DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

Jämsä, Finland – Available Now in DiRT Rally 2.0

6 minutes ago, Pioy said:

Oh yeah, and which console are you actually playing with awesome 30 FPS and a gamepad?

60 FPS and 4K. Fog is necessary! 😄

6 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

Let consoles have their flawless version with fog and give the option to the pc version to disable it. Solved.

Who would pay it?

Posted (edited)
Just now, Johnnnn said:

60 FPS and 4K. Fog is necessary! 😄

Who would pay it?

Pay for it? I assume they save the code every now and then and when they took the printscreens that they "sold" to us they didnt have the fog. _That_ Finland must be on some harddrive somewhere.

Edited by somethingthing

2 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

Pay for it? I assume they save the code every now and then and when they took the printscreens that they "sold" to us they didnt have the fog. _That_ Finland must be on some harddrive somewhere.

Photos are a good argument! If it wasn't a fake it could be prepared in the game. Maybe it doesn't work in motion 😄 Some special photo mode for finding victims. Hard to say but I thought if you have working Finland you probably don't want to change it for nothing. Maybe it's Sony and MS policy, who knows.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

I'm disappointed by this and especially in the preview shots looking so different to the reality, to the point where I'm actively taking Finland out of my game, but this point I'll highlight to say I think it's fair that the two games process it differently.

DR2 is a step up over DR1 in many graphical and physics areas (the latter being why I'm so disappointed not to get these stages in their full glory) and each new environment with a DR1 equivalent has completely new textures and lighting, so it's not a surprise that they run differently.

With confirmation that it's performance reasons, what I'm most frustrated by is not having the option to tweak my graphics settings to prioritise a fog-free Finland over other effects that I may care less about.

So yeah, they added lots of super high res textures, trees and rocks with lots of tris, super advanced lighting. And then they decided to shove a horrible looking fog into it which makes it run well at the cost of making the entire stage look disgustingly bad. They did such a shoddy job with visually "remastering" Finland that overall graphics quality in daytime is far, far worse than in DR1. Boggles the mind.

I wonder how they managed to get sunset and dusk run well without a pervasive fog, though?

Yes, an option to adjust just how bad the fog effect is, so you can have less fog at the cost of performance, is the very least Codies could do.

Edited by HoksuHoo

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Hello everyone, asked around and got some info on the "fog" effect seen in some locations (most notably Finland).

• This visual effect in particular is by design and set as such for performance reasons.
  • We do not plan to change this in a future update.
  • We are however adding the ability to select Rain when taking part in Events at Finland. This will come in Version 1.12.

@PJTierney, I guess I’m the odd one here, since I like the haze in Finland - reminds me of a really hot summer afternoon here up north. 😊 Glad to hear there is rain coming to Finland as well. 👍🏻

Now, if you guys could add light snow in Sweden or maybe calm the blizzard a bit in daylight in Sweden, it would be great. 😁 I have to abandon the in car view and continue in chase view to be able to play in such conditions. 🙃

Edited by Kjell007
  • Like 2

It's a bizarre outcome for the PC version to feature The Fog tm  , as well as the Xbox One X.

The One X could easily run the game without a performance hit with no fog.

It's a really sad outcome in the 21st century with consoles this powerful, to see forced upon players the most basic graphics technique from the 90s to maintain frame rates. It is so bad in Finland that that rally is unplayably ugly for me (and clearly for others too).

Get your act together Codies. At least have the integrity to release promotional shots of Finland that aren't such a blatant lie. The decision to do otherwise was a total disgrace.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't know how other versions but X had some troubles in some situations so X is very near the edge. All current console are pretty weak so it's a miracle for me to have 4K with 60 FPS on third party game.

8 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

It's a bizarre outcome for the PC version to feature The Fog tm  , as well as the Xbox One X.

The One X could easily run the game without a performance hit with no fog.

It's a really sad outcome in the 21st century with consoles this powerful, to see forced upon players the most basic graphics technique from the 90s to maintain frame rates. It is so bad in Finland that that rally is unplayably ugly for me (and clearly for others too).

Get your act together Codies. At least have the integrity to release promotional shots of Finland that aren't such a blatant lie. The decision to do otherwise was a total disgrace.

Sure, just screw all of the other guys who aren't lucky enough to own a One X or a PS4 Pro. Who cares, right? Ironic that you want to talk about 'integrity'. The fact that Codies released a video with the exact same graphics we have still hasn't changed since the last heated 'discussion' here, so there was no lie. Repeating the same nonsense again and again doesn't make it suddenly true. 

Would I prefer having the same clear weather without the mist? Absolutely. Is it UNPLAYABLE (!!!!!!!)? Absolutely not, on the contrary. It's still very enjoyable, nonetheless, and an absolute blast. 

