PJTierney

This thread exists so that you guys don't flood the entire DR2 forum with news about non-Codemasters WRC games; keep all talk of those titles in here please¬†ūüôā¬†

Message added by PJTierney

No vertical suspension movement again in car ,...........................just "floating" over bumps like a Caddy unfortunately 

• Agree 1

I honestly found WRC 8 to be inferior to WRC7 in both handling (with a controller) and graphically, and its UI to be atrocious. 30fps on even the most powerful console available was a joke frankly. And I don't see any improvement in the above video. My impression is 'why do they bother'. I seriously doubt this studio will ever be capable of a game anywhere near the quality of DR.

• Agree 6

This new WRC 9 video... the roads like very flat, I know it's NZ but there's no look to the road like Dirt 2.0

Why no camber? Even the cars seem to float on the flat roads and not dig into the gravel.

I'm hoping, please change the co-driver voice... WRC 8 sounds dreary... 

Get someone like Seb Marshall! 

• Agree 1

Yup, I also can't see any improvements from WRC8 based on this video. I hope I'm wrong.

• Agree 3

Piece of **** ………………………...they really have to show improvemenst over previous ones as I got suckered to buy last two installments 

Posted (edited)

yikes. those graphics and lighting remind me of Dirt 2... Dirt 3 looked significantly better than this because the lighting was so good (or something... I don't know ass about this technical stuff)

now that the WRC series is back to yearly releases, I think we should be treating it like FIFA or other sports games that come out every year. you buy them for the new locations and to have the updated teams, but otherwise there isn't going to be a lot of difference other than small changes (hopefully improvements).

I liked WRC 8 for the different locations from DR2, and for the different interpretations they had for the locations that were in both games. the tarmac was also fun (as opposed to Spain in DR2 - DR2's Germany and MC are fine in my opinion).

but otherwise... there's like 5 cars in the game. WRC 9 will have 15 classic cars? DR2 has 42 (ie not R2/R5/RGT) in rally. also WRC series does not have RGT. the 1 bonus car in WRC 7 doesn't really count, does it?

Edited by ianism
  • Agree 2

IMAGINE IF THERE WAS NO DR AND THIS WAS ALL WE HAD TO PLAY

GO ON, IMAGINE IT

1253753760_MaxSchreckbetweentakes.jpg.10e7e78c6adba48e52d7abe106c0db09.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 5

I bought Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally 2.0 immediately for release and full price
WRC ? No way!
By the way, I have always liked the graphics at WRC since the PS4 games
I have all WRC games and they are all not bad but I didn't finish WRC8
except for a few countries, the routes have remained the same for a great many countries.......... boring and too few different routes
In the past, the argument for WRC was always the large number of countries,Dirt has 13 and Rallycross has 26 in total
At Dirt there are always new countries or cars and I love the historical cars : H1,H3 etc.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

IMAGINE IF THERE WAS NO DR AND THIS WAS ALL WE HAD TO PLAY

GO ON, IMAGINE IT ÔĽŅ

1253753760_MaxSchreckbetweentakes.jpg.10e7e78c6adba48e52d7abe106c0db09.jpg

This has been the case before
Dirt 3 is released in 2011 and Dirt Rally 2015

Posted (edited)

WRC 8 on Xbox One X with a controller is not very good to me. I'm not a fan of 30 fps for a racing game. The cars are extremely twitchy and the controls never seem good no matter how much I tweak them. The cars don't seem to carry inertia through turns. It seems like they almost stop or stall out around sharp turns and then get going again. It also seems like you can't steer the cars on throttle. Counter steering usually results in the car wagging down the stage in a fit of overcorrection to try and get the car pointed in the direction that I want it to go. The sound design for the game seems pretty poor. The fact that they only have a few cars (18 unique cars if you bought the extra legends pack) to do sounds for and they turned out like that is pretty sad. It sounds like a popcorn machine is strapped inside the car while driving over gravel and the sound of hitting standing water is pretty silly as well. I am not interested in the team management aspect of WRC 8 as I want to spend my time driving stages and not hiring/firing or unlocking an elaborate upgrade/perk tree. For me, having better tarmac physics is not enough of a draw to keep me playing the game when all of these other flaws exist. I have heard that on PC with a proper wheel setup, it is quite good but I have neither and expect it to work well on what I have. I don't feel that it does. Even things like the lack of a proper steering wheel rotation animation bug me and I am surprised that they think that is acceptable for 2019 standards. I know that people's opinions of the game vary greatly and accept that mine is just that, an opinion. For these reasons and more I will probably not be interested in purchasing WRC 9 unless there are significant improvements to all of these aspects. However, I don't think this will happen because I can't even find a forum to voice my opinions on these shortcomings so I am guessing they don't really want the feedback to improve their game.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
  • Agree 8

