Help!! I’m slow this year, and can’t figure out why!

I’ve been driving F1 titles since 2012. Moved to a wheel in 16, and steadily picked up my pace over next few years to the point that in 17-18 I was easily in the top 2-5% in TT on all tracks (except Bahrain 🤮), no assists, and cockpit cam  

This year I've had the game about a month, and I’m really struggling to find the pace. Where as in online lobbies I’d be about a second off the pace when the fastest guys show up, and dominate in what I’d call just random lobbies. But now I find myself 2-3 seconds off, and I’m not sure why? 

Any other long time players having this issue, or do I just suck this year? Maybe I need more time... 

Edited by PatrickTucker
Misspelling
  • Like 1

This year Codemasters messed up the car performance big time.

Apparently Codemasters believed that the real life cars would be slower than the ones from 2018 due to a front wing regulation change that was supposed to make the cars less draggy, easier to follow with lower amounts of dirty air, hence the cars were supposed to be less aerodynamically efficient and in turn produce understeer in the process.

Regardless, thanks to the masterpiece of engineering of the real life efforts that were a result of heavy work on all aspects of the art of car building, none of the teams, except maybe Williams, lost any speed in 2019 compared to 2018, even better:

The 2019 cars irl are much faster than the ones of 2018, a fact that even the F1 gurus were not able to anticipate.

Still, F1 2019 the game came out after 8 race weekends were held in real life, so Codemasters had more than enough time to fix the car performance accordingly before and after the realease of the game, but they did not and instead came up with a lazy excuse that they "could not see it".

Either way, after being called out for the disastrous state of the car performance, Codemasters tried to rectify this issue with the 1.05 patch by increasing the front wing aero efficiency by around 20%.

But that downforce change was not enough, as the cars are still lacking at least another 30% downforce as a whole package, the disappointing result:

Due to Codemasters lack of vision or laziness, the 2019 cars are now more prone to understeer, are around 20% - 30% slower in highspeed corners and seem to have too much drag, if compared to real life telemetry data, this ultimately results in massive issues to get the most out of the car with setups and makes the car feel sluggish.

Do you prefer a more loose car or a car that has a nimble responsiveness to it?

If so, then maybe it's your driving style, as this year it's (once again after 2016) all about maximum corner exit and topspeed as well as stability rather than cornering speed.

Just try driving the cars as if it was the year 2016 and you will be fast, meaning:

1.Nail your corner exits.

2.Go for maximum topspeed.

3.Try to get a stable car.

Sadly Codemasters won't fix the car performance for unknown reasons, even though it could be done quite easily by professionals:

Seriously, Codemasters should be ashamed of themselves to call this a "officially licenced F1 product", as they refuse to fix simple issues that are hindering the game to be true to real life performance.

#VoteWithYourWallet 

#MakeF1GamesGreatAgain 

EDIT: Do you have a YouTube or Twitch channel where we can see your driving?

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Agree 5

Yeah i’m a lot slower than normal this year too when comparing TT times. I haven’t had to turn the AI down though, so my pace relative to the game hasn’t changed.

I use a wheel too so i think it probably just relates to the “pad is a lot faster than wheel” issue that others have noticed this year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

@TheEmpireWasRight  I have both channels, but to be honest it’s quite embarrassing to be this far off so I’ve not streamed any yet. 

@kalamazoo123 I read in the forums that the pad was way overpowered earlier. Is that still the case? Even still though, a lot of my friends list are way quick, and I know a lot of them are on wheels so I can’t just rest on that. If they can find it so can I. Just not sure where to look. 

I am on a new wheel and pedals this year, and it’s a different feel so I’ve been playing with the settings a bit to see if that’s it. 

• Like 1

I do feel like I’m getting killed on the brakes, when that was one of my weapons. I WAS good late on the brakes. Now it seems almost everyone online can brake at least 50m later. 

57 minutes ago, PatrickTucker said:

I do feel like I’m getting killed on the brakes, when that was one of my weapons. I WAS good late on the brakes. Now it seems almost everyone online can brake at least 50m later. 

Are you using any assists or are your friends? Assist users have serious advantages compared to non assist users, the same as with cockpit vs tcam view. The only assist that slows you down is auto shifting. Apart from the poor car performance already mentioned compared to other years if your friends are using assists they will definitely be much faster than you. 

