Jump to content

Automatic shifting has gotten worse!

Recommended Posts

I've noticed since the latest patch that often the automatic shifting messes up. It will either downshift and way over rev or upshift way too early. Its cost me lap time because if this. It happens when going through corners and the game isnt sure what gear to me in and messes it up a lot. Anyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're missing the point of the game if you're using auto shifting. The whole point of F1 is the squeeze out peak hp from the engine, which you do by taking each gear to near redline (or until you hear the up-shift beep) and accomplished only in manual shifting.  Also you get to hold a gear longer using manual shifting.  Go for it!  

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FOneFanatic said:

You're missing the point of the game if you're using auto shifting. The whole point of F1 is the squeeze out peak hp from the engine, which you do by taking each gear to near redline (or until you hear the up-shift beep) and accomplished only in manual shifting.  Also you get to hold a gear longer using manual shifting.  Go for it!  

He's right you know. The easiest assist to lose with the greatest actual benefit to the driver is auto shifting. Some of the other assists make drivers faster but this one does not. After a few laps it's pretty quick to learn and more fun too! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

He's right you know. The easiest assist to lose with the greatest actual benefit to the driver is auto shifting. Some of the other assists make drivers faster but this one does not. After a few laps it's pretty quick to learn and more fun too! 

What's cool about this game is that shifting manual doesn't require you to be concerned about the clutch, except during manual starts, which is also recommended for the genuine experience of an F 1 driver.  The Pinnacle of Motorsport has decided that the computer is much more efficient at dealing with the clutch than humans - hooray! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hysteria is not needed here. Let everyone play as they like. After all, we don't drive a car here, but we have a toy in our hands and sit in front of the TV screen. I also use automatic shifting because I'm too lazy. And in the previous steering wheel the shifters broke and I had to do without them. And I'm comfortable. Although certainly with a manual transmission easier to fight oversteer.

And besides, a colleague asks about something else and has not yet received the answer. This is the internet :classic_laugh:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, eMc0B said:

Hysteria is not needed here. Let everyone play as they like. After all, we don't drive a car here, but we have a toy in our hands and sit in front of the TV screen. I also use automatic shifting because I'm too lazy. And in the previous steering wheel the shifters broke and I had to do without them. And I'm comfortable. Although certainly with a manual transmission easier to fight oversteer.

And besides, a colleague asks about something else and has not yet received the answer. This is the internet :classic_laugh:.

I do not see anyone being hysterical, just helpful. After all the game is broken in many ways either since launch or after patches and will most likely never be fixed. Don't confuse this forum with Reddit for example where someone asking how to to say change pc key bindings for a game will be told they're stupid (more likely the R word) because they should just be using a controller instead. 

There is no GOOD answer to the OPs question here. True, you could try and get a consensus going amongst the people who use auto gears as to whether it's slower than manual shifting. It IS of course but you're saying it's TOO slow right? You could wait for Codies to fix it (!) or you could skip the problem entirely and use manual shifts. Which are incredibly easy as FOneFanatic says with clutch being automatic. 

If we're being actually hysterical and rude then sure we deserve criticism. Except we're actually being polite and helpful. Sure it's the Internet so you can just totally ignore the facts if you wish.. It's fine! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, this was not criticism, only irony. Just irony. An even more serious tone prevails on the Project Cars forum :classic_biggrin:.

I try to approach the game from a distance. That is why I am a bit amused by the educational tone of some players. Do not use TC, do not use ABS, do not use automatic gearbox. Why not? I say: use what you want, because it is just a game and is to give pleasure. All these options are there so that everyone can find their level.

Maybe soon the above colleague will check how to drive with manual shifting. For now, he knows that he does not understand the essence of the game, because he uses the automatic gearshift :classic_rolleyes:.

I stopped using TC and ABS myself, but it doesn't matter. I started looking for a bigger challenge so I turned this and that off. Everything comes with time.

Let's go back to the question

Quote

I've noticed since the latest patch that often the automatic shifting messes up. It will either downshift and way over rev or upshift way too early. Its cost me lap time because if this. It happens when going through corners and the game isnt sure what gear to me in and messes it up a lot. Anyone else?

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, eMc0B said:

Oh, this was not criticism, only irony. Just irony. An even more serious tone prevails on the Project Cars forum :classic_biggrin:.

I try to approach the game from a distance. That is why I am a bit amused by the educational tone of some players. Do not use TC, do not use ABS, do not use automatic gearbox. Why not? I say: use what you want, because it is just a game and is to give pleasure. All these options are there so that everyone can find their level.

Maybe soon the above colleague will check how to drive with manual shifting. For now, he knows that he does not understand the essence of the game, because he uses the automatic gearshift :classic_rolleyes:.

I stopped using TC and ABS myself, but it doesn't matter. I started looking for a bigger challenge so I turned this and that off. Everything comes with time.

Let's go back to the question

 

I think the reason nobody bothered to answer the original OP was lethargy that noone is listening anymore at Codies and hardly anyone else uses auto shift anyway as it's so very slow even if/when it wasnt so bad on release (I'm taking OP word for it here as I've not seen anyone else mention it). 

So you are either going to get a thread with zero replies and maybe a few thumbs up or people offering alternate ways to solve the problem. I can sense a meme forming possibly before long as a reply to yet another f1-2019 reported issue :

"that's F1 2019 baby!" 

I DO agree with your sentiment although I've been here long enough to know the way it actually seems to work. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy might play with auto gears for a reason. He can do what he wants. 

 

I brought this up a few years ago in the beta and nothing got done about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, inspiretheworld said:

The guy might play with auto gears for a reason. He can do what he wants. 

 

I brought this up a few years ago in the beta and nothing got done about it. 

Of course he has the right to do what he wants but it's unfair to ask for every personal preference to result in the exact same speed as everyone else. I can only imagine the complexity in trying to program a game to know the perfect gear change for every situation on track. Thats why most games just show the recommended gear on screen for the track ahead if you have the option on. If the game did an excellent job on release of auto shifting then suddenly went bad that's different although without video or telemetry data it's just impossible for any dev to see what's going on. Hope this makes sense! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×