Jämsä, Finland – Available Now in DiRT Rally 2.0

I wondered too if the team has 2 people 😄 It's not about we'll get anything free because it was paid already. Would be nice to have new polishing DLC without any new content but fixing everything. The game is great and could stay with us for many years.

Three weeks from release now. Any news? When will the botched foggy daytime be fixed? When will some weather options like rain be added?

• Agree 2

Seriously?? Nothing at all to fix Finland in 1.11 patch??

edit: right, a real "haha" Johnnn and ianism. I'm just dying of laughter about Finland remaining broken, so hilarious

Edited by HoksuHoo
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

Have to agree with the sentiment above.

Finland is still 'Bushfire Finland'.

It's absolutely terrible, and I can not understand this type of design decision. No word at all as to whether it will ever change, either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 12/5/2019 at 8:57 AM, HoksuHoo said:

Seriously?? Nothing at all to fix Finland in 1.11 patch??

edit: right, a real "haha" Johnnn and ianism. I'm just dying of laughter about Finland remaining broken, so hilarious

they have not said whether they would fix change (it's not broken, it's just not the way we want it to be) it. thus, for you to assume (or even hope) that it would be changed in v1.11 is laughable 

• Disagree 1

For me, it's very funny because @HoksuHoo is right but nobody cared. It could be better later but actually pretty funny 😄 What else we can do...

7 hours ago, Deltone91 said:

@PJTierney

is it in plans to add rain to Finland?

I believe it was discussed.

I don’t know the outcome however and won’t until January at the earliest.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ianism said:

they have not said whether they would fix change (it's not broken, it's just not the way we want it to be) it. thus, for you to assume (or even hope) that it would be changed in v1.11 is laughable 

They have not said anything meaningful about Finland DLC but considering it obviously should be a high-priority task to fix it and it's been 5 weeks it's hardly that unreasonable to hope a patch might include something.

Not really interested in arguing semantics but daytime is so badly botched it makes me want to not play it at all, it looks so awful that it's location-breaking

Still waiting. Will the next patch contain anything that improves this horrible foggy mess? The Grand Prix of Rallying deserves a lot better than this. Dirt Rally 2.0 Finland is a disgrace.20200107133448_1.thumb.jpg.4edc0be0937263b8f1c2274d46c28d7c.jpg

Codemasters have not even properly acknowledged Finland being in a terrible state, let alone explained why it happened, apologised, or said they inted to fix it. How about taking some responsibility for your work like professionals do?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

The Finland Fog (tm) is the new 'night rain noodles' of DR2.0

Codemasters should I believe acknowledge this issue, especially as their promotional screenshots do not have the fog and are arguably misleading.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Hello everyone, asked around and got some info on the "fog" effect seen in some locations (most notably Finland).

• This visual effect in particular is by design and set as such for performance reasons.
  • We do not plan to change this in a future update.
  • We are however adding the ability to select Rain when taking part in Events at Finland. This will come in Version 1.12.

Noice! Glad to see rain coming to Finland.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Hello everyone, asked around and got some info on the "fog" effect seen in some locations (most notably Finland).

• This visual effect in particular is by design and set as such for performance reasons.
  • We are however adding the ability to select Rain when taking part in Events at Finland. This will come in Version 1.12.

Really disappointed in this (especially when the preview images look so good without it), but thanks for the confirmation - appreciate you looking into it. Will leave this 'uninstalled' on mine then 😞. Not even a chance for it to be an option? I'd happily remove a bunch of post-processing effects in order to have fog-free Finland.

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

Really disappointed in this (especially when the preview images look so good without it), but thanks for the confirmation - appreciate you looking into it.

Will leave this 'uninstalled' on mine then 😞. Not even a chance for it to be an option? I'd happily remove a bunch of post-processing effects in order to have fog-free Finland.

Can't go into much detail as it's not my area of expertise but from what I understand there's a tradeoff in performance if the effect is toned down or disabled.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Thank you for this PJ.

The promotional shots are misleading, and ought to have been accurate.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

You know this fog effect has the slight drawback that it makes daytime Finland looks absolutely horrible? Completely unrealistic, makes the game look like puke, and in some places you can't see even see the road on "clear" weather while racing at high speed. So as far as visual design choices go it's as bad as it gets. Even Codemasters themselves think it looks horrible, hence the fake screenshots without the fog. Your visual effect is so bad you are too ashamed to show it in screenshots, and yet decide all players must suffer it. Just, wow.

