PJTierney

This thread exists so that you guys don't flood the entire DR2 forum with news about non-Codemasters WRC games; keep all talk of those titles in here please¬†ūüôā¬†

Message added by PJTierney

6 hours ago, Martinio32 said:

And again no you can't buy this separately. Clean your eyes better. 

Don't embarrass yourself, if you can't find the download-option in the store.
Not my problem.

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/p/wrc-9-fia-world-rally-championship/9nj3r4fn60rr?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Scroll down.
4 DLCs seperately, even the Pre-Order Audi quattro A2.
3,99‚ā¨ each (wich is an "ok" price tag).
It's cheaper to buy the deluxe edition, but if you want the physical version (like me), it's still possible to get everything.
So don't lie to others, please.

6 hours ago, Martinio32 said:

If you haven't played WRC 9 yet, you'd better not write anything about its technical aspects.

I do what I want, mate.
I play 3D-racing games since the mid-90s, I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Will not buy a game, just to judge if it's good. That would be stupid.
Better to find this out beforehand.

And from what I've seen it's an improvement over previous entries.
Has it better car physics than DR2.0? I really doubt it.

But definitely the better career mode and current gen WRC cars, wich is a huge double plus.
But no Group B wich is a big minus.

I know myself.
In the end I buy it anyway probably.
But I maybe should play WRC 6 & 7 first, because they are here unplayed since years!
And ordered WRC 8 Deluxe just 2 days ago.
SLRE is also here mostly unplayed (bad car physics, but some unique cars in there).
I even think about buying V-Rally 4, the only rally game (besides WRC 9) I don't own yet.

TOO MUCH RALLY GAMES TO PLAY!

Could have been done already with all these games, if Codemasters wouldn't have made such a great rally game, can't stop playing it.
So it's basically @PJTierney's fault!
Yes...that sounds right¬†ūüėÉ

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SaxmanUSMC said:

I would not recommend using WRC 8 to judge whether or not to buy 9. Just go straight to 9. To many improvements in the physics and dynamics of the cars to be able to judge this way.

I bought WRC 8 to have in the metal box ūüôā¬†I'll never open it.

I will also never play WRC 6-7-8 again! 

@UnderclassGDfan I have no idea what Martinio32's problem is with his replies... some sort of attitude but I think we get his point!

Edited by MattJelonek
  • Agree 1

Just now, MattJelonek said:

I bought WRC 9 to have in the metal box ūüôā¬†I'll never open it.

Do you mean WRC 8 or is there somewhere a metalbox/steelbook for WRC 9?

The only physical version I found for WRC 9 is the simple standard edition.
I'm a collector and always buy physical for my collection.

Just now, UnderclassGDfan said:

Do you mean WRC 8 or is there somewhere a metalbox/steelbook for WRC 9?

The only physical version I found for WRC 9 is the simple standard edition.
I'm a collector and always buy physical for my collection.

Yes, yes sorry! WRC 8!

I just woke up! Contemplating continuing to play WRC 9 (Digital Deluxe Edition), watch Day 2 of Rally Estonia or make my Father's day gift/food haha

• Like 1

Just now, MattJelonek said:

Yes, yes sorry! WRC 8!

I just woke up! Contemplating continuing to play WRC 9 (Digital Deluxe Edition), watch Day 2 of Rally Estonia or make my Father's day gift/food haha

I also watch WRC through WRC+, really exciting!
Didn't know before yesterday that there is an app for it on xbox one.
Really cool stuff happening over there.

Estonia is a really beautiful rally, nice landscapes and fast sections through the woods¬†ūüėć

But since I'm a rally-fan basically since this year (except rally games) and have a subscription since january, I just don't know wich driver I prefer yet, lol
Just a bit sad the Fiesta doesn't seem to be competitive at the moment.

9 hours ago, MattJelonek said:

Yes, yes sorry! WRC 8!

Lots of choices...hahah. I am watching the rally myself. So glad there is rally to watch again, and so far Estonia has been pretty good. ūüĎć

On 9/1/2020 at 7:02 PM, Martinio32 said:

You are totally wrong. Do you have played this game already? I have play from 3 days and there is more better improvements based on WRC 8 version. I suggest for you first play then later write something with sense not gibberish.

