Jump to content

STI NR4 not as slow as it seems?

Recommended Posts

I avoided it for the most part and any time there is a daily or a leaderboard, it is dominated by the Mitsubishi, which has a big power and weight advantage. 

Going back to test the STI NR4, shift points are different. It seems like the rev lights are inaccurate, but they are actually accurate. The car doesn't like to be near the redline. It is a 5 speed car and if you shift when the lights fill, you look to be a couple thousand RPMs short of redline and the engine sound makes it seem like you short shift everything.  But, testing against some of my Mitsubishi ghosts, it is capable of running with the Mitsubishi and even beating it.  Extending the gears a bit and making a quicker final drive will help, but it isn't different than any other car.

Since that class has only 2 cars anyway, it hopefully will add a little more variety for some.  Turns out the STI is surprisingly fast.  

TL;DR Shift sooner and use the shift lights.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thought, going to try this but I think it's not going to change much. The weight advantage over the Subie is already a huge factor. Now add a power advantage and you know, the Subie is lost, no gearshift technique can compensate that. The Subie looks better imo, though 😎 

Edited by richie
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Discovered this a while ago. You need to shift much earlier than the engine noise implies, the rev lights are correct.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question is: Are the Evo X specs accurate? Because from a balance standpoint it's by far the worst class, the SUBARU being not even close to the Evo X.

I read multiple times now, that the Evo X is now lighter than it was in DiRT 4. But were the specs in DiRT 4 wrong or the ones in DR 2.0? Or is it even a different Evo X?

In my opinion: Accuracy > balance. So if everything is accurate, so be it.

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

My question is: Are the Evo X specs accurate? Because from a balance standpoint it's by far the worst class, the SUBARU being not even close to the Evo X.

I read multiple times now, that the Evo X is now lighter than it was in DiRT 4. But were the specs in DiRT 4 wrong or the ones in DR 2.0? Or is it even a different Evo X?

In my opinion: Accuracy > balance. So if everything is accurate, so be it.

 

This was explained somewhere... but TLDR - DR2 Mitsubishi Evo X weight is correct, unfortunately. Something about which weight they decided to list between the games - with both guys in or just car's weight. Idk, bull excuse for such a simple thing since Subaru weight didn't change among games.

 

While i like my accuracy, i also like my underdog cars to not be very stinky garbage, but just garbage. >_>

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a bit double feeling. The Mitsu is defo a bit quicker so almost all fast guys use it so it is on top on the leaderboards.

Makes that the Scooby slow? Don't think so. I tried both and it is just a little bit slower, not much. But I find it easier to drive.

So if you are top50 of the world, choose for the Mitsu. Orherwise doesn't really matter. If you are learning and still make lots of mistakes go for the Scooby.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 11:17 AM, Johnnnn said:

So leaderboards are wrong?

I don't think they're wrong, I just don't think it is as lopsided as they appear.  It was actually surprising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

It is a bit double feeling. The Mitsu is defo a bit quicker so almost all fast guys use it so it is on top on the leaderboards.

Makes that the Scooby slow? Don't think so. I tried both and it is just a little bit slower, not much. But I find it easier to drive.

So if you are top50 of the world, choose for the Mitsu. Orherwise doesn't really matter. If you are learning and still make lots of mistakes go for the Scooby.

I am not top 50, I feel good if I can get a top 500 time.  I will always choose a Scooby whenever the option is there.  H1 and H2 need Subie options.  Really we need a subie in every class.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 3:36 PM, DaleRossi said:

I avoided it for the most part and any time there is a daily or a leaderboard, it is dominated by the Mitsubishi, which has a big power and weight advantage. 

Going back to test the STI NR4, shift points are different. It seems like the rev lights are inaccurate, but they are actually accurate. The car doesn't like to be near the redline. It is a 5 speed car and if you shift when the lights fill, you look to be a couple thousand RPMs short of redline and the engine sound makes it seem like you short shift everything.  But, testing against some of my Mitsubishi ghosts, it is capable of running with the Mitsubishi and even beating it.  Extending the gears a bit and making a quicker final drive will help, but it isn't different than any other car.

