WRC 8 vs DiRT Rally 2.0

My first post here, but I figured I would chime in since I have put a lot of time in on WRC 8. 

I play on an Xbox One X and had been using a Thrustmaster TX. It took some time to dial in but the FFB was really good once I got the wheel right. If felt better than DR and DR2.0

The default setups and quick adjustments for the car setups suck. To get the cars to actually handle properly, especially at slow speed, you have to setup the suspension and diff for each location. The physics shine once this is done. There still are some strange physics things going on though.

There are invisible puddles sometimes, and the car's reaction to puddles and water spots is way over-tuned. It is also not predictable based on your angle of entry, throttle position, or speed. You also get no feedback from running over some larger rocks or brush on the side of the stage. Curbs on tarmac stages are the exception.

Speaking of tarmac, the physics here are really good. The WRC cars tend to still be a little floaty, but proper suspension and diff tuning help with this.

Back to the FFB. I just upgraded this week to a CSL Elite 1.1 with the R330 wheel and universal hub and CSL Elite LC pedals.

The LC brake has made a huge difference, but it feels better in DR and DR2. The FFB in DR and DR2.0 now feel light-years beyond WRC 8 with my new hardware. I still have some tuning to do, but WRC 8 feels like canned feedback and vibrations now, to where DR and DR2 feel more natural; how I would expect the car and wheel to react. Tarmac still does feel better than the DR games, but even this has improved with the new wheel.

And let's talk about fps on console. It runs fairly smooth for 30fps on my One X. BUT......the low fps starts compounding problems as you get faster. When I had the TX dialed in with the car settings right, I was able to push top 25 in a number of stages, but at this speed the frame stutter and graphics wash out was interfering with the physics and my ability to react. 

TL;DR is that WRC 8 is a good game. It has its issues as does DR and DR2, but it's good. I would recommend if you want to play it seriously, do so on PC. The 30 fps limit on consoles will eventually hold you back. For asphalt rallies, it is much better than DR/DR2. On gravel, I still prefer DR/DR2. 

My dream come true would be for CM to get the WRC license and make a fully licensed WRC rally game with DR2 gravel physics and proper asphalt physics.

• Agree 3

21 hours ago, SaxmanUSMC said:

My dream come true would be for CM to get the WRC license and make a fully licensed WRC rally game with DR2 gravel physics and proper asphalt physics.

there's a thread talking about this actually. can't find it now, but the consensus was basically that the WRC would probably want a game that was only about the WRC, so there's a good chance we'd lose any non-WRC locations, cars and disciplines (and possibly even many of the older cars). they'd also want it more accessible for more casual fans, so more like the regular Dirt series than Dirt Rally.

• Agree 2

On 12/21/2019 at 1:47 PM, SaxmanUSMC said:

My first post here, but I figured I would chime in since I have put a lot of time in on WRC 8. 

I play on an Xbox One X and had been using a Thrustmaster TX. It took some time to dial in but the FFB was really good once I got the wheel right. If felt better than DR and DR2.0

The default setups and quick adjustments for the car setups suck. To get the cars to actually handle properly, especially at slow speed, you have to setup the suspension and diff for each location. The physics shine once this is done. There still are some strange physics things going on though.

There are invisible puddles sometimes, and the car's reaction to puddles and water spots is way over-tuned. It is also not predictable based on your angle of entry, throttle position, or speed. You also get no feedback from running over some larger rocks or brush on the side of the stage. Curbs on tarmac stages are the exception.

Speaking of tarmac, the physics here are really good. The WRC cars tend to still be a little floaty, but proper suspension and diff tuning help with this.

Back to the FFB. I just upgraded this week to a CSL Elite 1.1 with the R330 wheel and universal hub and CSL Elite LC pedals.

The LC brake has made a huge difference, but it feels better in DR and DR2. The FFB in DR and DR2.0 now feel light-years beyond WRC 8 with my new hardware. I still have some tuning to do, but WRC 8 feels like canned feedback and vibrations now, to where DR and DR2 feel more natural; how I would expect the car and wheel to react. Tarmac still does feel better than the DR games, but even this has improved with the new wheel.

And let's talk about fps on console. It runs fairly smooth for 30fps on my One X. BUT......the low fps starts compounding problems as you get faster. When I had the TX dialed in with the car settings right, I was able to push top 25 in a number of stages, but at this speed the frame stutter and graphics wash out was interfering with the physics and my ability to react. 

TL;DR is that WRC 8 is a good game. It has its issues as does DR and DR2, but it's good. I would recommend if you want to play it seriously, do so on PC. The 30 fps limit on consoles will eventually hold you back. For asphalt rallies, it is much better than DR/DR2. On gravel, I still prefer DR/DR2. 

i have found using external ssd makes wrc 8 a lot smoother.

7 hours ago, watzcoc said:

i have found using external ssd makes wrc 8 a lot smoother.

That's interesting cause I had it on my external SSD at first and it was bad. It's pretty smooth on the internal.

That said, with my new setup, I am finding wrc 8 not much fun and am absolutely loving DR and DR 2. I have actually gone back to controller for WRC 8.

9 hours ago, SaxmanUSMC said:

That's interesting cause I had it on my external SSD at first and it was bad. It's pretty smooth on the internal.

That said, with my new setup, I am finding wrc 8 not much fun and am absolutely loving DR and DR 2. I have actually gone back to controller for WRC 8.

For instance, Horizon 4 is unplayable on internal HDD. I used SSD almost all the time for it and it's completely different experience. Battlefield V is the same so for some game it's a must.