The wording and exaggerations are so disproportionate, it almost hurts. Definitely next level. 

Edited by richie
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

11 hours ago, richie said:

Sure, just screw all of the other guys who aren't lucky enough to own a One X or a PS4 Pro. Who cares, right? Ironic that you want to talk about 'integrity'. The fact that Codies released a video with the exact same graphics we have still hasn't changed since the last heated 'discussion' here, so there was no lie. Repeating the same nonsense again and again doesn't make it suddenly true. 

Would I prefer having the same clear weather without the mist? Absolutely. Is it UNPLAYABLE (!!!!!!!)? Absolutely not, on the contrary. It's still very enjoyable, nonetheless, and an absolute blast. 

The wording and exaggerations are so disproportionate, it almost hurts. Definitely next level. 

Do the photos have the fog? No? Then it's a lie. The fog was deliberately omitted. 

As for 'unplayable', what I said was it's 'for me unplayably ugly'. It's clearly the same for others here, who are even discussing how to remove Finland completely in another thread. 

The crawling up to Codies is so disproportionate, it almost hurts. Definitely next level. 

• Like 1

Ok so you want to ignore the video and keep repeating they lied to you. They omitted the fog, you had no idea how Finland was going to look like. Fine. 

With that kind of attitude it's no wonder communication with devs and other Codies staff is at a minimum and you guys are actually ruining it for everyone here. Congratulations. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, richie said:

Ok so you want to ignore the video and keep repeating they lied to you. They omitted the fog, you had no idea how Finland was going to look like. Fine. 

With that kind of attitude it's no wonder communication with devs and other Codies staff is at a minimum and you guys are actually ruining it for everyone here. Congratulations. 

I think he's right and lack of communication made it worse. I like Finland and imagine very bad weather every time I race there. But images weren't right at all.

7 hours ago, richie said:

Sorry Richie, I’m a huge supporter of the game but I think the promo shots of Finland are seriously misleading - when that hasn’t been the case for the previous 5 rally location releases, I certainly bought on the basis of the shots that we’d seen posted several times.

As for the video, I’d even seen that but there’s nothing that would suggest the conditions in the video would be the only weather option. 

I’m not suggesting that Codies are lying or set out to deceive, but the promo images I guess were generated (seeing as we saw them at Season 3 announcement blog) before it had completed testing in game and not updated to match the compromised final version.

Also, PJ is doing a great job with comms and they’re at an all time high for the series IMO, so not sure of the link you’re making there.

Anyway, it cost me the price of a sandwich and I’ve gotten plenty of enjoyment (and counting) from the rest of the game, so onwards and upwards - hopefully there’ll be another location in future to make it a nice round 12 in my game!

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

Sorry Richie, I’m a huge supporter of the game but I think the promo shots of Finland are seriously misleading - when that hasn’t been the case for the previous 5 rally location releases, I certainly bought on the basis of the shots that we’d seen posted several times.

As for the video, I’d even seen that but there’s nothing that would suggest the conditions in the video would be the only weather option. 

I’m not suggesting that Codies are lying or set out to deceive, but the promo images I guess were generated (seeing as we saw them at Season 3 announcement blog) before it had completed testing in game and not updated to match the compromised final version.

Also, PJ is doing a great job with comms and they’re at an all time high for the series IMO, so not sure of the link you’re making there.

Anyway, it cost me the price of a sandwich and I’ve gotten plenty of enjoyment (and counting) from the rest of the game, so onwards and upwards - hopefully there’ll be another location in future to make it a nice round 12 in my game!

I wasn't referring to PJ as he obviously is one of the most active people on the forums, but there's almost no communication or interaction with devs, which in my view has very much to do with the toxic and unreasonable way to deal with issues that people well may have with the game. 

I think that's a fair point, nothing was suggesting that the foggy graphics would be the only option we'd have. Wouldn't you have bought it nonetheless because the video was fine and it actually seemed to be a lot of fun? Are the foggy graphics really a reason to shelve it? I don't think so. I'm not Codies' lawyer but attacking people (not referring to you) because they do not agree on the infinite drama is really something else. Finland is not broken, it's not unplayable and nobody has to suffer during the stages. Even the guys in the Forums Club are wondering why they should skip daytime stages because there's absolutely no reason to do so. 

As I said above, I would rather have the clear weather than the bushfire graphics, but it really doesn't take the fun away at all. The drama is so exaggerated. I started to chime in as it really became kind of aggressive and manipulative. Absolutely mind boggling. 

Edited by richie

@richie I agree, there’s plenty of hyperbole here, but fortunately this one is on such a small scale to what we’ve seen here over the last few months!