I did all three! Watched the Saturday highlights, played WRC 9 a bit... and was on twitch then made the food ūüôā

Wrc 9 is nothing like wrc 8. 

wrc 8 was awful. Was very sceptical about wrc 9 but I said I would try it and I have to say it is a massive massive improvement. 

I am actually enjoying playing it. Sure it’s not as good as dirt rally 2.0 but it is a very good effort, Took some time to set the wheel up to my liking But once I did I’ve found it challenging to play. 

all in all I think it’s worth buying wrc 9, a huge improvement.

• Agree 1

On 9/6/2020 at 1:21 AM, UnderclassGDfan said:

Don't embarrass yourself, if you can't find the download-option in the store.
Not my problem.

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/p/wrc-9-fia-world-rally-championship/9nj3r4fn60rr?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Scroll down.
4 DLCs seperately, even the Pre-Order Audi quattro A2.
3,99‚ā¨ each (wich is an "ok" price tag).
It's cheaper to buy the deluxe edition, but if you want the physical version (like me), it's still possible to get everything.
So don't lie to others, please.

I do what I want, mate.
I play 3D-racing games since the mid-90s, I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Will not buy a game, just to judge if it's good. That would be stupid.
Better to find this out beforehand.

And from what I've seen it's an improvement over previous entries.
Has it better car physics than DR2.0? I really doubt it.

But definitely the better career mode and current gen WRC cars, wich is a huge double plus.
But no Group B wich is a big minus.

I know myself.
In the end I buy it anyway probably.
But I maybe should play WRC 6 & 7 first, because they are here unplayed since years!
And ordered WRC 8 Deluxe just 2 days ago.
SLRE is also here mostly unplayed (bad car physics, but some unique cars in there).
I even think about buying V-Rally 4, the only rally game (besides WRC 9) I don't own yet.

TOO MUCH RALLY GAMES TO PLAY!

Could have been done already with all these games, if Codemasters wouldn't have made such a great rally game, can't stop playing it.
So it's basically @PJTierney's fault!
Yes...that sounds right¬†ūüėÉ

So they changed it because at the very beginning I couldn't buy the DLC separately, that's why I bought Deluxe where it was more profitable anyway.

The physics of cars is somewhere better in the new WRC as in DR2.0 in my opinion and you can feel the difference between the WRC / WRC2 / WRC3 cars and if WRC 9 had better graphics and additional effects, you can already talk about the rally game of the year.

In the new WRC 9 I do not complain about the lack of group B cars because the nature of the game and the series has a completely different message for players.  I do not want to buy the game under a current license to drive old rally cars easy, and even if it is only in the form of an option as an addition or a bonus, and so it is here too.

I recommend playing the more recent versions and assessing what post they made in this series because it is quite big.  Vrally4 is an interesting game but far removed from WRC9 or DR2.0 both of which are miles better.

Took me a while to get into WRC 8, but once I did I absolutely loved it. I've now got 9 installed but I'm waiting for my new Fanatec handbrake before I launch into it. Can't wait! I see a lot of WRC vs DR type debates, but for me they're perfectly separate. WRC covers the top level FIA aspect, DR games cover the more amateur clubman side of the sport, and for me they both cover their respective bases very well.

I also had no idea how many gamers have driven current-gen WRC and R5 cars! They must have done anyway, to be such an authority on their handling...

Never tried WRC 8 cause WRC 7 was unplayable caused by horrirble stuttering Issuses I was never able to solve. And as I researched I was not alone whith that. So... is there any Progress in WRC 9(PC Version) concerning these Problems? 

Edited by hampti

3 minutes ago, hampti said:

Never tried WRC 8 cause WRC 7 was unplayable caused by horrirble stuttering Issuses I was never able to solve. And as I researched I was not alone whith that. So... is there any Progress in WRC 9(PC Version) concerning these Problems? 

Buy the game. You won’t regret it.

