Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Standard Car Setups?

So are the standard car set-ups deliberately bad?
If we use the Original Mini as an example:
That car has crazy, crazy understeer with it's standard set-up.
It was absolutely horrible to drive for the first couple of rallies I done it, because the thing just want to plough on through each and every corner.
But then after tweaking the set-up understeer became a thing of the past, the car was now the lively little animal I expected it to be.

So back to the question are they deliberately bad? if so is just to force people in to using the set-up options? or is there another reason behind it?

All racing games have bad standard settings. I think it's because everyone has different driving styles, so standard settings are there so everyone can pick up and play. If every car had awesome standard setting, what would be the point of tuning them

I suspect most the cars are set up to understeer, as for most new gamers, understeer is easier to deal with than oversteer until you get used to it.

So far I have a car in each class and all but the WRC Fiesta RS have tended to understeer in stock set up, mess around with the set up until you fine one that suits your style.

All racing games have bad standard settings. I think it's because everyone has different driving styles, so standard settings are there so everyone can pick up and play. If every car had awesome standard setting, what would be the point of tuning them
I know most standard set-ups in racers ain't the best, but they ain't normally as bad as this!
It doesn't bother me all to much as I'm not afraid by playing with the setting and understand what adjustments need to be made to help dial out that understeer.

I just think the standard set-ups can be improved slightly for newbies to the game/racing genre. They don't have to be perfect, but they certainly don't have to be as bad as they are.

What I'd like to see is perhaps the standard setups get better as your crew chief levels up. 
The problem with that is that what's better for ME, may not necessarily be better for you.

I've left the setups alone (except gearing on the 80's Ford Cossie to avoid the 2nd gear "no boost" problem!) to get the hang of the physics. Left foot braking helped dial out the Mini's understeer problems without any changes to setup.

What I'd like to see is perhaps the standard setups get better as your crew chief levels up. 
I like this idea, would be cool to see something like that as at least the engineers would have more of a reason to be upgraded rather than just quicker times repairing stuff.
Plus it would certainly help newbies to the game.

I've left the setups alone (except gearing on the 80's Ford Cossie to avoid the 2nd gear "no boost" problem!) to get the hang of the physics. Left foot braking helped dial out the Mini's understeer problems without any changes to setup.
really? because without touching the set-up the mini has almost all it's brake bias set at the front and that was what I found the biggest cause of the understeer was.

The mini needs alot or rear brakes. But it understeers like crazy when you're off throttle. Havent fiddled with the diff though.

really? because without touching the set-up the mini has almost all it's brake bias set at the front and that was what I found the biggest cause of the understeer was.
Definitely. I use it mid-corner (when I start applying enough throttle to spin the inside-front wheel) to stop the inside front wheel from spinning and to allow more power to be put into the outside-front wheel (which has most of the grip). Not much brake applied. It just pulls the front end under control a bit, it doesn't lock the rear wheels.

While we're at it, what do I have to do to unlock the advanced car setup tab folks have been talking about in different threads?

While we're at it, what do I have to do to unlock the advanced car setup tab folks have been talking about in different threads?
Drive the car further. It unlocks as an "upgrade" on a per-car per-mileage basis.

It'd be amazing if there was a way to share vehicle setups, maybe through RaceNet or the Steam Workshop?