Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×

Jämsä, Finland – Available Now in DiRT Rally 2.0

In DR1 Jamsa was one of the fastest tracks and a filtered my car through the trees many times.  With DR2 being almost universally faster, I feel really bad for my Porsche when inevitably use the forest as a brake assist.  

Nice that you included also fog, it could be only at some parts of SS but maby that´s not possible with present game engine.
Some of the jumps seems pretty big, maby bigger than in real life but surely this is just a game.

11 hours ago, gfRally said:

So I am only going to take the time to post a few observations because Finland is my favorite location.  

Why so much dust in the day time run?  I have been to some dry wooded rally locations and never seen this much localized dust coming off a car.  Sure it lingers like fog after the car passes, but not never blinding the rear of any car.  Also I find that the fall time of year depicted in the tree graphics would hardly be a dry time of year.

If its a 'feature' to add to the look of Finland's replay cameras, I think this is a mistake, it kills many of the camera views for no good reason.

Also, not sure if the fog works really well on such a fast stage.  Not very flattering to you guys hard work on scenery.  At first I questioned that it may be a way of increasing FPS, then I saw the night (evening) run and it didn't have it or very little, so that can't be it.  

I would confirm with @Jepsertti if he has ever seen these conditions.  

Well, I'm not Jepsertti but I have been watching rally in Finland at that kind of dust conditions. Finland have big jumps and if you want, search "big jump rally finland" from Youtube and you will see :classic_laugh: 

Waited so long these Finland stages. Im gonna loving it...

Hmm, jumps look a bit too big still and the fog/haze looks a bit overdone - hope there's an option without it - but hopefully feels much better than DR1 - really looking forward to this one.

Edited by RodgerDavies

Raise your ride height and increase final drive, folks! This is looking good and it's going to be a lot of fun. Can't wait :classic_happy:

On 11/1/2019 at 6:24 PM, NateFink said:

... when inevitably use the forest as a brake assist.  

This has made me smile 🙂

10 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

Hmm, jumps look a bit too big still

Had to watch video again. My opinion is that jumps are ok but car is flying too far/flyingtime is too long. Mayby it is something about gamephysics or mayby road is too fast at the jumps. Road profile is ok, there could be even more height difference and other stuff that i would include to the finnish stages but i get it why it is like this. I guess that those long jumps were fast (5th or 6th gear) jumps and in real life you are going to fly at that speed.      

I agree with you, @Rallywil1. Such part of physics has been improved after DR1, but IMO car remains too long in airborne.

BTW driving rally car like on entry video is unrealistic, IMO. No one real rally driver would push it so hard (besides the fact that it's impossible to drive like this without remembering every detail of the road, cause pacenotes are not detailed enough)

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Yep, you can push little bit too fast and I guess that is part of the broblem. If you drive to the jump like a maniac you are gonna fly longer period of time. Flying physics are not totally realistic either. But I'm just happy that finnish stages are part of the game :classic_rolleyes:

You literally have a video of RL rallying above, take your time and watch how much rally drivers actually push. I think the jumps are bigger in the video because it's a video game, everyone can push as hard as possible without bearing the responsibility for their co-drivers' and their own lives. 

Also keep in mind that we don't know how many takes were necessary to get the footage. Jon is an outstanding driver but I think it takes 5 to 10 attempts to get a clean run while pushing that hard. I know already that I'll be doing a lot of proper tree inspections before I get to finish one of these stages considering how easy it is to bin it completely ^^

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/4/2019 at 1:36 PM, richie said:

You literally have a video of RL rallying above, take your time and watch how much rally drivers actually push. I think the jumps are bigger in the video because it's a video game, everyone can push as hard as possible without bearing the responsibility for their co-drivers' and their own lives. 

Also keep in mind that we don't know how many takes were necessary to get the footage. Jon is an outstanding driver but I think it takes 5 to 10 attempts to get a clean run while pushing that hard. I know already that I'll be doing a lot of proper tree inspections before I get to finish one of these stages considering how easy it is to bin it completely ^^

Have no  idea why you disagree with my last post, because I agree with your response 🙂
Real drivers push, but they don't jump blindly if they're not confident enough where they gonna land. In the video, it's obvious it wasn't the first run. Too many super-risky manoeuvrers  and jumps ended without crash to say it's a matter of skill or luck. And this is why I don't like it. It's more like stunt exhibition rather han rallying. It's my opinion, but being a rather hardcore simracer, I like simulations to be used like IRL, to see actions comparable to real life. It's natural that sims can be exploited, but I would expect to not expose it in official videos.

BTW, I've seen no credits for this vid. How can you know it's Jon? And out of curiosity, how fast Jon is? Can he manage to finish championship on P1 in Masters tier?

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

out of curiosity, how fast Jon is? Can he manage to finish championship on P1 in Masters tier?

He's this fast.

" Fermanagh's Jon Armstrong won the World Rally Esports Championship, becoming the first real-life rallying driver to do so "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/45234950

50 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Can he manage to finish championship on P1 in Masters tier?

Not only can he beat them, he (among others) helped set their baseline performance level 😉 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

" Fermanagh's Jon Armstrong won the World Rally Esports Championship, becoming the first real-life rallying driver to do so "

4 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Not only can he beat them, he (among others) helped set their baseline performance level 😉 

Good to know! Respect to him!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, my bad then. As Jon did quite a few runs for Codies before cars and/or tracks were released, I thought he was behind the wheel again this time. 

1 hour ago, richie said:

I think the jumps are bigger in the video because it's a video game, everyone can push as hard as possible without bearing the responsibility for their co-drivers' and their own lives. 

To the jumps, i think that we just think differently about it. There is jumps that drivers need to drop speed to 80km/h not to destroy car or get hurt. If I remember it was Gardemeister that got too much speed and broke he's car rearwindow and aero. In game you can do it because there is no responsibility or hardcore damage modelling. I guess we have to agree to disagree about jumps. But anyway tomorrow we can enjoy those stages and have a good time behind wheel.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ianism said:

is it out yet? I'm looking at jumping into some online games 

zVHNh.gif

Hehe, yep, its out on Pc

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Funny, at this point I was excited about the DLC since I didn't yet know it's horribly botched

In reality it looks so horrible it's painful to play

This is what the game really looks like:

20191107233057_1.thumb.jpg.677d0cf03944c60e441c19f16cd90de4.jpg20191111185057_1.thumb.jpg.1a149aed1cdacecd7479686b2dd1c7e2.jpg20191112171257_1.thumb.jpg.e9c32151026a2b21320416a1f22f2aef.jpg20200107133448_1.thumb.jpg.4edc0be0937263b8f1c2274d46c28d7c.jpg20200111192456_1.thumb.jpg.bfb192d7d220568b793e6f30ebc98fb9.jpg

20191112171129_1.thumb.jpg.41ea1655ff84de477c4eb01202c61737.jpg

Edited by HoksuHoo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2