This game don't play fair... Way too many exploits to gain an advantage over your opponents without actually driving better. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Are you using any assists or are your friends? Assist users have serious advantages compared to non assist users, the same as with cockpit vs tcam view. The only assist that slows you down is auto shifting. Apart from the poor car performance already mentioned compared to other years if your friends are using assists they will definitely be much faster than you. 

This game don't play fair... Way too many exploits to gain an advantage over your opponents without actually driving better. 

Hmmmm not sure about this...

While i’d love to think that all those people that are way faster than me in TT were only faster because they are using assists.... they’re not.

The leaderboards are dominated by non assist users, so there is clearly a way of being faster without them.

I use no assists, and cockpit cam. Most of the guys I know run t-cam, and a few run the corner line (weak imo), but the remaining assists are off for the fastest guys. The ones I league race with anyways. 

About a second off on all tracks. Brakes is the thing I suppose and after a lot off fiddling with the brakes I'm getting closer to my 2018 times. Driving with no assists and in cockpit view.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, advanceapple said:

this game is horrible. it's normal.

who put thumb down is clearly an inconsistent pad player 😄 the truth burns.
  • Haha 4

On 11/6/2019 at 4:56 AM, advanceapple said:

who put thumb down is clearly an inconsistent pad player 😄 the truth burns.

There are TWO of them now. Obviously Codies still have at least 2 Hardcore fanboys! 

Edited by sloppysmusic
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Update:

Ok, so I’ve been toying with the settings in game for my wheel. Reducing the FFB, and increasing the steering damper has worked wonders for making me feel more in control of the car. It has seemingly reduced the understeer, and made the car less twitchy on curbs and under low-speed acceleration. (Figure that out...)

I’ve just recently gotten the Fanatec Podium series wheel. I’ve set the FFB to 45, where I ran my T300 on 110, and I’ve set the steering damper to 25 so far. I intend on continuing to add to that as long as it continues to benefit. Crazy how much stronger this wheel is compared to the Thrustmaster. I like the FFB to be strong, but I couldn’t steer the car quick enough with it at default setting of 70. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 12:33 PM, TheEmpireWasRight said:

This year Codemasters messed up the car performance big time.

Apparently Codemasters believed that the real life cars would be slower than the ones from 2018 due to a front wing regulation change that was supposed to make the cars less draggy, easier to follow with lower amounts of dirty air, hence the cars were supposed to be less aerodynamically efficient and in turn produce understeer in the process.

Regardless, thanks to the masterpiece of engineering of the real life efforts that were a result of heavy work on all aspects of the art of car building, none of the teams, except maybe Williams, lost any speed in 2019 compared to 2018, even better:

The 2019 cars irl are much faster than the ones of 2018, a fact that even the F1 gurus were not able to anticipate.

Still, F1 2019 the game came out after 8 race weekends were held in real life, so Codemasters had more than enough time to fix the car performance accordingly before and after the realease of the game, but they did not and instead came up with a lazy excuse that they "could not see it".

Either way, after being called out for the disastrous state of the car performance, Codemasters tried to rectify this issue with the 1.05 patch by increasing the front wing aero efficiency by around 20%.

But that downforce change was not enough, as the cars are still lacking at least another 30% downforce as a whole package, the disappointing result:

Due to Codemasters lack of vision or laziness, the 2019 cars are now more prone to understeer, are around 20% - 30% slower in highspeed corners and seem to have too much drag, if compared to real life telemetry data, this ultimately results in massive issues to get the most out of the car with setups and makes the car feel sluggish.

Do you prefer a more loose car or a car that has a nimble responsiveness to it?

If so, then maybe it's your driving style, as this year it's (once again after 2016) all about maximum corner exit and topspeed as well as stability rather than cornering speed.

Just try driving the cars as if it was the year 2016 and you will be fast, meaning:

1.Nail your corner exits.

2.Go for maximum topspeed.

3.Try to get a stable car.

Sadly Codemasters won't fix the car performance for unknown reasons, even though it could be done quite easily by professionals:

Seriously, Codemasters should be ashamed of themselves to call this a "officially licenced F1 product", as they refuse to fix simple issues that are hindering the game to be true to real life performance.

#VoteWithYourWallet 

#MakeF1GamesGreatAgain 

EDIT: Do you have a YouTube or Twitch channel where we can see your driving?

I agree I will vote with my wallet. Back in the previous generation I used to think codmasters took pride in the games they made. Now I realise with the latest GRID they milk there games for the season pass and microtransactions like Formula 1 with false hype and no communication. Dirt rally games I'm sure are probably they only decent games they take the time and pride to create.   

• Agree 1