Jämsä, Finland – Available Now in DiRT Rally 2.0

3 hours ago, Tranzitive said:

I think he meant bump... Slow bump, fast bump. But yeah i was also confused by his post at first. But important to remember not everyone speaks English as a first language and some things don't translate well from one language to another. 

I don't mind the fog in Finland personally. But i have also experienced that weird flash of light someone mentioned in an earlier post. On PS4 Pro so it's not Xbox exclusive. 

pretty sure I understood what he was talking about. I'm just not good at explaining tuning lol

The Ford R5 is still much too low even at maximum height. After every jump the car hits the floor.
The "Fast Bump" is the right setting, because the suspension is usually pressed in quickly after a jump? If you adjust the springs on the other hand, it affects both the "Slow Bump" and the "Fast Bump". And on the rebound as well. One cannot turn off the function of a spring, but only prevent an additional amplification by the "Slow Bump, Fast Bump" setting, i.e. set it to -5, or even further amplify +5. In any case, I understand it that way, but I am not an expert either.
But all that doesn't matter, because the settings of slow- and fastbump seem like a useless placebo to me. Can you prove that the setting does something?
Many setup settings in DR1 are pure fake. DR2 is much better at setup, but I still think "Bump" is fake. Or the effect is so small that it's useless.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PaulNbg said:

The Ford R5 is still much too low even at maximum height. After every jump the car hits the floor.
The "Fast Bump" is the right setting, because the suspension is usually pressed in quickly after a jump? If you adjust the springs on the other hand, it affects both the "Slow Bump" and the "Fast Bump". And on the rebound as well. One cannot turn off the function of a spring, but only prevent an additional amplification by the "Slow Bump, Fast Bump" setting, i.e. set it to -5, or even further amplify +5. In any case, I understand it that way, but I am not an expert either.
But all that doesn't matter, because the settings of slow- and fastbump seem like a useless placebo to me. Can you prove that the setting does something?
Many setup settings in DR1 are pure fake. DR2 is much better at setup, but I still think "Bump" is fake. Or the effect is so small that it's useless.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

If you are on PC You can use https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/racetrack-data-acquisition-rda.26829/

And analyze the logs in MoTeC.  there you can see if slow/fast bump is making a difference if you repeat your tests.

On 11/11/2019 at 1:30 PM, PJTierney said:

@HoksuHoo I'll ask regarding the fog.

Thanks PJ; I'm really disappointed with this, it's ruining the otherwise superb location for me - if I'm told it's a necessary compromise then I'll be frustrated by the fog-free preview screens that are impossible to recreate but will move on and be more careful to check video next time - if it's a design decision then I really hope it can be reviewed.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Conditions: "Mid Day Forest Fire"   

Edited by bn880
  • Haha 4
  • Agree 2

B-b-b-but promotional images always look better! I didn't even notice it!

Seriously though, still waiting for CM to say something about it. They dropped the ball with a fan-favorite location, Finland is way below standard as it is, what they could do now is admit that and say they intend to fix it.

• Agree 3

On 11/15/2019 at 1:57 AM, bn880 said:

Conditions: "Mid Day Forest Fire"   

Are you playing on PSP? This gfx is comical 😮 😄

11 hours ago, mesa said:

Are you playing on PSP? This gfx is comical 😮 😄

@Cortextual  over to you to clarify if you wish

1 hour ago, bn880 said:

@Cortextual  over to you to clarify if you wish

Lol, what can I say man, graphics are set up how I want them.

(Forest Fire - Ultra)

Edited by Cortextual
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

This is not my video, but I will just leave it here. Codemasters, please clean this forest fire smoke and make Finland look at least like in original DiRT Rally! 🙏

Edited by Tigron
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Wow, that video shows it perfectly. Please fix this Codies, or at least present an explanation as to why this is the case.

That video also shows off some of the physics improvements nicely BTW.

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Agree 4

I played 1 and then 2 immediately and graphics in 2 looked much better. It's possible they needed some performance. But you can't call clear day that one 😄 It's normal foggy morning.

To be honest this doesn't seem related to performance.  I think the fog/haze actually adds processing overhead more than anything else.  It's mostly just a few of the lighting options that are doing this.

• Agree 1

On 11/11/2019 at 3:30 PM, PJTierney said:

I'll ask regarding the fog.

Already asked?
What was answer?

This continues until you give us some info, is fog at Finland to stay or is there possibility it will be removed from clear day weather?

How about rain at Finland, possible?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MJV1973 said:

Already asked?