Performance reasons???? How is it possible that these exact same stages ran just fine in Dirt Rally without the fog? What the hell has happened that makes an enormous graphical downgrade to Finland necessary? PC's and consoles magically become too weak to run Dirt Rally, or something? Please do explain.

You seriously cannot think of any better way to downgrade it graphically for performance reasons? Some way that doesn't make it look like puke? Downgrade textures, assets, post-processing, draw distances? Leaving it graphically untouched from DR1 where it looked far better? The blatant vegetation popup in Poland is bad enough but even that would be great compared to this. Adding a horrible looking fog isn't really the right way to increase performance.

So basically daytime Finland is ruined forever and won't ever be fixed. Effing brilliant. To think I actually liked Codemasters once

Edited by HoksuHoo
  • Like 1

Lol, I was actually right, the fog effect is becouse sh***y consoles has to handle the game, and won't be allowed to turn off on PCs becouse "everybody has to have the same" bulls**t talking. Yet still, I'm happy rain is about to come to finland (however I predict it will be connected fog or some other effect that lowers view/draw distance even more, as rain is heavy itself).

Codies, where you have lost your balls?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoksuHoo said:

You know this fog effect has the slight drawback that it makes daytime Finland looks absolutely horrible? Completely unrealistic, makes the game look like puke, and in some places you can't see even see the road on "clear" weather while racing at high speed. So as far as visual design choices go it's as bad as it gets. Even Codemasters themselves think it looks horrible, hence the fake screenshots without the fog. Your visual effect is so bad you are too ashamed to show it in screenshots, and yet decide all players must suffer it. Just, wow.

Performance reasons???? How is it possible that these exact same stages ran just fine in Dirt Rally without the fog? What the hell has happened that makes an enormous graphical downgrade to Finland necessary? PC's and consoles magically become too weak to run Dirt Rally, or something? Please do explain.

You seriously cannot think of any better way to downgrade it graphically for performance reasons? Some way that doesn't make it look like puke? Downgrade textures, assets, post-processing, draw distances? Leaving it graphically untouched from DR1 where it looked far better? The blatant vegetation popup in Poland is bad enough but even that would be great compared to this. Adding a horrible looking fog isn't really the right way to increase performance.

So basically daytime Finland is ruined forever and won't ever be fixed. Effing brilliant. To think I actually liked Codemasters once

I'm disappointed by this and especially in the preview shots looking so different to the reality, to the point where I'm actively taking Finland out of my game, but this point I'll highlight to say I think it's fair that the two games process it differently.

DR2 is a step up over DR1 in many graphical and physics areas (the latter being why I'm so disappointed not to get these stages in their full glory) and each new environment with a DR1 equivalent has completely new textures and lighting, so it's not a surprise that they run differently.

With confirmation that it's performance reasons, what I'm most frustrated by is not having the option to tweak my graphics settings to prioritise a fog-free Finland over other effects that I may care less about.

2 hours ago, Pioy said:

Lol, I was actually right, the fog effect is becouse sh***y consoles has to handle the game, and won't be allowed to turn off on PCs becouse "everybody has to have the same" bulls**t talking. Yet still, I'm happy rain is about to come to finland (however I predict it will be connected fog or some other effect that lowers view/draw distance even more, as rain is heavy itself).

It depends. I hope consoles are much more important to devs because it's much easier to develop there and you earn much more money from them. If I understand the trend correctly, consoles are the most important and if some version is able to run on PC you can release it there too 😄 It's like famous Rockstar games PC releases. Consoles versions are almost flawless and PC versions are usually pretty crappy.

But I like it I don't care about PC too much. If new Xbox brings 120 FPS I won't buy any new gaming PC probably.

Oh yeah, and which console are you actually playing with awesome 30 FPS and a gamepad?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Johnnnn said:

It depends. I hope consoles are much more important to devs because it's much easier to develop there and you earn much more money from them. If I understand the trend correctly, consoles are the most important and if some version is able to run on PC you can release it there too 😄 It's like famous Rockstar games PC releases. Consoles versions are almost flawless and PC versions are usually pretty crappy.

But I like it I don't care about PC too much. If new Xbox brings 120 FPS I won't buy any new gaming PC probably.

Let consoles have their flawless version with fog and give the option to the pc version to disable it. Solved.

Edited by somethingthing