Jump to content Jump to content

joypad users. which camera are you using?

acmilangr

I go back and forth between behind the car and helmet cam. I can't make up my mind yet. Outside view gives a better view of the road further ahead, but helmet-cam gives a better sense of  road contour and exact placement on the track 

I'm using a wheel so off topic on that but, as for the view I have some hopefully useful input.

Personally I use Bonnet cam as that way, you can always see the road immediately in front of the car, you also see where the car is actually pointing at all times (unlike the "view sway" you get in chase cam). you can see immediately if the car starts to slide and, you can see the angle you need to correct any sideways airtime.

I've also run quite a few in game benchmarks and had fraps running alongside it to display fps in realtime. While doing so I noticed a massive differences in FPS during switches between the different views. I'm running a beast of a rig (AMD 9590 with 2 8GB R9 290X's) but the fps scaling should be relevant across all budgets of PC's out there.

The ingame benchmark gave me figures of  61.99fps min, 91.71fps avg and 130.68fps max but I noticed this during the run thanks to fraps counter in the corner and checked against the fraps fps over time record.
In Bumper cam sectors of the games benchmark run I was seeing minimum speeds of 117fps
In Bonnet cam sectors this was around 95fps min
In car views were all around 83fps min
Chase views did the worst hitting as low as 61fps.

I then ran the same stage in bonnet cam only and got these figures from a fraps benchmark of 79.5fps min, 117.58fps avg and a massive 164.81fps max.

So the view you chose can drastically change the performance you get in the game. Not just how you play the game...

Been doing this sort of thing myself...

https://youtu.be/rTPOOjXGMhc

On most racing games I'm strictly behind. But in tis game I'm bonnet cam or dash cam. I realized while playing that I had to be much more concentrated than usual games. So I felt bonnet was better. I also got my licsence last november so it felt natural for me to go with bonnet/dashcam

It's called Chase Cam. I taught my mate how to play driving games, he used to use chase cam and always had trouble with corners, when I finally got him to switch to bumper cam he got the hang on them. I don't know whether it's because they reduce steering input based on the cam you use or because you cannot see the apex of any corner because your car is totally blocking everything you need to see

It's called Chase Cam. I taught my mate how to play driving games, he used to use chase cam and always had trouble with corners, when I finally got him to switch to bumper cam he got the hang on them. I don't know whether it's because they reduce steering input based on the cam you use or because you cannot see the apex of any corner because your car is totally blocking everything you need to see
you are right, but i prefer chase camera not only becouse i can see more space but i like to see how the car is moving on the corner like a nice oversteer in 180 degrees turn.

acmilangr said:
i like to see how the car is moving on the corner like a nice oversteer in 180 degrees turn.
That's what Replay Mode is for. ;)

Give it a try on Bonnet Cam, that way you can see the apex's and still see how much room you have for the car and get a sense of how much the rear end is stepping out in the bends

acmilangr said:
i like to see how the car is moving on the corner like a nice oversteer in 180 degrees turn.
That's what Replay Mode is for. ;)

Give it a try on Bonnet Cam, that way you can see the apex's and still see how much room you have for the car and get a sense of how much the rear end is stepping out in the bends
sorry for my bad english.

bonnet camera is the one i can see the steering wheel?

I've seen a few of your vids dude and they show really well what we've both said here.

The problem with chase cam is to do with the view swaying off the cars axis during turns (axis = the centre line through the car), as I mentioned above as "view sway". Basically the car rotates faster than the view does so you can easily end up turning to far and need to correct. This "view sway" is worse the more severe the corners are.

In Bonnet/Bumper/Incar views you can see at all times where the nose is poniting, the angle of any slide and as Skiddy pointed out the road closer to the car. I've been thrown off course by a stone I couldn't see from in-car let alone chase cam.

Plus like I said above the view you use has a direct effect on the PC's performance and bonnet cam/bumper cam gave 2nd and top fps rates, smoother gameplay means better ability to react to whats happening...

Next time you do an event watch it's replay through different views and you'll see what myself and @SkiddyMcCrash are going on about.

If you use chase cam watch a replay from Bonnet/Bumper cam and you'll see a few times where you over turn a corner and need to correct.

It always depends on the feel of the game but this one I'm using the bonnet cam with a 360 controller.  I've tried the others, the in car one for realism etc but I'm having more fun with the bonnet cam. Fun wins every time over realism for me.

For now i use a ps4 controller (waiting for the power adapter for my wheel to show up from amazon) and I can only play in helmet cam. It might be a little bit more difficult but with any other camera the game isn't as exhilarating!

Using a 360 pad on headcam, no HUD and no assists (minus the assist of not needing a clutch at least). Having a wheel that more or less directly reacts to my input is useful for grounding my actions in the game.

For Xbone pad users: Does the game make use of the trigger FFB feature? If so, is it useful?

Iam using Thrustmaster xbox controller, and use `rear2 or hood camera.

I noticed my fps dropped alot when driving in the Woods and when came out it raised again, so maybe it explains what u said Rastus, bcz with rear camera u see alot more of the surrounding(which i like of that vieuw) then using the hood where u only see the road. so alot  less trees etc.

Normally after driving alot and sort a know the roads better i only gonna use the hood cam, iam faster with it then with the rear2 cam.

Cockpitt i use more for kinda cruising and its fun, but cant realy drive good with it

dsiOne said:
Using a 360 pad on headcam, no HUD and no assists (minus the assist of not needing a clutch at least). Having a wheel that more or less directly reacts to my input is useful for grounding my actions in the game.

For Xbone pad users: Does the game make use of the trigger FFB feature? If so, is it useful?
No it doesn't yet unfortunately, I'd like to see it implemented though

Archived