Jump to content Jump to content

how many stages are there actually on the game?

acmilangr

Ha, I was trying to work out the same thing. I've not played too much (waiting for a fix for Logitech DA advanced settings ;)) so I could be very wrong, but as far as I can work out, there's actually about 6, but not sure of the Monte Carlo ones.

In GB, there seems to be two long stages, which can be run in halves, with all three variants (full, half #1, half #2) able to be run in reverse. I think Greece is the same. The MC stages all seem centred around Turini though, so I'm not sure if that's different.

I could be wrong about this; Empty Box's review suggests that it's the same roads combined in different ways, but I'd love to see the maps to work it out for sure.

So far as I've seen we have a tracks that are both reversed and also mirrored so 4 variants of each actual track are possible.

Not a bad thing imo as there is such a variety of  track conditions that pretty much any 4-5 runs through even 1 course will have completely different lines.

Others will more than likely disagree but that's a fact of life. I'm Happy as a pig in the proverbial.....

There's no mirrored I don't think. Each location has two full stages and four half stages, each with a reverse direction, to total the claimed '36'. Now, the quality of what's there is in no doubt, but I hope this isn't all we will see of these fantastic locations and textures.

I wish I saw the drawing above earlier :D. I spent quite some time today driving all stages in Greece and Wales to find out which ones are long and which are short. Indeed in both cases it's just a question of long stages being cut for shorter sections and run in reverse or some fancy combinations. I also don't think there any mirroring involved. Didn't count the "base" ones though.

Just been concentrating on the Monte Carlo stages and I'm thinking that there's only a single stage for that location, but it's not possible to run the whole thing in one go. Instead, it's divided into two, and then shorter ones as above. Would love to find similar maps to the Greek ones above for Wales and Monaco if anyone has them.

• 3 weeks later...
Dirt Rally, out now! 3 locations, 12 stages in each! - come join in on early access!

Sounds a bit better than the truth yes?

Truth: 
Dirt Rally, out now! 3 locations, 2 stages in each! - come join in on early access! -  so we can check the interest for this type of game and make some money.
------------
Jokes* aside.

I really hope things change... Having 2 tracks in each location is for me personally a whole lot less fun than having countries with at least 12 tracks, unique tracks where we don't go on the same road again and again, make the same turns over and over and see the same environments and vistas.
What if we ended up with the same amount of countries as WRC is this year? Which is 13. then 12 tracks in each. Then an option to reverse all tracks = 24 x 13 = 312.
Variety is the spice of  life.

Has anyone seen any confirmation from Codemasters about how the game will pan out? Will more tracks be added to Wales/Greece/Monte carlo?
Will the upcoming countries be treated the same? With only 2 long stages?
= Hire more leveldesigners!

I haven't watched WRC in a couple of years,  how are the stages there laid out nowadays? Is the same person driving on the same roads throughout the rally(like dirt rally) or do they drive on new roads for every stage(like the CMR series)?

Typically these days the WRC/ERC events don't actually have that many stages, due to costs, so the number you mention above (12) would probably be more than necessary to recreate a real modern event.

They're often made up of 2 full days (Friday and Saturday), which will consist of a 'loop' of 3 or 4 stages in the morning, service and then the same loop repeated in the afternoon, followed by 1 or 2 stages on Sunday morning. There are usually a 'super special' or street stage or two scattered around on Thursday or Saturday evenings too.

The downside is obviously the lack of stages, but on the plus side they have been reintroducing some really long stages in each event too, and the gap between services is now a long time, so they have reintroduced an endurance aspect of sorts.

Most major events now also run a historic or 'national' rally during the day, who run the same stages but with only a single pass (in between the WRC/ERC runners), which to me would be the ideal split between clubman and masters championships.

So a typical event nowadays, goes something like:

Day 1:
Stage A (night)
Service

Day 2:
Stage B (morning)
Stage C (morning)
Stage D (midday)
Service
Stage B (midday)
Stage C (afternoon)
Stage D (afternoon)
Service

Day 3:
Stage E (morning)
Stage F (midday)
Stage G (midday)
Service
Stage E (afternoon)
Stage F (afternoon)
Stage G (night)
Service

Day 4:
Stage H (morning)
Stage I (morning)
Service
Stage H (midday)

9 unique stages.

So, to me, I think a perfect Dirt Rally event could consist of:

Day 1:
Stage A (morning)
Stage B (morning)
Stage C (midday)
Service
Stage A (afternoon)
Stage B (afternoon)
Stage C (night)
Service

Day 2:
Stage D (morning)
Stage E (morning)
Stage F (midday)
Service
Stage D (midday)
Stage E (afternoon)
Stage F (afternoon)

This is basically how I've been doing custom events so far, but with two of the shorter versions each 'day' instead of three. The few that I've finished anyway! Would be nice to have more in each location so I can use the longer versions or have a few more stages. The direction of stages can change from year to year/season to season, as can the ordering of them.

Maybe these could alternate with something like:

Day 1:
Stage A (afternoon)
Stage B (night)
Service

Day 2:
Stage C (morning)
Stage D (morning)
Stage E (midday)
Service
Stage C (afternoon)
Stage D (afternoon)
Stage E (night)
Service

Day 3:
Stage A (morning)
Stage B (midday)

Anyway, I'm just dreaming aloud ;)

My point was meant to be that you could create a 'full' modern WRC event with 9 unique stages, but a very realistic one with just 5 or 6 'full' (7-8 minute) stages, all run in only a single direction.

Archived