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:

This has been the case before
Dirt 3 is released in 2011 and Dirt Rally 2015

True, there was a time I was so hungry for a rally game, I remember playing Milestone's WRC titles and trying to convince myself they weren't that bad.

For me to buy WRC9, there must be significant improvements in ffb and handling. I don't care about graphics and 30 fps.

Edited by danielofifi
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, FlatOverCrest said:

Even things like the lack of a proper steering wheel rotation animation bug me and I am surprised that they think that is acceptable for 2019 standards.ÔĽŅ

I agree, the way the driver moves his hands in WRC8 is laughable, and it looks very similar in WRC9 I'm afraid. You can't be serious about a modern rally game with this type of animation.

• Agree 1

It needs to output telemetry data so that motion platforms and tactile setups can be used.   They had it in WRC4 but no other games since.  Real disappointment.

I remember the days when the WRC titles were developed by Evolution Studios. So much fun!

Wait... Hang on... I remember reading something about Evolution Studios devs...

OH OOOH OOOOOOOOOH! They're at Codemasters now working on future titles! SCORE!!!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

I remember the days when the WRC titles were developed by Evolution Studios. So much fun!

Wait... Hang on... I remember reading something about Evolution Studios devs...

OH OOOH OOOOOOOOOH! They're at Codemasters now working on future titles! SCORE!!!

giphy.gif

I wish you are correct here, because I had the Best times of my life with WRC II Extreme  all the way up to WRC Rally Evolved. I mean, Who doesnt miss hitting retired cars on the road, or avoiding falling rocks from cliffsides? That's what unexpected moments is all about. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, m260602 said:

I wish you are correct here, because I had the Best times of my life with WRC II Extreme  all the way up to WRC Rally Evolved. I mean, Who doesnt miss hitting retired cars on the road, or avoiding falling rocks from cliffsides? That's what unexpected moments is all about. 

Also people running from your car and co-pilot's comments before, after and in the middle of the stage. I remember he would sometimes praise you for good split times, encourage you to push, or even scream if you were pushing too hard. It really felt like a real person was sitting in the car with you. What a game that was, it's only weakness was that rallies were too short.

Edited by danielofifi
  • Like 3

At WRC8 even I notice that it runs with less FPS than Dirt 2.0 and I have no idea about technology
That really makes the difference and WRC 8 has tearing, I think even more than WRC7

• Agree 1

Problem on wrc game 

controler is very bad same Problem than tourist trophy isle of man 1 

Problem pace note timig ( But the note is not bad except square announced left 1 close rarely)

Car model is horrible especially in  onboard (For modern car you have Only  3 different cokpit Since wrc 7)

Car Sound  is bad very very bad 

New zealand  on wrc 9 gameplay trailer the road i is very large 

Porsche is very gripy on tarmac on wrc 8 ( I push differencial on max , more hard rear setup, hard tyres ...I test very high rear too just for laugh she is sticked lol)but lancia 037 slide lol

For wrc 9 i m afraid to see only 3 new rally and historic rally car ,  buy 60 euro  for that not for me now 

• Agree 1

new zealand IRL video

They got the colour of the gravel right at least. Other than that looks pretty underwhelming. 

In retrospec I have to say that I’ve been quite disapointed with WRC8. I was introduced to rally by Colin McRae Rally and Colin McRae Rally 2.0 for over 20 years ago, but from 2001 and up until february 2019, it was the WRC-games that was my favourites with WRC4 on Playstation 2 as my favourite game. Up to now, I don’t think that Codemasters has delivered more than medicore rally titles, mainly because of lack of content. But, finally in 2019 Codemasters delivers a proper rally game with a complete rally calendar. This time around it will be DR2.0 that is the benchmark, and I hope that will rise the quality of WRC9, because in WRC8 it seems that KT Racing has been sleeping on their laurels.