1.10 and analog Handbrake

Well I have tried it myself and after having set deadzone to 5% and saturation to 150%, as suggested by @bn880, I would say it is quite an improvement. 
Still not perfect but a lot better than before @orangejuiced83 at least for my personal user experience. 

On 10/30/2019 at 6:04 PM, bn880 said:

Well it's definitely not digital and not a button anymore.  The changes are significant, but not perfect, here is what I wrote in Discord to clarify:

The HB is working better now, in the sense that;
- the input reporting slider seems accurate in showing what the game thinks is happening with the HB.
- Setting a saturation of 150% is now allowing the car to launch. And adding that extra 50% saturation does scale the input and thus the force of the HB in the simulation.
- So the analog range is improved by another 50%.

Certainly it's not perfect as you're still locking wheels in an R2 at around 45% of the range of the linear HB (tarmac, spain, softs, balanced car) . Would probably need more adjustment range (with another approach no doubt to scale the force)(edited)

Summary: It's much improved . Full range of adjustment - not yet

Set your saturation to 150%, deadzone to maybe 5% (your preference based on your hardware), and enjoy an analog HB up to about 50% (so I'd say it's half way there!)

Thank you @bn880 🙂 Works ok for me now yet still not perfect but a lot better than before !

1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

Well I have tried it myself and after having set deadzone to 5% and saturation to 150%, as suggested by @bn880, I would say it is quite an improvement. 
Still not perfect but a lot better than before @orangejuiced83 at least for my personal user experience. 

Unfortunately I haven't been able to try it yet but I'm happy to hear another positive opinion after all. Anyway, it would be nice if they worked on it a little more to give us back that feedback of a perfectly working peripheral. Cheers mate.

What are you all using for an analog handbrake (please don't say clutch pedal) I have a logitech wheel and I would love a good hand brake (so I can get my shifter flappy paddle back)

38 minutes ago, NateFink said:

What are you all using for an analog handbrake (please don't say clutch pedal) I have a logitech wheel and I would love a good hand brake (so I can get my shifter flappy paddle back)

I have a DSD Type 2 Hydraulic Handbrake, fantastic feedback but, I must admit, the price is quite exaggerated. An equally valid alternative would be a Heusinkveld Sim Handbrake, a load cell handbrake. I do not know the feedback of the Thrustmaster TSS BRAKE Sparco mod (compatible with all consoles, keep this in mind) but someone in the forum can let you know about the validity. Otherwise, you could even build it yourself, a handbrake identical to mine at about half the price. On YouTube you will find various guides. Just a little of manual skill is needed but it is really feasible. All the handbrakes I mentioned work exclusively for PC, don't forget it. Except for the Thrustmaster of course.

Edited by orangejuiced83

On 10/30/2019 at 10:55 PM, bn880 said:

AFAIKThere was a big simulation model change and input code change, and the result is this.  But anyway, it's not bad now, in my tests so far.

Who cares?

So you are insisting that the game has been released a year too early?

do you really think that properly implementing input range is a rocket science? Did you noticed they are not even year late, but attempted to implement basic thing twice and failed. It's really sad. 

BTW steering wheel range also doesn't work as should does, requiring changing axis saturation for each car.

10 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Who cares?

So you are insisting that the game has been released a year too early?

do you really think that properly implementing input range is a rocket science? Did you noticed they are not even year late, but attempted to implement basic thing twice and failed. It's really sad. 

BTW steering wheel range also doesn't work as should does, requiring changing axis saturation for each car.

The person who asked a different question cares, and possibly others, I just answered the question.

The rest I just am not getting into, it's another subject.