As for playability, that’s subjective too - I definitely would have thought twice about purchasing if the fog was the only option and I really stopped playing for a bit because I didn’t want it to come up in my career mode (until someone above showed me how to disable it!) - I’d be happy to do it for the odd stage at reduced speed but it’s no fun not ever being able to do a one off full attack in the clear.

I’m not sure if that’s an individual perception thing or maybe it’s down to different folks’ hardware making it better or worse on some systems, all I know is that I enjoy the game more without the current version of the Finnish stages in it. Which is a pity, but not the end of the world - just more time to spend on the other 11 superb locations.

As far as I can see, the only one generating 'infinite drama' @richie is yourself.

The fog sucks bad, the promo pictures were misleading. Fact, fact. 

@PJTierney I hope you can see there's enough consternation over this fog, that it warrants an effort to at least reduce its intensity in Finland, and bring it in line with other stages. 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

I added this to another thread in the suggestions board, but it's worth throwing here as well:

It's so bad. Side by side, looking at DR2 is a little bit nauseating. No-one would prefer to play on that.

Whoever was directing the technical artistry either didn't do their job well by letting this continue development, or needed to push back harder on higher-ups just wanting to get it out the door. 

Edited by XenialJ
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Just goes to show that graphical fidelity alone is utterly worthless (or rather, extremely counterproductive in this case) if you muck up the visual style and overall looks. Low fidelity with clear, realistic visuals is a hell of a lot more immersive and enjoyable to play than high fidelity that needs a horrible fog "for performance reasons".

Heavily downgrading graphics in DR2.0 Finland would actually make it look far better.

Edited by HoksuHoo
  • Agree 1

In addition to looking painfully awful, the fog is COMPLETELY unrealistic in what should be dry, clear, hot summer daytime weather with no fog at all. The game should attempt to realistically portray different weather conditions in real-world locations, no? This is a complete failure in that regard too.

This is what daytime/clear should realistically look like. Crystal clear with no fog

2016-07-30-RALLY-FINLAND-17-SUNINEN.jpg

Edited by HoksuHoo
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, HoksuHoo said:

In addition to looking painfully awful, the fog is COMPLETELY unrealistic in what should be dry, clear, hot summer daytime weather with no fog at all. The game should attempt to realistically portray different weather conditions in real-world locations, no? This is a complete failure in that regard too.

This is what daytime/clear should realistically look like. Crystal clear with no fog

Now I'm not defending the fog in any way, but Finland in DR2 isn't supposed to be in the summer. It has a much more fall appearance as if it was held in September. That was a design decision in DR1 since they went on the research trip in the fall. You can clearly see it in the trees. So fog wouldn't be all that unrealistic

Finland, daytime/clear. Looks pretty realistic to me. Fog/smoke/mist/whateveryouwannacallit is not everywhere. This was clarified ages ago, still some people insinuate there's fog everywhere, all the time. smh

rich1eI_DiRTRally20_20191111_23-37-45.png

Edited by richie
  • Agree 1

Can't really see it clearly in the trees when you can't see the trees...20191112171257_1.thumb.jpg.015ea159971092ea94808cf7afa400cf.jpg

Right, early fall instead of summer. Still dry and warm daytime though that should not have fog let alone this kind of thick, low-visibility fog. I live in Finland so I know a few things about what Finland looks like in real life. Believe me, DR2.0 Finland in daytime looks nothing at all like reality. Those promo screenshots are what it should look like.

Besides Codies literally just admitted the fog is "for performance reasons". It's not there to look real, it's just an extremely shoddy job at making it run better.

Edited by HoksuHoo
  • Agree 1

Taking a screenshot with the the camera tilted upwards, 10 metres away from a crest blocking the view of everything past it is not how you say "Looks pretty realistic to me".

The City of Sydney council has had to close all its outdoor pools (Andrew Boy Charlton, Prince Alfred Park Pool and Victoria Park Pool) and tennis courts for the day due to the unsafe levels of smoke in the air.

19cc424ca22cf3c6d37e47f1e295eb65.jpg

Still better visibility than DR2 Finland.

Edited by XenialJ
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, XenialJ said:

Taking a screenshot with the the camera tilted upwards, 10 metres away from a crest blocking the view of everything past it is not how you say "Looks pretty realistic to me".

There's no crest, right behind the car there's a left hander leading to a hairpin. You can see the forest far back in the distance, no fog. The sky's clear, sun is shining, weather is sweet 🎶 ^^

You posted a pic that hides the tree line under a mountain of pics and videos that show the reality.

If you find it fine that's cool but a lot of people don't, and being years after a game that already did it better, it's pretty fair for them not to.

• Agree 5