Yes.

What was answer?

They'll look into it. Don't want to give further details until I have something conclusive that I can say.

This continues until you give us some info

No need to go all Jack Bauer on me 😉 

How about rain at Finland, possible?

Technically, probably.

Chance of happening, unlikely (my opinion, not an official "stance" or anything).

Team's working on many things right now, like Season 4 content and Version 1.11 update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Technically, probably.

Chance of happening, unlikely (my opinion, not an official "stance" or anything).

Team's working on many things right now, like Season 4 content and Version 1.11 update.

Why was rain even left out in the first place? It rains here quite a lot, DR1 Finland had rain, there is one weather option with wet surface, so it seems a very strange omission.

If the team have too much to do then here's a suggestion: postpone the rest of Season 4 until Finland has been fixed. Sure, it wouldn't be too nice to players who are awaiting Lydden Hill and 2019 supercars but then releasing this badly flawed and unfinished Finland wasn't very nice either to players who want to drive Rally Finland.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, HoksuHoo said:

If the team have too much to do then here's a suggestion

Team has too much hunger for money, it's absolutely clear for me - maybe becouse sales are poorer than expected or idk. Season 4 must go on to be sold. Also, GRID came out of nowhere and many people reviewed it as "good but seems almost like unfinished". IMO Codies are to small to focus on so many projects simultaneously and here we are. For me finland is good, I'm glad of having it like it is instead of not at all, but this fog and lack of rain is frustrating. It just came to my mind - maybe it's limitation becouse consoles weren't able to maintain framerate?

5 hours ago, Pioy said:

It just came to my mind - maybe it's limitation becouse consoles weren't able to maintain framerate?

I wonder how consoles are able to maintain framerate on dusk and sunset then? I wonder how consoles are able to maintain framerate on other locations? Doesn't add up, and besides even if it was true it would not justify making daytime look this awful, there a lot better ways to increase framerate. Also afaik consoles were able to maintain framerate in the same stages in DR1, improving road texture and such while also adding a terrible looking fog is kind of bass-ackwards.

Maybe it's just me but I would far rather have waited a while to get a complete, polished, good-looking Finland with lots of weather options. These "release incomplete, fix later if ever" kind of releases are not only a terrible way to treat customers who have not signed up to be beta testers but have bought what is supposed to be a finished product, but also we don't know if this will ever be fixed, we could be stuck permanently with this frustrating fog and lack of rain. The more you play, the more frustrating it gets.

Edited by HoksuHoo
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Don't want to give further details until I have something conclusive that I can say.

Thanks for reply!
You don´t want to say anything which is not confirmed, however you said there will be not rain and that´s your personal opinion.

When you look weather conditions at base game rallyes, there´s almost every possible variations.
I think CM gave too little time to dev team finish DLCs.

I like Finland and love whole game, played video games something like 40 years and spent most time with this title.
Hope this kind of game earn it will be polished to final stage, maby after season 4 is done there could be enough time to make it happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, HoksuHoo said:

I wonder how consoles are able to maintain framerate on dusk and sunset then? I wonder how consoles are able to maintain framerate on other locations?

They don't - well not on X1X with 4K mode switched on. Putting the headlights on during either of those two times of day causes noticeable framerate drops and super bad screen tearing. Strange thing is, if you play the game using the patch-free day one version (install from disc, play offline) then frame drops are negligible and the screen tearing is non-existent, so whilst other aspects of the game may have improved thru the process of patching, somewhere along the lines overall performance has dipped.

But that and Finland (which ironically I never liked anyway) aside, everything else that has migrated from DR1 has been pretty decent and has made Dirt Rally 2 a much, much better game so there cannot be too many complaints. Although I have uninstalled Finland it's purely on the grounds that i'm still trying to win masters class and am already trying to exclude Poland and (less importantly) Spain from the random selections so I don't really want a third one throwing into the mix.

21 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Technically, probably.

Season 4 content should be kinda done at this point. Tracks are already preloaded. The cars are updates of cars already ingame, so shouldn't be as much work as it is from scratch.

So I'd say team is working on year 2 content ! :classic_cool:
(or GRID dlcs, or Dirt Rally 3.0...)

Maybe I'm wrong, but it won't be much work to add one weather / daytime. Wet shaders already exist, they just have to tweak the actual foggy midday setup and make it darker. Or eventually use another rain skybox like the one for Spain...
This and a dawn setup for Wales would be greatly apreciated. :classic_love:

Edited by toninus
  • Agree 1