21 hours ago, NateFink said:

I bought a cheap one and it is actually the first I have tried. https://www.banggood.com/nl/USB-USB-Handbrake-Lever-SIM-Wihtout-Clamp-For-Racing-PC-Games-G252729-T500-T300-FANATECOSW-DIRT-RALLY-p-1450924.html?gmcCountry=NL&currency=EUR&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgs&utm_content=frank&utm_campaign=ssc-nl-all-1008&ad_id=388372669093&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7I6t3PrN5QIVweF3Ch1EQgjrEAQYASABEgLQovD_BwE&ID=513344&cur_warehouse=CN

Since I have no terms of comparisons I would say that it is doing its job but I have no idea how a top of the shelf hb is performing 😞

On 11/2/2019 at 10:21 AM, NateFink said:

I'm using a Fanatec V1.5, it's not good at all due to mechanical design problems, essentially it's junk after 200h of rallying.  I have heard everyone who bought the $100 China HB is happy, and to me the mechanical and electronic design looks very good with HAL sensor and not a Potentiometer, and a steel axle, unlike the fanatec one.

Edited by bn880

Been back to dirt rally 1 and tested the analog handbrake which works perfectly, I do believe that dirt rally 2.0  now has a analog handbrake but the settings are so far off it’s as good as being digital in the form it is now, the only way I could feel a difference was going to the absolute extreme and setting saturation at 150% and dead zone at something silly like 98 which according to the input slider meant that a full pull on the handbrake gave me 4% and at this it was noticeable in game that the handbrake wasn’t being applied fully and in turn wasn’t locking the rear wheels, so in essence the handbrake is analog but in its current form is useless, I know others are having better results but for me personally on Xbox one x using a thrustmaster tss I feel like we need to be able to massively increase the saturation so We get something like 10% at full pull of the handbrake because it seems like it’s only the first few % that make any difference

Why do we have to change dead zone and saturation of the handbrake for it to work correctly?

I use Fanatec Handbrake V1.5. I don't change any settings like dead zone and saturation in game. Pulling the handbrake just a little bit locks up the rear wheel. It seems that nothing has changed in terms of handbrake between 1.9 and 1.10 update.

On 10/31/2019 at 12:35 AM, Evo8uk said:

It was on the dirt fish free Roam in dry conditions with the R2 fiesta and also the 1995 Impreza.

Just tried that in the R2, and there is definitely an analog range there as well.  It's just lower grip than Spain.   150% sat and 5% DZ.

Of course it would be better to have a proper adjustment on the force of the brake, so we could have more control.  But it's not a requirement that an analog HB only locks at 95% pull.

Edited by bn880

I’m not expecting it to lock the wheels at 95% but on the other hand it shouldn’t lock the wheels within the first few % either! Hopefully they can look at how dirt rally handles the analog handbrake and make some adjustments to be closer to that, I know it’s a newer game and handles things differently but it definitely needs looking and I’m sure it’s just a case of some fine tuning.

• Agree 3

Would be nice for some feedback from someone at codemasters on their thoughts on this!

• Like 2

Not from me, no.

This thread has been active for a while though, and I'm sure it's been seen 🙂 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Not from me, no.

This thread has been active for a while though, and I'm sure it's been seen 🙂 

I hope too because, in practice, even with the 1.10 update, little has changed.

Edited by orangejuiced83
  • Agree 1

Disappointing. Something(very useful in a rally) that was in DR, is still missing in DR 2.0 10 months after release.

CM, what are you guys doing?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

New patch next week! Nothing in the patch notes regarding this,hopefully there is a fix in there somewhere!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Evo8uk said:

New patch next week! Nothing in the patch notes regarding this,hopefully there is a fix in there somewhere!

Chances are there won't be any fix about it. Otherwise they'll mention it in the patch note, unless they don't admit they did some false/fake announcement in 1.10 patch note.

• Agree 1

Most likely the 50% analog range possible now is considered enough by them...   but man, if they release future seasons/content in 2020, maybe they should reconsider this (and TBH also the clutch nanny).  These are the basic/core aspects of the game/sim.  The driving bits.

Edited by bn880

On 12/6/2019 at 2:12 PM, bn880 said:

Most likely the 50% analog range possible now is considered enough by them...

Are we joking? A feature so necessary and they stop halfway? I am speechless..

If this is true I will never buy a Codemasters game again (and the newly acquired Slightly Mad Studios). What incompetence, oh my god!

Edited by orangejuiced83