So I bought WRC9, here is my opinion after a few days of playing:

Definitely a big improvement over the previous game, although not at the first glance. The most important change is in gravel handling, it feels much more intuitive and rewarding. The steering lag seems to be gone, the car behaves predictably. Tarmac is as good as in WRC8. I really like the new rallies, especially Japan and New Zealand. Sound and graphics have improved, slightly but still. Replays are nice. The damage model is still very unforgiving on realistic settings, which I like. Carreer mode seems the same as last year, it can be really addictive.

As for negatives, the biggest one is force feedback. It's quite bad at default settings, it took me many hours of tweaking to make my wheel feel like it should. Also, many annoying bugs from WRC8 carried over to the new game. You still get career objectives which are impossible to accomplish, extreme conditions events are still very frustrating if you play with permacrash on, AI needs balancing. And this dreadful hands on wheel animation, why they don't do anything about it is beyond me. Fortunately there is an option to turn the wheel off in cockpit mode.

And the most important question: is it better than Dirt Rally 2.0? Honestly, I don't know. It's dangerously close, but it lacks the polish that DR2.0 has. And as much as I enjoy the challenging stages in WRC9, I prefer 1:1 recreations of roads that DR2 offers. Suspension and weight transfer on gravel still feel slightly better in DR2.0 in my opinion, but going back to DR2's tarmac after playing WRC9 is very painful.

Edited by danielofifi
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 12:11 PM, danielofifi said:

So I bought WRC9, here is my opinion after a few days of playing:

Definitely a big improvement over the previous game, although not at the first glance. The most important change is in gravel handling, it feels much more intuitive and rewarding. The steering lag seems to be gone, the car behaves predictably. Tarmac is as good as in WRC8. I really like the new rallies, especially Japan and New Zealand. Sound and graphics have improved, slightly but still. Replays are nice. The damage model is still very unforgiving on realistic settings, which I like. Carreer mode seems the same as last year, it can be really addictive.

As for negatives, the biggest one is force feedback. It's quite bad at default settings, it took me many hours of tweaking to make my wheel feel like it should. Also, many annoying bugs from WRC8 carried over to the new game. You still get career objectives which are impossible to accomplish, extreme conditions events are still very frustrating if you play with permacrash on, AI needs balancing. And this dreadful hands on wheel animation, why they don't do anything about it is beyond me. Fortunately there is an option to turn the wheel off in cockpit mode.

And the most important question: is it better than Dirt Rally 2.0? Honestly, I don't know. It's dangerously close, but it lacks the polish that DR2.0 has. And as much as I enjoy the challenging stages in WRC9, I prefer 1:1 recreations of roads that DR2 offers. Suspension and weight transfer on gravel still feel slightly better in DR2.0 in my opinion, but going back to DR2's tarmac after playing WRC9 is very painful.

do cars actually understeer on tarmac in wrc9 ? just curious.Do you get the weight feel at speed on tarmac or can you just toss them with no weight like in wrc8 ? 

thanks 

6 hours ago, Madhun1967 said:

do cars actually understeer on tarmac in wrc9 ? just curious.Do you get the weight feel at speed on tarmac or can you just toss them with no weight like in wrc8 ? 

thanks 

Yes, the understeer is there if you push too much. As for the feeling of weight, DR2.0 does it better, and I played WRC8 a long time ago, so it's difficult for me to say if it has been improved. One thing I noticed is that car's behaviour can be influenced by a setup to a higher degree than in WRC8. Generally, you get the feeling like the car is more in contact with the surface than in WRC8. Overall the tarmac feels good, not at the level of, say, Assetto Corsa, but it's believable. It gives me SLRE vibes. 

Edited by danielofifi
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 4:09 PM, danielofifi said:

Yes, the understeer is there if you push too much. As for the feeling of weight, DR2.0 does it better, and I played WRC8 a long time ago, so it's difficult for me to say if it has been improved. One thing I noticed is that car's behaviour can be influenced by a setup to a higher degree than in WRC8. Generally, you get the feeling like the car is more in contact with the surface than in WRC8. Overall the tarmac feels good, not at the level of, say, Assetto Corsa, but it's believable. It gives me SLRE vibes. 

