT 2.
The series had some of the best FFB, during the DiRT 2 era, and has been moving away from that as the new versions have come out.
I don't know what exactly has been changed, but the FFB in DiRT 2 relayed so much more information about the car than what's been included in DiRT Rally, especially around the center of wheel travel.

I want some improvements for inputlag, fps stability. Error 41......
Need better ffb and play all the cars with same wheel config.

More realistic gravel and tarmac surfaces grips.

The way habe been great with codies

Stages, you've made a great work game with them (specially wales, i love it). And sounds are great too, i love hearing the turbo's valve opening. The menu is good too, very useful.

Rally school!  Dirtfish, its got Dirt in it already :wink: , or Higgins Rally school in Wales or something.  It may straighten up a lot of peoples complaints, if they are taught how to drive.  I need some coaching, too, and probably have some bad habits.

Honestly there are a few small complaints here and there that Im not going to repeat, but once in the race itself, its just incredible!  

gfRally said:
Rally school!  Dirtfish, its got Dirt in it already :wink: , or Higgins Rally school in Wales or something.  It may straighten up a lot of peoples complaints, if they are taught how to drive.  I need some coaching, too, and probably have some bad habits.

Honestly there are a few small complaints here and there that Im not going to repeat, but once in the race itself, its just incredible!  
I agree a rally school style intro to begin your career would be a good idea, even for us who think we're fairly decent at rallying

I like pretty much everything. Just wished you'd unlock everything for the Custom Event mode.

Group B cars :)
I love the way Codemasters are starting to tune their games into truly next generation Racing Sims..
The attention to detail is superb. If F1 2015 is like this, I will buy it.

THE GAME!!!

But seriously, well done Codemasters, keep it up!!

The ethos and sim approach to the game is just what was needed. Still some work to be done but that is to be expected. This game is already better than a lot of 'finished' games out there.

Pure stage rally racing with pace notes.  Looks great and the locations so far available are cool.  Basically what I've been waiting for since CM4.

Very nicely done guys :smile: If you fix the FFB i.e give it some road texture feedback,...I'm good to go. And if you don't put the Dirt1 version of Pikes Peak in the Hill Climb section,...I will be extremely disappointed. Don't forget the Suzuki and Celica for the climb :smiley: 

I loved racing trucks up the hill,..so make it an add on. Or,...all cars on all tracks would be immense!

So far i really like this game. 

Been wating for a good rally sim, theres a few things that can be improved but its already been said in the forums. FFB is the most important one atm ;) but i guess that one has been made clear already.
I love that its punishing and rewards good driving. It feels so good when u finally nail that one corner :D 

Im very impressed so far and im having a blast playing this. 

Great game! Although I love DiRT2 for it's more arcade racing fun in different classes,DiRT rally takes me back to the no nonsense game that was Colin McRae Rally on the playstation 1.It is not difficult to race and get a top 3 finish,but it's hard enough to win.It looks and feels great and has the thrills of rally driving with the damage that could end your race.Damage is not that harsh and your allowed to make mistakes,so it's luckily not too frustarating.Stages are long enough and are challenging enough because you can't afford to loose focus.Colin McRae would approve.  Looking forward for more and more and more...

"When in doubt,flat out"

Can I say what I hate ?

Now I understand why so many people actually have a problem with the clutch for those that have fanatec wheels, on my porsche turbo s wheel, If I get the latest firmware, I actually get the goddamn problem since they change the clutch axis name (it's now numbered axis 0 instead of Axis 1)

good thing that there is actually the stock firmware on their website...

the best part is the racing stages. they are proper rallye stages, narrow and full of danger. That with combination of going back to roots - true rallye sim game - makes this a game with huge potential

I love:

- sound (although some vehicles as the Lancia Delta S4 are not properly done yet - dominating supercharger whine is entirely missing)
- stage design (beautiful and demanding, yet too short to represent real rally stages)
- pace notes (very solid effort would need a bit more adjustment in timing, depending on which type of car is used)
- general graphics options (but needs A LOT of optimization for triple screen users, as it is VERY demanding on the PC hardware at proper triple screen resolution)
- car selection for the first effort (nice selection of cars, I hope it will be expanded further with missing classic Rally, Group B, Kit Cars, Group A cars, classic 90' and 2000' cars)
- nicely designed UI (needs a lot of optimization as many things are spread over several different menu, some options are difficult to find, etc …, navigation needs currently a mix of mapped steering wheel controls AND keyboard shortcuts to use, it should be made so it can be FULLY navigated by either steering wheel controls, keyboard, mouse and not forcing a mix of controls necessary to use)