Since that class has only 2 cars anyway, it hopefully will add a little more variety for some.  Turns out the STI is surprisingly fast.  

TL;DR Shift sooner and use the shift lights.

Hi, yes the sti NR4 is faster than it seems. it needs to be shifted between 5-5.5k rpm to get the best out of it. The only problem is that most people are also shifting at redline with the evo X as well, as this needs to change gears at 6k rpm. The reality is that by shift the STI NR4 at 5-5.5k rather than redline you will gain 2 seconds over a 3 mile stage. By shifting the evo X at 6k rather than redline you will gain 1.5 seconds over a 3 mile stage. Sadly though, the STI NR4 on average is some 3-4 seconds slower than the evo X and has no hope of beating it on any stage in the game if a you go up against a driver which has a similar talent to yourself but the STI NR4 can still reach a top 10 place on most of the TT leaderboards.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2Technical said:

Hi, yes the sti NR4 is faster than it seems. it needs to be shifted between 5-5.5k rpm to get the best out of it. The only problem is that most people are also shifting at redline with the evo X as well, as this needs to change gears at 6k rpm. The reality is that by shift the STI NR4 at 5-5.5k rather than redline you will gain 2 seconds over a 3 mile stage.

How are you finding the optimal shift points without live telemetry, is it a case of trial and error?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

How are you finding the optimal shift points without live telemetry, is it a case of trial and error?

That's a good question. Where is any in-game telemetry? It's not Need for speed 😄

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure on the PC side of things there are telemetry tools you can use, but it would be huge if Codies implemented live telemetry in the game so that us console peasants could also have a closer look. 

My guess is that the game already tells you when to shift gears in the Subie. Basically the shifting point is when the instrument cluster turns red. In the Subie that point is rather early in the RPM range and if we had a live telemetry it wouldn't surprise me if that's the peak HP. You want to shift at max. HP, maybe a tiny little bit later. 

In the end no matter if you shift at max. HP and use its power band to the fullest, the Subie still can't compete with the Evo X. 

Telemetry would be sooo cool to have in the game. Please Codies, make it happen! 🙏 

Edited by richie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2Technical said:

 the STI NR4 can still reach a top 10 place on most of the TT leaderboards.

If you are GT Technical, then YOU can. I sure as hell can not.lol

Thanks for doing more cockpit/interior vids, btw.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, somethingthing said:

would be nice if the game told at what rpm the optimal shift point is. Its not like the drivers in real life dont get to know that, right?

The automatic transmission is pretty good for figuring this out. It will shift at higher rpm on 1st gear, then switch to the 5-5.5k that @2technical mentioned.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Lenman said:

The automatic transmission is pretty good for figuring this out. It will shift at higher rpm on 1st gear, then switch to the 5-5.5k that @2technical mentioned.

 

 

Good advice! I will try to remember to use this for other cars aswell. But still, it would be better if it was told ingame. But doing a shakedown with automatic gears is a quick and easy way to find out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 9:49 AM, PJTierney said:

How are you finding the optimal shift points without live telemetry, is it a case of trial and error?

The gear number in the HUD display has a red box light up around it when it needs to change gear. All the car setups I have shared in the last 3 months includes this info in the gearbox settings screenshot for each individual setup. The older setups will have this included once i get round to updating them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 12:53 PM, somethingthing said:

would be nice if the game told at what rpm the optimal shift point is. Its not like the drivers in real life dont get to know that, right?

it does, the gear number in the HUD display has a red box light up round it when you've reached the optimal shift point. The STI NR4 is the best example of that as its optimal shift point is much lower than any other car compared to its redline and its power drops off dramatically once you rev over 5.5k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×