I personally feel the cars have great weight on tarmac, especially at speed. There is a better feeling now in WRC 9 of the downforce the WRC cars can generate at speed. Brakes can be used to tuck the nose in at speed on bends as well. 

Gravel feels better to me than DR2 now, specifically how you balance the car through bends. I still feel that braking on gravel is a tad to good, something DR2 does really well. I prefer the FFB as well. It's much improved over 8. Not to take away from DR2 though. I still play it and enjoy the hell out of it, and I feel that WRC 9 has actually made me a bit better at DR2.

• Agree 1

quick question: other than the 3 new locations in WRC9, are there any old locations that got new stages this year (like Monte Carlo, Wales and Germany got new stages in WRC8)?

also, were any locations from WRC8 taken out and replaced by Japan/NZ/Kenya?

@danielofifi Are you playing it on the PS4? If so, how's the frame-rate? Does it feel any smoother than last time?

And has the collision detection improved, or do you still bump weirdly from trackside objects or walls? Have those physics improved do you think? I found the cars to react in strange ways sometimes, whereas in DR2.0 its nearly 100% believable.

Oh boy:

https://medium.com/brit-gamer/wrc-9-versus-dirt-rally-2-0-on-controller-e21686b80b8c

He's absolutely nailed the problems with WRC 8, especially with a controller. It's awful and exactly as he describes.

I haven't tried 9, but this article has a ring of truth about it... That's the end of Kylotonn racing games for me. Next WRC game I purchase will be Codies first official title on the Xbox series X.

• Like 1

Except the control issue he identifies is with 9

And he says it's the same issue as 8

No way am I buying this. 8 was trash.

On 9/24/2020 at 12:50 PM, Jake Cushing said:

@danielofifi Are you playing it on the PS4? If so, how's the frame-rate? Does it feel any smoother than last time?

And has the collision detection improved, or do you still bump weirdly from trackside objects or walls? Have those physics improved do you think? I found the cars to react in strange ways sometimes, whereas in DR2.0 its nearly 100% believable.

Yes, I'm on PS4. I'm not an expert on the framerate, I'd say it's somewhere between ACC and DR2.0, definitely driveable and steady so good enough for me. 

The collision detection is... kind of hit and miss. Going off track and over the puddles improved considerably, most crashes look beliveable, but every once in a while you can have something strange happen. However, the mechanical damage model is more realistic than in DR2. You really have to take care of your car.

As for playing with the controller, I can't say anything, because I use a thrustmaster wheel and I'm telling you, after tweaking ffb the feeling is really, really good. The changes of surface, the control you have over the slides... honestly, this game does a better job at simulating modern rally cars than DR2. Driving historic rwd is still much better in DR2.0 though.

About the article you linked, I don't agree with this guy on many points, especially that tarmac is a grippier version of gravel. This is actually the case in DR2. In WRC9, it's a completely different surface.

On 9/23/2020 at 6:36 PM, ianism said:

quick question: other than the 3 new locations in WRC9, are there any old locations that got new stages this year (like Monte Carlo, Wales and Germany got new stages in WRC8)?

also, were any locations from WRC8 taken out and replaced by Japan/NZ/Kenya?

I think they're preparing new special stages for Finland and some other country that will be available sometime in the future. As for what's missing, there is no Australia and Spain. Maybe something else too, I can't remember.

Edited by danielofifi
  • Thanks 2

I only played WRC8 (also with a controller and also on PC), but most of the criticisms that medium article has of WRC9 I fully agree with. terrible UI, not great control, not great physics (disagree about tarmac though), bad co-driver (I've seen videos of WRC9 and yikes), damage model (just because it's easier to damage the car does not make the damage model more realistic than DR2)...

the fact that there's not many improvements/changes from the last game is unsurprising. as I've pointed out in another post, the WRC games are basically in the sports game category. small changes and updated car and location rosters every year, and that's about it.

I'm interested in these games because I like rallying in different locations from the Dirt series, but since I don't really care too much about the WRC, my interest is going to be limited by the quality of the games, and it's pretty clear that they're still just in the "ok to good" range, even if they're not shovelware anymore.

Edited by ianism