I hate:

- Force Feedback (or lack thereof)
- steering wheel implementations and support of hardware (I think Codemasters underestimated the currently used hardware by the community and mainly focussed on game pad support and MARGINAL steering wheel support)
- graphics settings although should be running perfectly on my current hardware can only be run barely al overall LOW settings in triple screen setup to achieve ~50-60 FPS (which is barely fluid enough for a Rally Sim) needs a lot of optimization to enjoy adequate graphics effects with above average image quality

comment:

I have very high hopes for Dirt Rally to develop into a full fledged, serious Rally Simulator with realistic physics, realistic tires, realistic representation of a full rally event with all aspects.
Rally fans have waited a long, long time for something to take this place since the last great effort with Richard Burns Rally.
Codemasters do have the opportunity with hard and serious work to please such a community if their effort is serious about providing a SIMULATION rather than just another Dirt game.

I would rather look forward to see Dirt Rally to stay for the long haul, also to make it economically viable to support it with long term content look into DLC package content for sale (not free) to undertake the Dirt Rally support for a long term in a financially viable fashion (a big issue with past Codemasters efforts was "half finished" product with a big lack of continued support and improvement, hence a steep fall of a cliff in terms of user base interest after the first hype.

Look into simulators as RFactor, SimBin's GTR racing series, nowadays Assetto Corsa, etc … how community interest is kept over many, many years of using the software (and willing potential paying customers for additional good quality content).

Having a blast with the game, longer stages are great, would like to feel the ffb around the center, other than that really enjoying it

I love how realistic and challenging it is. So addictive, probably because you can fail spectacularly at any moment.

I bought this game one week ago and I still cannot play because of error 41! So when we can have some fix please???

What i love:
- Great stages, nice variety and length.
- Love that you can chose different settings for each stage.
- Nice graphics
- Good car selection so far
- Good menu music and engine sounds.
- If i use the following FFB file, and overwrite the original with it: 
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ffb-tweak-no-void.104688/
The FFB feels quite good, gravel and mud textures are well done, as in you feel the bite of dry gravel (Greece) and the wheels sliding away on the more muddy stages (Wales). Only Tarmac feels way off, the wheel feels heavy all of a sudden and sliding around corners is very difficult.
So like others have said already, there is definitely a good physics model underneath, it just needs to be worked on so it is brought to the foreground by correcting it in some areas.

Is nice to drive ... but my Fanatec Clubsport V1 Pedals and Accuforce steering wheel were not recognised properly.  Got them both working good enough using a profile made by a user on simxperience website.

However my Clutch is still not recognised in game and no option to assign it in the settings. This is really important to fix asap.

Other things not working is the implementation of Oculus Rift,  I realise it is a work in progress but it is rendering in 2D on the Rift when it should be in stereoscopic 3D.  Assetto Corsa mucked this up too on release but fixed it promptly. Please get the devs to fix this soon-ish.

Keep going with all other aspects as this is the best Rally game imho for such a looooong time ! Good on you guys for making it early access. Coming from Project Cars where I bought in back in 2011, I say this is the way of games dev for the future, especially racing titles.

I love how I feel my tires digging in the gravel finding grip while the back end steps out  of hairpins in the RWD cars!

I love the crowds in the stages.(well I actually didn't notice them until I watched my recording, too busy driving)

bogani said:

I love the crowds in the stages.(well I actually didn't notice them until I watched my recording, too busy driving)

I notice all kinds of things I don't notice when watching the replays, crowd, fence posts, gates, those logs laid on the ground in the sweeping left hander on Sweet Lamb

Love: the menu music (slick), car and environment sounds, graphics, handling, the change in car handling between different surfaces within same stage, pace notes (on normal speed these are spot on 99% of the time, late on some occasions), career difficulty, tough varied stages, no flashbacks (don't bring them back please), you're listening to your customer base.

Not so much: FFB (gamepad fine but wheel is flimsy), screen freeze on loading stages or moving onto 3rd stage without running repairs (inevitable freeze), no FOV adjustability, no hardcore mode with realistic damage, steering wheel movement seems twitchy at times.

Amazing effort so far. Please keep it up.